New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum? - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #211
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia View Post
There are a few other companies that already make gas tank skids that do not require a body lift.
For an 06 that don't require a set of spacers to drop the skid? I looked pretty hard and didn't see any that replace the factory skid. Which one(s) did I miss?

Unread 05-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #212
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smamas View Post
All,

Went over to Blaine's yesterday and installed the gas tank skid. Needless to say, with Blaine's help, we had it done in under 90 minutes. This skid really fits good and gave me much more clearance everywhere, including my RE track bar. Gonna take it up to Big Bear this weekend, and see if I can bang and scrape it!

Thanks for your help Blaine! This skid rocks!
Lets see...

7 Hour Drive to Blaine's House
90 Minute Install with Blaine's help
7 Hour Drive Home
= 15.5 Hours...

vs.

Wade installing himself = about 3 weeks and lots of swearing

hmmmm....
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #213
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smamas View Post
All,

Went over to Blaine's yesterday and installed the gas tank skid. Needless to say, with Blaine's help, we had it done in under 90 minutes. This skid really fits good and gave me much more clearance everywhere, including my RE track bar. Gonna take it up to Big Bear this weekend, and see if I can bang and scrape it!

Thanks for your help Blaine! This skid rocks!
Thanks Sam, it was nice meeting you. Go tear it up and we'll get you another one.

BTW- How did you like the brakes?
Unread 05-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #214
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post
maybe procrastination works ok for you!

now i have to move all my evap crap and pound that out before i become more Savvy. all in good fun though.

will the corners use torx or allan head bolts??
That looks like mud, right? Mud is of the Devil!

Was there a slide involved in the production of that unintended body work, by chance?
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #215
smamas
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Thanks Sam, it was nice meeting you. Go tear it up and we'll get you another one.

BTW- How did you like the brakes?
It was a pleasure meeting you too Blaine. Your knowledge is amazing.

I got used to your brakes, just in the short time I drove your Jeep. Got back in mine and I could really tell the short comings.

I added Vanco Big Brakes to my list!

Thanks again for all your help!
Unread 05-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #216
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
For an 06 that don't require a set of spacers to drop the skid? I looked pretty hard and didn't see any that replace the factory skid. Which one(s) did I miss?
Have you looked at the Rokmen gas tank skid? It uses spacers and replaces the factory skid, but so does Savvy's unless I am looking at out dated pictures and an out dated description on the web site.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #217
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
That looks like mud, right? Mud is of the Devil!

Was there a slide involved in the production of that unintended body work, by chance?
the mud happened after the body work. as the Jeep was coming up out of a rut it lost traction and i had to pick a different line. when the driver (my girlfriend) took her foot off the gas it rolled back about a foot and bumped into the side of the rut.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #218
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Have you looked at the Rokmen gas tank skid? It uses spacers and replaces the factory skid, but so does Savvy's unless I am looking at out dated pictures and an out dated description on the web site.
We don't use spacers. The skid itself is adjustable and requires nothing else to be purchased to run at either height on the TJ/Unlimited depending on whether you do or do not have a body lift.
Unread 05-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #219
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
We don't use spacers. The skid itself is adjustable and requires nothing else to be purchased to run at either height on the TJ/Unlimited depending on whether you do or do not have a body lift.
"Dual height mount" are fancy words for a built in spacer. :P A different implementation of the same idea.

It is true though most other companies require the spacer to be purchased separately.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Unread 05-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #220
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
"Dual height mount" are fancy words for a built in spacer. :P A different implementation of the same idea.

It is true though most other companies require the spacer to be purchased separately.
Of all the points I ever thought someone would attempt to make about this product, it having built in spacers was never even close to being on my radar.

I will say I'm glad we didn't hire you to write our descriptions for us.
Unread 05-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #221
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

You don't see a difference?
gts_spacer_1.jpg   untitled-4-web.jpg  
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #222
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Of all the points I ever thought someone would attempt to make about this product, it having built in spacers was never even close to being on my radar.

I will say I'm glad we didn't hire you to write our descriptions for us.
I do technical write ups and product write ups at work as well. If you said to make it sound like there were no spacers I would write it to that affect.

The ahem, "dual height mount", is a much better design than just using the traditional sense of spacers. With out that there are no spacers that could slide out, crack, or put more twisting torque on the bolts.

Build Project Thread
Unread 05-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #223
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I do technical write ups and product write ups at work as well. If you said to make it sound like there were no spacers I would write it to that affect.
I wouldn't tell you to make it sound like there were no spacers. I would tell you to represent it accurately in your description so the average person will understand the product.
Unread 05-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #224
Tim
1997 TJ Wrangler 

got my mitts on one for a few minutes in moab this week. i have to say that i am very impressed! i wish i could have stuck around to help install it on his rig but i was leaving that night... i am sure he will test it as hard as anyone can!
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #225
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Psst Blaine, check your PM box when you have a moment please.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.