New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum? - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #256
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
interesting......

can it be had without the dimple?
I can think of no foreseeable reason to ever produce one without the dimple. However, if I could, a few things would have to change.

There is a very simple formula to setting the height of the gas tanks and it's based purely on the amount of real estate you have to play with and the physical dimensions of the tank and pump assembly.

If you've ever removed the fuel pump assembly from the tank, you may have noticed that it's spring loaded top to bottom. A lot of folks incorrectly assume that's done to hold it in place in the dimple and therefore you can mash the dimple and the pump assembly will just compress to compensate.

It doesn't quite work that way. If you measure the height of the fully compressed pump assembly at the flange that seats in the lock ring neck, you will find that dimension is just about exactly the same as the height from the dimple to the top of the lock ring neck when you stick your tape measure down into the tank.

Essentially, the tank and compressed pump assembly are the same height and there's no room to move the top of the tank down, or the bottom of the tank up without putting a lot of pressure on the lock ring and creating the potential for a leak.

So, if you want to remove the dimple, then the bottom of the skid has to be lowered by 1/2".

You can cheat a bit more lift in one by removing the plastic wedges at the straps, but re-using the factory straps has another detriment we didn't want. If you examine them closely, you will notice at the back where the welded stud is, the strap has an offset in it. That offset hits on the inside of the rear body mount crossmember on the tub and prevents the tank from being pushed back as far as possible.

We opted to manufacture new straps to eliminate that offset and the plastic wedges. That way we can get the tank as high as physically possible and as far back as possible and that means the dimple has to stay.

Sorry Pat, but, you could always cut the dimple out and lower the skid if you wanted, I just don't know why you would.

Unread 05-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #257
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia View Post
You need the dimple unless you weld some sort of extra support system for the gas tank inside the skid plate.
You could cut some high density foam or rubber mat and place it in the bottom of a flat skid, but then you would have to lower the skid to keep the top of the tank and the various fittings from hitting on the bottom of the tub.
Unread 05-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #258
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for answering
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #259
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

We started a thread with some pictures of our Savvy skid install and compared them to our old Kilby. If interested, it's here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/savvy-aluminum-skid-before-after-kilby-778519/

In a nutshell, we saved 30-lbs. and increased vertical clearance by 1/2" (not counting dimple). The tank was also able to be moved back 1/2". So far, very impressed with the fit and ease of install. We also gained clearance for our tri-link exhaust that used to hit the Kilby skid on the passenger side.

Last edited by robncar; 05-18-2009 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: Punctuation...
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #260
Humboldt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just finished replacing my stock skid with one. Here's some thoughts:

- Beg, borrow or steal a tranny jack. I did this by myself with a broken hand. I couldn't imagine trying it solo with just a normal jack.

- I thought I did a great job running the tank dry. What I failed to realize is that after years of pounding, what my gauge shows as completely empty is actually about 7 gallons left An added bonus now is my "Empty" tank reads 1/4 now that it sits correctly again Gonna be nice to have a correctly functioning fuel gauge again.

- I gained clearance...everywhere..... as noted in previous posts. Enough for me to consider moving the rear axle back an inch.

- The attention to detail in this product is noting short of friggin amazing. Considering this thing is made to accommodate 10 years of TJ with or without a body lift I was shocked to find that when configured for my rig (03 Tj with a 1" body lift) the clearance at the top of the tank was 1/4" or less. It simply COULD NOT fit better.

- Brake cleaner blows off the mill ink like its dust.

- This is the first product that I have ever bought for the Jeep that was 100% complete. It come with everything you need to install it on a vehicle without a tank on it currently, down to retaining washers, bolts and nuts for replacing ALL of the cross member mounting bolts, zip ties to hold lines and wires and retaining clips for inner fender wells. Amazing.

- My last thought, while the tank is out, take the time to straighten the rear cross member that the skid bolts to. Mine was a bit thrashed, and by the time I got the new skid up and in place. I realized it was a bit out of shape and that I should have bent it back and threw in the new bolts and retainers. Would have saved myself 15 minutes of aggravation.

Ill post some pics up next weekend after I get home. A hats off to Blaine, Gerald and the guy at the "Shop"
Humboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:00 AM   #261
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
I just finished replacing my stock skid with one. Here's some thoughts:

- Beg, borrow or steal a tranny jack. I did this by myself with a broken hand. I couldn't imagine trying it solo with just a normal jack.

