New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum? - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #316
Humboldt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
Joe,

Was your rear cross member bent up or just the stock skid? It looks like the stock tank skid is up on the right side. My 2003 looked similar and I had to spend some time with a 3 pounder to get it back in shape. The new mounting bracket was designed so this won't happen again.

Thanks for the pictures the Jeep looks great!

Gerald
The stock skid was bashed in really bad on the pass front and was getting worse since the stock mount on that side was failing. Once those front mounts buckle, it takes that rear crossmember and twists it up. Thath let the whole tank push up a couple inches since the body lift left so much space for it to move up with the stock skid.

True to my nonsavvy self, I didn't think to straighten the rear crossmember until I had the tank and skid in place trying to put the far right nut on the crossmember Fortunately I was able to catch a thread on the bolt and get it tightened. It pulled the crossmember back into shape when I got them all torqued down.

Humboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #317
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

After yesterday's day on the rocks, the new Savvy skidplate held up to some amazing (!!!) hits that were so hard that a few of them hurt. In fact, the skidplate held up far better than my Jeep did. The skidplate earned some pretty serious scratches but nothing that could be considered a gouge or dent, I'm impressed... really! I didn't expect to be able to test it as thoroughly as it was but tested it was on Pumpkin Eater at Hi-Desert Roundup in the SOCAL desert.

So the skidplate held up to the rocks very well but the at the end of Pumpkin Eater (a tough local rock crawling trail), it got a little crazy after taking one last extra optional loop.

After a control arm mounting bolt broke and shifted the rear axle forward, it went downhill from there... the rear driveshaft broke at the yoke, a driveshaft u-joint broke (edit: I just found the D44 pinion yoke was damaged too), a wheel broke, the upper-rear control arm bracket was torn off the axle, a control arm mounting bolt broke, the ignition coil gave up, and I'm beat. Not to mention the huge Chuckwalla lizard a dog chased under my Jeep that ran up me and over my face while I was laying underneath working on the Jeep. My back is toast from laying on the rocks 90 minutes repairing what I could on the trail, at least I had a lot of help from some really great guys (Desert Dawgs 4x4 club) on the run and I'm thankful one of them had a welder for the torn control arm mount. Another (Desert Dawg and JF member Joe Smith) had a spare driveshaft he generously loaned me. I lost track but the carnage in our group that day wasn't confined to me... we had a couple broken axle shafts, broken Warn hub, broken axle tube, another broken control arm mount, and a few others. At least the Savvy skidplate came through with nary a wimper. I think I'll go take a nap now.

Edit 6/4/09 by JB: I just received a new replacement rear driveshaft together with a new t-case output shaft yoke and Dana 44 yoke from driveshaft guru Tom Wood. It's been a long time since I've had a new driveshaft and I have to say, a Tom Wood driveshaft is a work of art. I'll be installing it this coming weekend.
cimg3167.jpg   cimg3161.jpg   cimg3183.jpg   cimg3123.jpg   cimg3130.jpg  

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #318
Pvt_Joker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
My back is toast from laying on the rocks underneath the Jeep 90 minutes repairing what I could on the trail, at least I had a lot of help from some really great guys on the run. I lost track but the carnage in the group wasn't confined to me... we had a couple broken axle shafts, broken Warn hub, broken axle tube, another broken control arm mount, and a few others. At least the Savvy skidplate came through with nary a wimper. But I think I'll go take a nap now.
this made my wallet hurt
Pvt_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #319
lukethedork
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Don't mean to offend you guys or anything. But after looking at both the pictures from Humboltd and Jerry, those scrapes or 'gouges' look fairly sever for being only the first or second trip out with them. I wouldn't like to see how much metal has been removed after a year or two of hard wheeling!
Although it is hard too tell depth from a picture. After seeing those gouges I will be going with a steel gas tank skid myself.

Luke.
lukethedork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2009, 11:44 PM   #320
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukethedork View Post
Don't mean to offend you guys or anything. But after looking at both the pictures from Humboltd and Jerry, those scrapes or 'gouges' look fairly sever for being only the first or second trip out with them. I wouldn't like to see how much metal has been removed after a year or two of hard wheeling!
Although it is hard too tell depth from a picture. After seeing those gouges I will be going with a steel gas tank skid myself.

Luke.
No offense taken at all. But, perhaps if you had a better understanding of the terrain these guys are playing in, you might develop a different opinion.

That stuff out there is just harsh, mean, and unforgiving. This is what a steady diet of it does to a Jeep.

Clamp from Currie steering-

Bolts and steering box skid-

Shock stud and nut-

Control arm bracket- notice the burrs peeled up that will slice you open like a razor.

Another-

Notice the depth of the gouges in steel-

Look at the scratches on the driveshaft-

And finally, the skid that's been under my rig in the same terrain for a longer period of time and it's the same material as the Savvy Gas Tank Skid.

Yep, it scratches, it gouges, but it's never once got me stuck, nor has it dented or failed.

All of which is fairly moot because if you tear it up, we'll take care of it at no cost to you.
Unread 05-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #321
Douglas S.

