New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum? - Page 47 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum?

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #691
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Even with the 1.25"BL are we going to have issues fitting if we have one of the aftermarket linkage adapters on the top of the TC?
Quite possible. Our TT is not going to be easy to just bolt in. There are some cool parts being design to make it happen. We may recommend some others to make it easier for you to install the TT as well.

Gerald

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Unlimited Black Hole - The Ultimate LJ

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #692
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
Quite possible. Our TT is not going to be easy to just bolt in. There are some cool parts being design to make it happen. We may recommend some others to make it easier for you to install the TT as well.

Gerald
Thanks. That's sort of what I figured. Screwed up the factory linkage on mine when doing BL and MML (I know probably shouldn't have had to touch it, but we all learn by doing) so put one of the adaptors on. Definitely open to suggestions about what to do with it.

Slightly different, but related question - are there things we could be doing now to get ready or is best to just wait and see what the "whole package" involves? For instance, maybe I should go ahead and put adjustable rear upper arms in now? I keep hear you being touted as a great source for the Currie arms.
Unread 11-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #693
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Clear your mail box.

Gerald
Done, sorry about that. I really should get a membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRose
something big and fun
-Rudy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #694
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Thanks. That's sort of what I figured. Screwed up the factory linkage on mine when doing BL and MML (I know probably shouldn't have had to touch it, but we all learn by doing) so put one of the adaptors on. Definitely open to suggestions about what to do with it.

Slightly different, but related question - are there things we could be doing now to get ready or is best to just wait and see what the "whole package" involves? For instance, maybe I should go ahead and put adjustable rear upper arms in now? I keep hear you being touted as a great source for the Currie arms.
Adjustable upper control arms will be a must as you'll be pushing everything up neccessitating a pinon angle change. A PM will be sent.

Thanks,

Gerald

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
Unread 12-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #695
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

I wanted to update this thread after we got back from JV testing the full product line. I thought for sure we would get major damage on a couple of the rigs in our group. The guys have no fear when it comes to beating up the armor on their Jeeps.

Turns out that the Savvy Gas Tank is not getting used as a skid. The LJ and two TJs that ran all over the Hammers could only get a few minor scratches. Because of the improved clearance and rolled edge design they didn't take any monster hits like they normally do.

I'm completely confident that we have the best TJ/LJ stock skid replacement on the market!

Thanks for all of your support! Look for the Holiday give away this weekend!

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
Unread 12-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #696
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Gerald. Time for the tough questions on that TT. You seem to be worse at dodging them than MrBlaine (he could be a politician in his spare time with the nondescript asnwers he provides for unreleased stuff). Have you guys considered the 03-06 42rle stock vibe conundrum when designing it? If you don't know what it is (I have done a lot of browsing on here, and I have barely found a reasonable explination for it).

The problem here lies with the deep overdrive gear that is inside the tranny. When it locks the torque converter entering OD, the RPM drops, creating a lot of resistance (does 45 at 1200 rpm sound low to you?). This increased load at such a low range creates a vibe in the skid plate that is actually from the tranny, and not from the usually driveshaft. A former Jeep engineer working for Nth Degree had this to say about it:
Quote:
Vibrations on an 03+ automatic trans TJ

There are several ‘built in’ vibration problems with ‘03+ TJ’s – though ironically the biggest one is usually solved by ditching the factory center skid because it ‘drums’ in response to normal powertrain vibes (which the engine/trans mounts usually absorb). If you have an automatic trans, there is a wavering ‘droning’ sound that happens whenever the trans is in OD – because the .69:1 ratio aligns with the third-order firing frequency of the I-6 engine – you can’t escape this issue except to use the OD lockout button to keep the trans from shifting into OD so prematurely. If this sounds like your issue, try hitting the OD lockout button while driving between 45-55mph and see if it makes the issue go away – then you know what it is.
The link to an archive page with the old faq: myjeeptj.com Blog Archive Nth Degree Jeep TJ tech

If you guys have that taken care of, I would definitly consider the savvy skid. One of the biggest reasons why I haven't really done anything after finding this out was the expectation of being able to get savvy myself. It is a really annoying issue, especially since my Jeep is COMPLETLY stock.

I hope that either helps make the product better, or at least confirms my hopes of finally being able to get rid of the annoyance. (Hey.... am I considered beta worthy?!?!? I doubt you can find anyone who can articulate words as well as me, and also happens to be in my situation. You can overlook the whole 3k mile distance thing )

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to see that new skid
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #697
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

All I can say is on my 03, 04 and 05 I haven't experienced the vibes you describe. That's not to say they aren't there. I just don't feel them.

With that said, our TT has it's own xmember for the tc and trans then the flat skid is supported by it and frame rails. You will not experience the hamonic vibration of a stock skid.

