New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum? - Page 55 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREERough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #811
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Is this the same guy that said I couldn't make any judgements from your posts about your driving?
Why would I need anything better than a stock skid If I wasn't going use it? I have diff sliders and u-joint/yoke protection also. I feel sorry for the guys with LJ's.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #812
Goobersbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
We are not neglecting you. We are ingnoring you! J/K!

We have the design and run a few of them on our YJs. We just haven't had time to build them with all of the other stuff being built.

I think one will be made available.

Thanks,

Gerald
hahaha...So far I have the bumper and corners and love them even though I still can't install them But yea sometime around August I will be in the market for a Gas skid and I would love a savvy tie in some more aluminum and save some weight
Unread 06-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #813
Douglas S.

I would also be inclined to buy a Savvy GTS.
Unread 06-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #814
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Would that be the first Savvy skid with a dent?

Can we see some pics of the damage?
I've seen a few dents but nothing bad yet! I'm going to try next month on the Rubicon to see what I can do to the LJ!

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Unlimited Black Hole - The Ultimate LJ

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #815
explorerlyon

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
I'm looking forward to driving the LJ thru the Rubicon in July. It's been a while since I drove a 35" Jeep on the trails. Anyone doing the Jeeper's Jamboree in July?
I will be at the Jamboree (hopefully with your TT installed)
Unread 06-06-2010, 01:00 AM   #816
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerlyon View Post
I will be at the Jamboree (hopefully with your TT installed)
Look forward to seeing you!

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Unlimited Black Hole - The Ultimate LJ

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #817
sdlemaster

I read through several of the pages on this post and checked out the saavy website but couldn't find any clear information on requirements for this skid. Are there any requirements? I have a 1" body lift and a 1" mml. Is this enough to install this skid and gain some more clearance/protection? Thanks.
Unread 07-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #818
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlemaster View Post
I read through several of the pages on this post and checked out the saavy website but couldn't find any clear information on requirements for this skid. Are there any requirements? I have a 1" body lift and a 1" mml. Is this enough to install this skid and gain some more clearance/protection? Thanks.
It will work for you!
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #819
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got my gas tank in my skid, but I can't tell if it's down far enough, I don't think it is, but it doesn't seem to want to go any farther down. The tank is full right now because I thought I was going to get another week out of my fuel pump and that wasn't so. So I'm held up right now because the fuel pump I got was broken in the box and I need to figure out how to get the tank farther down into the skid. Here are the pics of where I'm at now. Thanks

Oh and I painted mine black (I didn't have much paint, so I didn't paint the bottom yet, I can paint the bottom when it's in)
img_1031.jpg   img_1032.jpg   img_1033.jpg   img_1034.jpg   img_1035.jpg  

jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #820
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just noticed that there are welds on the skid. From doing some research about welding 6061 T6, I found out that welding on it can reduce its strength by up to 80% changing its grade (unless it has been aged or heat treated again).
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #821
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
I got my gas tank in my skid, but I can't tell if it's down far enough, I don't think it is, but it doesn't seem to want to go any farther down. The tank is full right now because I thought I was going to get another week out of my fuel pump and that wasn't so. So I'm held up right now because the fuel pump I got was broken in the box and I need to figure out how to get the tank farther down into the skid. Here are the pics of where I'm at now. Thanks

Oh and I painted mine black (I didn't have much paint, so I didn't paint the bottom yet, I can paint the bottom when it's in)
When I installed mine I put a bit of grease around the inside lip of the skid to help it slide all the way down.
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #822
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
When I installed mine I put a bit of grease around the inside lip of the skid to help it slide all the way down.
I thought about that, but I said "hey, let's try to just sit it in place to see how tight it's going to fit" and it fell in a good bit so I tried to push it farther, I think it will be easier to deal with tomorrow if I drain the tank.
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #823
JeepFund
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
I just noticed that there are welds on the skid. From doing some research about welding 6061 T6, I found out that welding on it can reduce its strength by up to 80% changing its grade (unless it has been aged or heat treated again).
I'm glad you noticed this, though no one will likely reply. That's the issue I have with the Savvy front bumpers too. They are welded on the front corners... which is pretty bash-able.

Structurally I'm sure it's fine, but if it's welded, it's not really 6061 T6 in that area anymore.

ΞlllllllΞ
JeepFund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #824
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFund View Post
I'm glad you noticed this, though no one will likely reply.

We have not ever hid the fact that we weld 6061 T-6 and well know that when you do so, it does change it's strength.

Now then, everyone who has had a skid failure due to our welds failing or any other failure, please raise your hand???

That's right, no one, not a single weld failure, not a single skid failure and we have encouraged folks to beat them mercilessly. There's more to engineering a skid that just bending up some metal and slapping it together.

If you pay close attention to the design, the welds are designed in such a manner that they merely hold the sides in and add some structural integrity to help hold the shape. Now, if you manage to catastrophically damage the welds on a horridly fun trail somewhere, the steel mounting flanges are made in such a way that there are bolts through the sides to keep them somewhat in place should you shear all the welds loose.

Quote:
That's the issue I have with the Savvy front bumpers too. They are welded on the front corners... which is pretty bash-able.
Hmmmm, let me see, oh, that's right, that's why they are called BUMPERS, because you bump into things with them. The bumper is bent up out of one piece of aluminum sheet and two little flaps are folded to make the corner. The structural part that holds the winch in place with the fairlead mount is where the strength needs to be and is. There's not a steel folded bumper made that isn't susceptible to having the corners mangled and I should know, I've done it to at least five of them.

Typically though, if I have an issue with something, I tend to avoid it. You're welcome to do the same.

Quote:
Structurally I'm sure it's fine, but if it's welded, it's not really 6061 T6 in that area anymore.
And???

Last edited by mrblaine; 07-04-2010 at 01:19 AM..
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #825
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
I thought about that, but I said "hey, let's try to just sit it in place to see how tight it's going to fit" and it fell in a good bit so I tried to push it farther, I think it will be easier to deal with tomorrow if I drain the tank.
If you look in the corners where the drains are, you can see that it's all the way down. Although, you should have put the tank straps on first before you dropped the tank in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.