Damn, my jeep wouldn't last a minute out there.
Unread 05-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #322
Goobersbro

So when are you guys going to start making these for the Yj's

Sorry if you already covered this I have peeked in here from time to time waiting to see some pictures of it installed on Jerry's rig
Unread 05-24-2009, 11:58 PM   #323
Dukes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukethedork View Post

Luke.
Well, when you "wear it out" they'll send you a new one. Good luck finding another skid company that will do that.

On another note, we just got back from "testing" the skid. I ending up peeling back the rear diff cover taking some stupid lines to hit the skid. I, otherwise, was unable to hit it. So if you can't hit the thing, how can you cry about it not holding up? I'm sure the pics will hit the interwebz soon.
AIM: Dukes69

Ya Savvy?
Dukes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2009, 12:07 AM   #324
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
After yesterday's day on the rocks, the Savvy skidplate held up to some amazing (!!!) hits that were so hard that a few of them hurt. In fact, the skidplate held up far better than the TJ did. The skidplate earned some pretty serious scratches but nothing that could be considered a gouge or dent, I'm impressed... really! I didn't expect to be able to test it as thoroughly as it was but tested it was on Pumpkin Eater at Hi-Desert Roundup in the SOCAL desert.

So the skidplate held up to the rocks perfectly but the at the end of Pumpkin Eater, my LR wheel cracked so it won't hold air, the rear driveshaft yoke and u-joint broke, the upper-rear control arm bracket was torn off the axle, a control arm mounting bolt broke, the ignition coil gave up, and I'm beat. My back is toast from laying on the rocks underneath the Jeep 90 minutes repairing what I could on the trail, at least I had a lot of help from some really great guys on the run. I lost track but the carnage in the group wasn't confined to me... we had a couple broken axle shafts, broken Warn hub, broken axle tube, another broken control arm mount, and a few others. At least the Savvy skidplate came through with nary a wimper. But I think I'll go take a nap now.
Jerry,

Looks like a real fun day! Is that all you could do to that skid?

We didn't fare any better. We purposely went out today to destroy a skid and were completely disppointed! All we could get is minor sratches. Two Jeeps (Chris/Tammy and Nik Vallens) had new skids on and they were dropping of ledges and backing into rocks with reckless abandon. I thought for sure we would get a couple of dents but only a little metal gets sanded off. I finally got a picture of a small bend on the trailing edge after Chris backed into a pointy rock three times!

Thanks for posting up the pix. I'll get mine up in the morning. Like you it's been a long day.

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2009, 12:08 AM   #325
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
Damn, my jeep wouldn't last a minute out there.
That area is precisely why we do what we do. If a product will survive out there, I have no worries about it surviving anywhere else.

We try to explain to folks just how mean the rocks are, but until you see the pics and what we put our rigs through, it's difficult to understand.

Those pics of the white rig, I didn't take pictures of all the wear and tear, just the more spectacular stuff.
Unread 05-25-2009, 01:44 AM   #326
snellav
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It's also important to keep in mind that aluminum wont rust like steel. When you bash up steel and fail to repaint or refinish it, it will start to rust. Over time, that rust can diminish the strength of the skid.

I also know some people have had the problem of their steel gas tanks rusting from the inside out, as water can become trapped between the skid and gas tank.

The pics above show how dirty and rusty steel parts can become. In comparison, the aluminum belly skid is still "clean" and deposit free.
Unread 05-25-2009, 08:57 AM   #327
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Aw, that'll buff right out...
11.jpg  
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #328
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
Aw, that'll buff right out...
I little duct tape would hold that crack just fine...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2009, 09:29 AM   #329
06WranglerX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
No offense taken at all. But, perhaps if you had a better understanding of the terrain these guys are playing in, you might develop a different opinion.

That stuff out there is just harsh, mean, and unforgiving. This is what a steady diet of it does to a Jeep.

Clamp from Currie steering-

Bolts and steering box skid-

Shock stud and nut-

Control arm bracket- notice the burrs peeled up that will slice you open like a razor.

Another-

Notice the depth of the gouges in steel-

Look at the scratches on the driveshaft-

And finally, the skid that's been under my rig in the same terrain for a longer period of time and it's the same material as the Savvy Gas Tank Skid.

Yep, it scratches, it gouges, but it's never once got me stuck, nor has it dented or failed.

All of which is fairly moot because if you tear it up, we'll take care of it at no cost to you.
Wow i would really love to "try" and play out in those areas with you guys. I have looked over the pics from the Hammer trails and wow craziness. If the skids can survive out there with what those guys are doing, anyone else should have no real worries, it really is a night and day difference in wheeling. Only wish i could get my jeep out there and try some of the lower trails in JV!

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #330
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06WranglerX View Post
Wow i would really love to "try" and play out in those areas with you guys. I have looked over the pics from the Hammer trails and wow craziness. If the skids can survive out there with what those guys are doing, anyone else should have no real worries, it really is a night and day difference in wheeling. Only wish i could get my jeep out there and try some of the lower trails in JV!
That's all done on the "lower" trails out there.

But, if you ever want to come out, let us know. Thanksgiving is especially good.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.