- I thought I did a great job running the tank dry. What I failed to realize is that after years of pounding, what my gauge shows as completely empty is actually about 7 gallons left An added bonus now is my "Empty" tank reads 1/4 now that it sits correctly again Gonna be nice to have a correctly functioning fuel gauge again.

- I gained clearance...everywhere..... as noted in previous posts. Enough for me to consider moving the rear axle back an inch.

- The attention to detail in this product is noting short of friggin amazing. Considering this thing is made to accommodate 10 years of TJ with or without a body lift I was shocked to find that when configured for my rig (03 Tj with a 1" body lift) the clearance at the top of the tank was 1/4" or less. It simply COULD NOT fit better.

- Brake cleaner blows off the mill ink like its dust.

- This is the first product that I have ever bought for the Jeep that was 100% complete. It come with everything you need to install it on a vehicle without a tank on it currently, down to retaining washers, bolts and nuts for replacing ALL of the cross member mounting bolts, zip ties to hold lines and wires and retaining clips for inner fender wells. Amazing.

- My last thought, while the tank is out, take the time to straighten the rear cross member that the skid bolts to. Mine was a bit thrashed, and by the time I got the new skid up and in place. I realized it was a bit out of shape and that I should have bent it back and threw in the new bolts and retainers. Would have saved myself 15 minutes of aggravation.

Ill post some pics up next weekend after I get home. A hats off to Blaine, Gerald and the guy at the "Shop"
Thanks Joe, I'm happy that you appreciate all the little things and how much work it takes to get them figured out and included.
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #262
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I really wish this had been available before I bought my Skid Row unit. I spent about 6 hours this weekend modifying my fuel tank skid and trailer hitch to get it as high and far back a possible and I'm sure it's still nowhere near where the Savvy units puts everything. I had to do this just to clear my track bar bracket with the stock wheel base. Sigh...

Well, it looks and sounds like a great peice and if I ever bash and dent my current unit I know what to replace it with!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #263
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.delancy View Post
I really wish this had been available before I bought my Skid Row unit. I spent about 6 hours this weekend modifying my fuel tank skid and trailer hitch to get it as high and far back a possible and I'm sure it's still nowhere near where the Savvy units puts everything. I had to do this just to clear my track bar bracket with the stock wheel base. Sigh...

Well, it looks and sounds like a great peice and if I ever bash and dent my current unit I know what to replace it with!
Did Skid Row ever update their design so that it replaces the factory skid or are they still like Jerry's and fit over the whole mess?
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #264
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Still fits over the whole mess...

Hind sight and all, oh well...

I'm sure I'll bash it to death eventually! (And then I can get one of yours!)

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:33 AM   #265
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Still fits over the whole mess...

Hind sight and all, oh well...

I'm sure I'll bash it to death eventually! (And then I can get one of yours!)
Skid Row makes a very durable product if the condition of Jerry's is any indication. I doubt you'll tear it up enough to ever replace it.
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #266
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Bummer!

Maybe in a year or so I won't mind scrapping a part that I paid a couple hundred bucks for...

Quote:
Unread 05-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #267
brunosplace
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Bummer!

Maybe in a year or so I won't mind scrapping a part that I paid a couple hundred bucks for...
List it on your local Craigslist!! You may lose a few bucks, but you'll gain the clearance.
Big tires, done right, are FREAKING EXPENSIVE. Deal with it, or don't go there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnjeep View Post
I live in the land where they salt cure roadkill.
97 Jeep TJ Sport, 4.0L, Auto, 3" BDS Lift (SOLD)
98 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L, Auto, Stock Totaled, parted out and scrapped
96 Jeep XJ Sport, parted out and scrapped

Tummy Tuck without a body lift. Finished!!

Superior Axle & Gear TJ/XJ Dana 44 Discovery Shafts (DC45 kit) for sale
brunosplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #268
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've modified the **** out of it, so I doubt I could sell it. Anyway, lets not hijack Blaine's thread...

Quote:
Unread 05-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #269
JC KJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

So where can i buy one? And the price is? Remamber I am new the the TJ seen.
JC KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #270
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Look in the vender section for Savvy Offroad...

Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.