Thanks

Gerald

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
Unread 12-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #698
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
All I can say is on my 03, 04 and 05 I haven't experienced the vibes you describe. That's not to say they aren't there. I just don't feel them.

With that said, our TT has it's own xmember for the tc and trans then the flat skid is supported by it and frame rails. You will not experience the hamonic vibration of a stock skid.

Thanks

Gerald
Wow... that is great to hear.
Is there anyway to get some numbers on just how much higher the skid gets the t-case. With and without a bl (if it is possible to skip the BL). I would prefer to do a skid before a lift, especially since I can probably get away with a mod to kill the vibe. I won't have the money to do both a skid, and new ds/sye with rear UCAs. If the numbers add up, I may have a savvy future.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 12-05-2009, 12:41 AM   #699
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Required BL will come with kit. Don't be afraid of a BL because you can only make your Jeep more capable with one. Our skid will be cost effective. However, to install it will not be. You will need at least adj upper control arms to set the pinion angles, exhaust mod and SYE/CV DS. On the 03+ you will gain at least 4" belly height. That's like putting 8" larger tires!

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
Unread 12-05-2009, 01:12 AM   #700
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Required BL will come with kit. Don't be afraid of a BL because you can only make your Jeep more capable with one. Our skid will be cost effective. However, to install it will not be. You will need at least adj upper control arms to set the pinion angles, exhaust mod and SYE/CV DS. On the 03+ you will gain at least 4" belly height. That's like putting 8" larger tires!
I am all for a BL, in fact, I am planning on doing one one day, I just don't know when. When I got rear ended, my shop was going to have to take the body off to weld the new rear crossmeber in, but they were thankfully able to straighten and strengthen the existing one. Taking the body off would have meant money out of our pocket because there was no way our body shop would put it back on with the current body mounts. They are dry rotted, just not the the point of causing damage issues. I have decided that a BL that replaces them would be the way to go, especially since they allow for full clearance TT, and higher gas skids.

As for needing a sye/ds and UCAs. I was also planning on those, but I was hoping to be able to avoid them for now. This vibe was my first issue. Since I won't be able to get away with 4" of clearance and no vibes, I will just have to suck it up and burn through the money needed to do it right. That just means it will have to wait some. There is no point in getting rid of a vibe that doesn't cause issue, just to get another vibe that will actually cause problems.

I couldn't care less about exhaust mods. The stock system is fine, but it sounds like it wants to die above 3k rpm. I believe the Flowmaster 40 series is much shorter than the stock one, and it should fit the bill for any required mods. I may be wrong there though. It only took 2 hours, and $100 to do my dad's Dakota with all of the parts and muffler. The biggest PITA was that his truck is lowered, and it was very cramped trying to work under a truck that has ~32" of clearance when jacked up.

Time to start hiding some more money to do the sye/ds. I think it is really cool that the kit will come with the necessary bl. Have you guys determined a size for it? I would imagine it will fall around 1"-1.25". Will it replace the factory bushings? If so, I would be all over that.

I really appreciate all of the answers. I almost started building my Jeep a few months ago (well, actually more than 1 year ago), but the mother issue got in the way, even with my own money. I guess it is a good thing in the long run since I have learned so much more. I would have already messed the Jeep up with a less than ideal BB with stock shocks.

Keep up the great work guys. I can't wait to see the pics of this thing.
Unread 12-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #701
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Turns out that the Savvy Gas Tank is not getting used as a skid.
Trust me, mine's ended up playing the role of skid. I've come down HARD on a mostly unavoidable outcropping and otherwise pushed around and against rocks with it, and it's held up perfectly. No dents or dings, just rock rash. I agree with you in that I am also convinced you have the best tank skid out there, but that's still keeping in mind its role and performance as a skid...
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #702
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

May need to ditch the Rokmen
Unread 12-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #703
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGriffith View Post
May need to ditch the Rokmen
Plenty of people will want the Rokmen skid. They make a very good stock replacement skid. We just like more clearance and less weight. Our Jeeps are getting so heavy with all of the armor we put on them.

I'm just getting mine down to 4400# now. I was in the 4800# range when i completed the latest rebuild. I'm hoping for even lighter once I replace my TT and move the gas tank behind the seats.

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
Unread 12-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #704
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I really like the idea of the seperate crossmember. That would make life a lot easier working under my jeep. The 2" more and light weight would too...Speaking from a performance point of view though, the Rokmen skid has been great, and has held up wonderfully.
Unread 12-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #705
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Holiday Special on the GTS for Jeep Forum Member! Free Shipping!

PM for details.

Happy Holidays!

Gerald
Savvy Off Road
714-803-0909

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.