New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-10-2009, 12:17 AM   #61
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch740 View Post
I want wheel well to well rocker guards with at tube on the side for an LJ. Also full aluminum corner gurads with a tube and as much stretch as you can get with the tank under the jeep and using your savvy skid. Better hurry up before I get a spool gun for my welder

Seriously though I really like seeing aluminum armor coming to the market place. I estimate my armor skids and bumpers are adding 400lbs and thats without a rear bumper or gas tank skid If I can cut that in half I will be very happy.
We've got about the same estimates and it's going to be interesting to see just how much weight we can save without giving up any protection.

Quote:
How well does aluminum tube bend vs steel? Also hows it hold up against rocks/trees such as sliders see on a regular basis? Is that even an option or maybe thats why you used plastic stock on this rig.
I don't know that much about aluminum tube. That's not plastic. That's steel bent and painted. Very good product.

Quote:
Running a top most the time I dont want to mess it up and my side armor and rocker guards have saved it more than I can count.
I think we will have a solution that will get you covered.

Unread 05-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #62
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I don't know that much about aluminum tube. That's not plastic. That's steel bent and painted. Very good product.
I think we will have a solution that will get you covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes69 View Post
Where's the plastic?
Ah though that would be plastic. Wouldnt that be lighter and weigh less? OH and I am talking about the black strip on the corner armor not the rocker gurads.

OH and whats that solution. Im already applying for jobs in CA so I can lose the top totally .

Last edited by Scotch740; 05-10-2009 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: quoting
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #63
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
can you say aluminum?
NO. I'm British. All I can say is aluminium.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #64
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreak4life7 View Post
NO. I'm British. All I can say is aluminium.

We'll forgive you. We know what you meant even if you can't say it right. The bad part is they even spell it wrong.
Unread 05-10-2009, 12:35 AM   #65
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ah though that would be plastic. Wouldnt that be lighter and weigh less? OH and I am talking about the black strip on the corner armor not the rocker gurads.
I knew which strip you were referring to. Any plastic that would stand up to the abuse in that area wouldn't weigh much less and certainly wouldn't cost less. Look up the weight of 1" x 2" black Delrin and see what it costs per foot.

Quote:
OH and whats that solution. Im already applying for jobs in CA so I can lose the top totally .
The solution will follow the same philosphy we built the tank skid around. Light weight, good engineering, creative use of materials, and cost effective manufacturing practices to give the customer the best value possible for money spent. There's a bit of a down turn in the economy, so everyone is needing help with their money right now and that was the impetus that got us started.

We are committed to bringing solid products to market that deliver higher performance for every hard earned dollar you spend. There's a reason we are selling direct and it's purely to keep costs down as low as possible and give us enough profit to continue developing good stuff.
Unread 05-10-2009, 12:56 AM   #66
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

A 3' 1x2 piece of black derlin is about $25 more than steel. So additional $50 total. Not too bad but thats coming from me who likes DIY. Didnt see a weight but guessing you know what it is. Whats the difference?

Whoops correction The derlin would be about $25 more per side. So $50 total aprox so $/lbs saving would be 1.56 $/lb

Ah found some weight. 30% glass reinforced (Delrin) .058 pound/cubic inch vs steel at 0.283 pound/cubic inch. SO a 3' section would save about 16lbs per side so 32lbs total. Not bad IMHO.

Edit:
Costs came from McMaster.

Densitys came from http://www.thelenchannel.com/1density.php
Steel, Mild C10100 .284

Acetal, unreinforced (DelrinŽ) .049
Acetal, 10% glass reinforced (DelrinŽ) .055
Acetal, 20% glass reinforced (DelrinŽ) .056
Acetal, 30% glass reinforced (Delrin) .058

Last edited by Scotch740; 05-10-2009 at 01:18 AM..
Unread 05-10-2009, 06:44 AM   #67
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You're more than welcome to paint or powdercoat it. The nice thing about that is when you scratch it, you don't have to worry about it rusting. Can you tell I hate rust with a passion?

The 50 dollar difference is only in the raised position. If you have a stocker without a body lift, there's a small matter of a set of spacers that has to be acquired.
Also, shipping for any other skid will be between $30-75, It is possible ours will be even less and they'll have the best skid out there.

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 07:04 AM   #68
red rubi
So long pal!

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
Good things come to those that wait!

I just ordered mine.
red rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #69
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
Thanks everyone for the reception! Blaine and I (well Blaine) have been working really hard to provide the best possible skid and products to you for a reasonable price.

We just became a vendor here so I hope it's OK now to try and explain further what we are doing and have planned in the future. The skid is our first product we have brought to market and is the tip of the iceberg.

The dimple!
I like the new dimple, it's sexy!!!
skidproto-002-2-e.jpg  
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #70
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rubi View Post

I just ordered mine.
Thanks for your order! You won't be dissapointed!

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #71
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A 3' 1x2 piece of black derlin is about $25 more than steel. So additional $50 total. Not too bad but thats coming from me who likes DIY. Didnt see a weight but guessing you know what it is. Whats the difference?

Whoops correction The derlin would be about $25 more per side. So $50 total aprox so $/lbs saving would be 1.56 $/lb

Ah found some weight. 30% glass reinforced (Delrin) .058 pound/cubic inch vs steel at 0.283 pound/cubic inch. SO a 3' section would save about 16lbs per side so 32lbs total. Not bad IMHO.

Edit:
Costs came from McMaster.

Densitys came from http://www.thelenchannel.com/1density.php
Steel, Mild C10100 .284

Acetal, unreinforced (DelrinŽ) .049
Acetal, 10% glass reinforced (DelrinŽ) .055
Acetal, 20% glass reinforced (DelrinŽ) .056
Acetal, 30% glass reinforced (Delrin) .058
The steel corners would be figured as a piece of 3/16's that is 4" wide.
Unread 05-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #72
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rubi View Post

I just ordered mine.
Cool... I'm trying to see if I can sell my Kilby to someone in my club, or some one local to try to upgrade to the Savvy Off-road one...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 09:36 AM   #73
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got too far off topic Ill PM ya.

Last edited by Scotch740; 05-10-2009 at 09:56 AM..
Unread 05-10-2009, 09:53 AM   #74
Chris_Hearn
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ordered!!!
2001 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L, 5 spd, AEM Brute Force Intake, MangnaFlow Cat-Back exhaust, 4" pro-comp lift, 16X8 AEV wheels, 305/70 MT BAJA CLAWS, 4 KC hilighters, off road bumpers, nerf bars, eclipse avn 7000 dvd/nav. polk speakers,cb radio and PA system, warn 9500ti winch, seat covers, jks quicker disconnects, door guards, new rocker guards, and clear corners, lockers and new steering is in the mail, tub is linex'ed

03 Sonic Blue Cobra
Chris_Hearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #75
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice looking skid.

Alum tubing is almost useless to try and bend. Alum tears when it's stretched. You can get some bends in it, but forget trying to get a sharp/tight bend in it. You can work around this in various ways mainly by cutting angles and welding them together, or by using a large gradual radius in the corners like seen in the gas tank skid.

I'm sure mrblaine knows this I'm just educating the masses.

I'm also curious as to why mrbaline would believe that swiss made 6061 T-6 would be any better than what he could get stateside?? Everyone at all the cool places use "Aircraft grade aluminum."

Kidding aside 6061 is pretty damn consistent. The raw surface finish will vary from one supplier to another, but overall there is very little difference if none in overall quality from my experience.

Delrin sucks IMO. Too brittle. UHMW is where it's at. Has strength properties of nylon but higher melting point so it's easy to work with.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.