New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #31
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

i knew i was holding out on a replacement for a reason

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #32
southtxdstroyer
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Seeing as Jerry is a well respected member of this forum and a personal friend who wheels on difficult stuff, he was kind enough to beta test one of these for us and give some needed feedback.

We've also asked robncar to do some testing as well and look forward to his reactions.
yeah i understood that, but i was just curious as to how well a steel gas tank skid held up to rough wheeling after 11 years

and just so you know, id be glad to be your guinea pig for beta testing new stuff
southtxdstroyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #33
jcook793
Hi Mom

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've been putting off the gas tank skid for too long. Count me in for 1!
jcook793 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #34
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtxdstroyer View Post
i was just curious as to how well a steel gas tank skid held up to rough wheeling after 11 years
Not bad, dent and gouge/scrape-wise, but it's a PITA after most wheeling trips to have to wire brush it and re-paint it to keep the rust at bay. So in addition to no more rust worries, the new aluminum skidplate's reduced weight will be nice because my TJ is getting up there weight-wise.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #35
southtxdstroyer
2006 LJ Wrangler 

yeah, steel sucks like that
the aluminum one is extremely cool
southtxdstroyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #36
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtxdstroyer View Post
yeah i understood that, but i was just curious as to how well a steel gas tank skid held up to rough wheeling after 11 years

and just so you know, id be glad to be your guinea pig for beta testing new stuff
Steel holds up well. It always has, but it comes with some penalties including expense and weight and continued maintenance.

I hate rust with a passion and for those that run steel skids, I have a few pics I'll be putting up that show what can happen to powder coated steel where you would least expect it. This is in an environment that one would never consider to be part of the salt belt.
Unread 05-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #37
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice. It's about time someone jumped on the aluminum bandwagon. And the no rust part is a BIIIIIIIG Plus!

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #38
Kiwi Jeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch740 View Post
Anyone got weights on other aftermarket skids? Specifically Rokmens?
It weighs 26 kilos, thats what the galvanising place and the freight company told me the weight of the "object" was They didn't know what it was!
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #39
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Jeeper View Post
It weighs 26 kilos, thats what the galvanising place and the freight company told me the weight of the "object" was They didn't know what it was!
26 kg = 57.2 lbs for the english guys

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #40
Kiwi Jeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would be keen for tummy tuck for older TJs. I like your work and attitude.

I had my steel one hot dip galvanished before painting to avoid rust. Hopefully that should last a few years.
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #41
servozn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just because 6061 doesn't rust, it will still corrode. I would still recommend a coat of paint on an aluminum piece of structure. At least some alodine if you can get it, just don't leave the bare metal. As for 6061, we use it a lot and it is a very well behaved aluminum, even in space. Also easily repairable. As for making the corners blaine, I would recommend forming the primary structure and then doing the heat treat, if you can. I know Alcan will sell you material in the T-0 temper.
nice idea, i cringe every time i add more steel to my jeep.

edited for spelling
Unread 05-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #42
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I was just about to ask about those brackets and if they'd be a weak point, and then I continued to read. Knowing who's involved I don't have to ask anything more about it.
I'll buy one of these even though my Kilby is still holding strong, just for the weight savings behind the rear axle. I recently weighed my Jeep, Steer axle 2280 + drive axle 2400 = 4680#. I need to put it on a diet.
Unread 05-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #43
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by servozn View Post
Just because 6061 doesn't rust, it will still corrode. I would still recommend a coat of paint on an aluminum piece of structure. At least some alodine if you can get it, just don't leave the bare metal. As for 6061, we use it a lot and it is a very well behaved aluminum, even in space. Also easily repairable. As for making the corners blaine, I would recommend forming the primary structure and then doing the heat treat, if you can. I know Alcan will sell you material in the T-0 temper.
nice idea, i cringe every time i add more steel to my jeep.

edited for spelling
I'm well aware of the -0 temper and seriously considered it, but I don't have a good local heat treater that can bring it up to the -6 temper when I'm finished with the forming.

Since I need two separate parts to make the design work, I would only save a few pounds by making the mounts in aluminum and then the costs would go up because laser cutting aluminum is not accurate, much slower, requires much more clean-up and then I have to get the heat treating done.

The design is a pretty good blend of materials and their usage in the right areas.

But, it's nice to find someone who understands aluminum enough to know what -0 temper is.
Unread 05-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #44
Dukes69

AIM: Dukes69

Ya Savvy?

Last edited by Dukes69; 05-09-2009 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: dead links
Dukes69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #45
BeerMe
1975 CJ5 

Blaine,

Good work. I come from a family of pilots and I grew up working on small airplanes with my Father, I am also an avid mountainbiker, so I know how amazing aluminum can be. I am declaring a moratorium on all my armor purchases until I see your entire product line. In fact I have a feeling I will be replacing a few of my less than savvy purchases with your products.

Last edited by BeerMe; 05-09-2009 at 10:14 PM..
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.