New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum? - Page 49 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum?

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCOR

Unread 12-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #721
whitejeeptj

Still waiting.....

Is there a hold up on production of the gas tank skid?? I ordered it on 11/16/09 from Poly I emailed them about a week back about it and no answer. I plan on calling tomorrow, but wanted to check here.

Unread 12-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #722
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejeeptj View Post
Is there a hold up on production of the gas tank skid?? I ordered it on 11/16/09 from Poly I emailed them about a week back about it and no answer. I plan on calling tomorrow, but wanted to check here.
Gas tank skids are in stock.
Unread 12-08-2009, 03:18 AM   #723
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have any shop in my island that can do powder coating ,and i want the skid to be black,is there any way savvy can powder coat it for me and then ship it,for extra charge of course?

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
jeep2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 06:56 AM   #724
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Self-etching primer and spraypaint go a long way, and you can touch them up yourself; as high clearance as it is, you'll still probably bash it against rocks occasionally. Paint is a lot easier to keep looking good than powdercoat IMO.

2005 TJ Sport, Light Khaki Metallic
RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25 BL, JKS 1 BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #725
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
Self-etching primer and spraypaint go a long way, and you can touch them up yourself; as high clearance as it is, you'll still probably bash it against rocks occasionally. Paint is a lot easier to keep looking good than powdercoat IMO.
x2 for that. The problem with powdercoat is that the only way to touch it up it to either put some paint on top, or have the whole thing recoated. At that point you are just better off with the rattle can.

The other option would be to buy a powdercoater yourself, but to do the skid would require an oven large enough to get the skid into. The last option is a bed liner, but this runs into the same problems offered with the powdercoating.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #726
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

The guys above know their stuff. Much easier to rattle can it after a good self etching primer.

Thanks guys!

Gerald

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 07:48 AM   #727
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
The guys above know their stuff. Much easier to rattle can it after a good self etching primer.

Thanks guys!

Gerald
Wow Gerald, I believe that is the first time I have had a complete blanket cover over my Jeep knowledge. I am startign to like you even more and more...

btw, I don't know my stuff that well.... I have just have common sense when it comes to abusing paint, powdercoat, and bedliner. I just listed them in ascending order of strength, and PITA to repair all at the same time (well... bedliner would be easier to repair, but it would require some mixing of new stuff).

Edit: I forgot to address whiteJeepTJ here. I would talk to poly again, and if they can't ship your skid by today (or tomorrow depending on when you talk to them), just cancel the order and order directly from Gerald. I hear he has an amazing deal running right now.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 12-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #728
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post

Thanks guys!

Gerald
Thank you all for your answers!I was just under the impression that when regarding bumpers,rock sliders and underbody skids it's much better to powder coat them (in greece we call it electrostatic painting) than just prime and normaly paint them.And that is because normal painting cannot take much abuse and can easily cheap away with little stones or when you even step on your sliders etc.

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
jeep2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #729
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Use a good self etching primer, and that shouldn't happen nearly as much. The primer actually etches the metal, and gives it something to hang on to. It still won't stand up to a beating as well as a powdercoat, but it's way easier to touch up. Sliding against rocks, powdercoat will come off too; but you can't just reach under the Jeep and spray more of that on.

2005 TJ Sport, Light Khaki Metallic
RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25 BL, JKS 1 BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #730
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
Use a good self etching primer, and that shouldn't happen nearly as much. The primer actually etches the metal, and gives it something to hang on to. It still won't stand up to a beating as well as a powdercoat, but it's way easier to touch up. Sliding against rocks, powdercoat will come off too; but you can't just reach under the Jeep and spray more of that on.
So true... self etching primer ftw. I find that Rustoleum bare metal primer has a lot of grab. Powder coating then painting wouldn't be that bad, but I would rather do bedliner and then paint. I don't know about availability of the stuff in Greece though.

Have fun painting that think, and post some pics here if you manage to scratch it (well... it you catch a rock and chip the paint, it would be cool to see the aluminum coming through).

I forgot to mention, the aluminum scratches a little easier, so it may make powdercoating or bedliner more susceptible to chips. Good luck.
Unread 12-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #731
Sobie
Bolt-on Maniac

I dont know how other bedliners are, but dont coat it with hurculiner. I preped my tummy skid right and put hurc on it figuring it would hold up better to the rocks. It doesnt chip as easy as paint, but once it started to chip, it pealed away in strips. I had to remove the skid and strip the hurc. I rattle canned it, which works better for me.
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:24 AM   #732
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My Skid is on the way! Thanks, Blaine and Gerald!
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #733
whitejeeptj

My skid is installed and looking good!

Install was very easy. Thanks
Unread 01-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #734
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejeeptj View Post
My skid is installed and looking good!

Install was very easy. Thanks
Perfect! Let's see a picture or it didn't happen!

Thanks for supporting Savvy!

Gerald

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #735
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I need to get one of these suckers so I have a reason to drop my tank an figure out why my fuel filler doesn't work right

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.