New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum? - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Reply
Unread 05-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #166
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!
 
robncar's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Verne, CA
Posts: 8,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by smamas View Post
You made me run out and check the tank. Just under 1/4. Now I keep thinking...don't do a Jerry!
Now, that's cold! But funny...

Sorry again, Jerry. I think we definately need a "beating dead horse" emoticon. It's all my fault and I give Jerry permission to rub my nose in it, next time I make a public "mistake" (very likely).

other_beatinga_deadhorse.gif

robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #167
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California, California
Posts: 60,220
That's alright Rob, my showing up at Blaine's house with a nearly full tank of gas to swap the gas tank skidplate was pretty stupid/funny. What's worse is I knew better but I zoned out while getting gas (the tank was EMPTY) on the way there.
__________________
Getting Savvy...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #168
Jeepguy1977
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That's alright Rob, my showing up at Blaine's house with a nearly full tank of gas to swap the gas tank skidplate was pretty stupid/funny. What's worse is I knew better but I zoned out while getting gas (the tank was EMPTY) on the way there.
Jerry, it's forever going to be etched in my mind not to "pull a Jerry" when I install mine.
__________________
1998 TJ, 4.0L Auto and various junk
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #169
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!
 
robncar's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Verne, CA
Posts: 8,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That's alright Rob, my showing up at Blaine's house with a nearly full tank of gas to swap the gas tank skidplate was pretty stupid/funny. What's worse is I knew better but I zoned out while getting gas (the tank was EMPTY) on the way there.
Yep, it's killing me right now to have to wait to burn off fuel to install that cool Al skid. We should probably just suck it up and "git er done"!
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #170
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
How's friday afternoon
Friday afternoon is fine. Snag one off the site and swing by. We can install it or I can send it home with you. Your choice.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #171
06WranglerX
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Frelinghuysen, NW New Jersey
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Friday afternoon is fine. Snag one off the site and swing by. We can install it or I can send it home with you. Your choice.
Blaine:

I am going to be purchasing one next week, one question think this will help with my 8.8 being so close to the stock skid under compression? I been reading about this skid and following all the questions pretty closly but havent seen any 8.8 owners ask a clearence question. I love how it mounts far back and tucks up nicely compared to other skids, and in all honesty didnt want to "self clear" a new skid with my diff cover, yet yours looks like the answer I been waiting for, oh btw I will be running a riddler diff cover in the rear if that makes any difference.

If i am the first to install with an 8.8 I will let ya know how the results are and send some pics in. Once again sweet product can't wait to see what else is in store!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
he made it clear when he said he was. He didnt ask for a photo ID of you did he.

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #172
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06WranglerX View Post
Blaine:

I am going to be purchasing one next week, one question think this will help with my 8.8 being so close to the stock skid under compression? I been reading about this skid and following all the questions pretty closly but havent seen any 8.8 owners ask a clearence question. I love how it mounts far back and tucks up nicely compared to other skids, and in all honesty didnt want to "self clear" a new skid with my diff cover, yet yours looks like the answer I been waiting for, oh btw I will be running a riddler diff cover in the rear if that makes any difference.

If i am the first to install with an 8.8 I will let ya know how the results are and send some pics in. Once again sweet product can't wait to see what else is in store!
We've got one on an Unlimited with a HP 9" rear axle. It's close, but no contact yet. We'll see how yours goes.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #173
SurfnSnow
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Jose
Posts: 701
This skid looks great, and it's really got me thinking about swapping out my Skid row skid for this one. What would be really interesting would be once all of savvy's products are out (and installed on a rig) the overall weight that would be lost on a rig (and possibly how much fuel one could save).
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #174
06WranglerX
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Frelinghuysen, NW New Jersey
Posts: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
We've got one on an Unlimited with a HP 9" rear axle. It's close, but no contact yet. We'll see how yours goes.
Good deal, I will let you know the results once I get it on.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
he made it clear when he said he was. He didnt ask for a photo ID of you did he.

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #175
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er
 
Divinitous's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NY/NJ/PA Tri-State Middletown NY 10941, New York
Posts: 3,186
The skid plate looks great MrBlaine, placed my order a few minutes ago.
Thanks!
__________________
-Ryan
Google Voice (or the number Grape calls when drunk): 845-476-8182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #176
Mini-Me26
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 868
Glad to say I ordered one today (not without the obligatory screwed up first order attempt, sorry to whoever has to take care of that on the site). Can't wait to get it on.
Mini-Me26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #177
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.
 
RnEmOvr's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft Stewart, Ga
Posts: 10,564
is it possible to take the "printing" off the skid?
__________________
My Jeep 2.5-4.0 Motor Swap, Very detailed Military Jeepers

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #178
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!
 
robncar's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Verne, CA
Posts: 8,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
is it possible to take the "printing" off the skid?
I was just wondering if you're serious?
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #179
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.
 
RnEmOvr's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft Stewart, Ga
Posts: 10,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
I was just wondering if you're serious?
yes i am, i am talking about where it shows "6061-T6" what is needed to get that off? i see it in some pics but not others, and no this will not keep me from buying one it just bugs me, when i get mine ill even take it off the inside

__________________
My Jeep 2.5-4.0 Motor Swap, Very detailed Military Jeepers

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #180
Jeepguy1977
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
is it possible to take the "printing" off the skid?
I think it's a sticker but should probably leave on for a bit in support of Blaine and Provelogear

edit...oops. didn't realize you were talking about the alloy stamp.

Should come off with some paint thinner or lacquer thinner IIRC.
__________________
1998 TJ, 4.0L Auto and various junk
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.