New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum? - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #136
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipside View Post
Yes, I too am disappointed that the Medic is no longer... Perhaps the Savvy group will come up with a replacement for the shovel on my 06 LJ? Even better would be a design that doesn't require a BL to work its magic!
Just a few words on the manufacturing end of things. It's not wise from a business standpoint to make 17 different versions of the same product.

It's not wise to make the same product and have two different versions with and without a body lift installed.

The pre03 is easy from that standpoint, so when we get that product in the development queue, the chances of it working without a body lift are relatively slim.

That's likely going to be due to our "highest level of performance possible" for the dollar spent philosophy. We fully intend to have our products abused mercilessly and for the customer to smile the whole time they're doing it.

Quote:
mrblaine: what say you on the issue of galvanic corrosion with your Aluminum bling?
I say it's a non issue and will be one until the day comes when your aluminum cased copper wound alternator eats up the steel bolts holding it to an iron block with electricity present.

Or, it will be a problem when your aluminum intake that's bolted to stainless steel and iron exhaust with steel bolts that's full of brass and zinc plated sensors, starts to have an issue. Until then, I'm going to pretend you never brought this up.

Unread 05-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #137
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdab View Post
I have two questions about this skid.
1.) It was stated that it mounted to the rear cross member to keep it farther away from the track bar. Is that still the case for an Unlimited or does it mount in the stock location which leaves open space between the gas tank and rear cross member?
Sorry, it should be worded that it's connected back to stock rear crossmember that it originally bolts to.

Quote:
2.) Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there any risk of electrolysis using disimilar metals for the mounting than the skid itself?
Already answered, but if you manage to encounter enough electrolysis to damage the skid, we'll take care of it.
Unread 05-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #138
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Sorry, it should be worded that it's connected back to stock rear crossmember that it originally bolts to.
That part of my writeup was corrected earlier today, the original wording was bad and misleading.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #139
red rubi
So long pal!

2006 LJ Wrangler 

So, does everybody in Cali have carpeted garages and driveways?

untitled-6-web.jpg
red rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #140
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You know what carpeting is good for in the garage? To soak up spilled lubricants and form ugly stains, and nearly catch on fire/smolder/smoke in multiple locations from flying welding sparks. Ask me how I know this

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #141
red rubi
So long pal!

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
You know what carpeting is good for in the garage? To soak up spilled lubricants and form ugly stains, and nearly catch on fire/smolder/smoke in multiple locations from flying welding sparks. Ask me how I know this
Looks good on paper, but looses it in execution.
red rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #142
brunosplace
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Tested this theory a few times, have you???
Big tires, done right, are FREAKING EXPENSIVE. Deal with it, or don't go there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnjeep View Post
I live in the land where they salt cure roadkill.
97 Jeep TJ Sport, 4.0L, Auto, 3" BDS Lift (SOLD)
98 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L, Auto, Stock Totaled, parted out and scrapped
96 Jeep XJ Sport, parted out and scrapped

Tummy Tuck without a body lift. Finished!!

Superior Axle & Gear TJ/XJ Dana 44 Discovery Shafts (DC45 kit) for sale
brunosplace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #143
Flipside
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's not wise to make the same product and have two different versions with and without a body lift installed.

The pre03 is easy from that standpoint, so when we get that product in the development queue, the chances of it working without a body lift are relatively slim.

That's likely going to be due to our "highest level of performance possible" for the dollar spent philosophy. We fully intend to have our products abused mercilessly and for the customer to smile the whole time they're doing it.
I couldn't agree more, especially since you're in a niche market segment. You've probably already thought about this, but if everyone else's tummy tucker / tranny skid / engine + oilpan skid requires a lift and yours doesn't, you've opened up your market considerably.

Further, in terms of preserving a low CG, why go through the conversion of gaining [for sake of arguement, we'll call it] 2" of break over clearance by replacing the factory skid, if you need to lift the body and or add a MML to accomodate the new skid?

All things considered, I'd pay a premium to keep the CG low AND gain the clearance. After all, what do all the lifts cost to do things 'the other way?'
Unread 05-11-2009, 09:30 PM   #144
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipside View Post
I couldn't agree more, especially since you're in a niche market segment. You've probably already thought about this, but if everyone else's tummy tucker / tranny skid / engine + oilpan skid requires a lift and yours doesn't, you've opened up your market considerably.

Further, in terms of preserving a low CG, why go through the conversion of gaining [for sake of arguement, we'll call it] 2" of break over clearance by replacing the factory skid, if you need to lift the body and or add a MML to accomodate the new skid?
At the undesireable risk of turning this into a low COG discussion, I've built enough rigs that go very difficult places to pretty much dismiss most LOW COG discussions as pretty much hogwash.

But, if I were to consider the COG parameters everyone is so hyped up about, I would first point out that a 1" lift of the motor and body to gain 3" of belly clearance is a sound trade. That's the equivalent of putting on 6" larger diameter tires where you need it most.

LOW COG's require you to bumpstop and limit uptravel and there is simply no free ride. If you run a 12" shock with 3" of uptravel, all you wind up doing is lifting the whole jeep up which then requires you to have more down travel to reach the ground as a rig set up 6 and 6 whose body won't go up as high on the same rock.

Quote:
All things considered, I'd pay a premium to keep the CG low AND gain the clearance. After all, what do all the lifts cost to do things 'the other way?'
If you're willing to pay a premium, I'd start by channelling the body and cutting out the trans tunnel. The bottom line is there is X amount of distance between the top of the trans and the bottom of the tub. If you want more belly clearance, you have to raise the trans. If you raise the trans, you can only go so far before you have to raise the tub and that's even with severe dimpling.
Unread 05-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #145
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromme View Post
It's just about one inch, maybe slightly less. The bar crosses right over the middle of the clips that hold the hard plastic lines on the driver's side on my 04. And there is absolutely no more room between those plastic lines and the A/R bar. The are rubbing as is, I had to sleeve those lines.
Relevant or not so relevant, but once upon a time I removed the lines out of those clips and the clips and mounted the lines right behind the crossmember to the bottom of the tub where there was more room for them. That was to shove an A/R bar through over the top of a raised tank. Might see if that makes sense for what you're trying to accomplish.
Unread 05-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #146
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post

any questions?... lets start a new thread or e-mail me
Nope, no questions.
Unread 05-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #147
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nope, no questions.

lol, mrblaine that wasn't directed at you... sorry if it seemed so just used your statement..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #148
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I am looking into gas tank skids since I will be dropping my gas tank within the next month to work on a few things. I would prefer to only have to do it once!

All of the skid plates I have looked at are unfinished, but since this is aluminum that should be fine. Can it be powder coated safely with adverse effects to the metal? Otherwise I would leave it bare.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #149
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia View Post
I am looking into gas tank skids since I will be dropping my gas tank within the next month to work on a few things. I would prefer to only have to do it once!

All of the skid plates I have looked at are unfinished, but since this is aluminum that should be fine. Can it be powder coated safely with adverse effects to the metal? Otherwise I would leave it bare.
Yes, it can be powdercoated with no issues. Or, you can paint it as long as there is a chem film done as a base similar to Alodine.

We will shortly have an option for those in high corrosion environments to order the skid base with the chem film already done to it in preparation for paint or powder. We found a local processor that can do a chem film in clear that doesn't change the color of the aluminum.
Unread 05-12-2009, 01:05 AM   #150
lukethedork
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, it can be powdercoated with no issues. Or, you can paint it as long as there is a chem film done as a base similar to Alodine.

We will shortly have an option for those in high corrosion environments to order the skid base with the chem film already done to it in preparation for paint or powder. We found a local processor that can do a chem film in clear that doesn't change the color of the aluminum.
I might sound stupid, but I don't know what a 'chem film' is...
If I buy a can of spray paint from the local store. Can I use this to paint the skid or will it be bad for it?

Luke.
lukethedork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.