New Front Bumper Suggestions- Towing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Front Bumper Suggestions- Towing

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-31-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
luk4mud
2002 TJ Wrangler 

New Front Bumper Suggestions- Towing

Ok, the front bumper got kinda messed up on the Dusy this summer, so upgrade opportunity is upon me. Lots of nice bumpers out there, but I have one overriding concern- I tow my TJ behind my camper so I need to be able to mount a simple A-frame towbar to the new bumper.

Does anyone make a bumper that allows the towbar to mount directly to perhaps the clevis mounts it without welding or bolting on those A- frame mounts.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I did something like this a while back for my corolla. I poked a hole into the ducting and ran a hose to stick into my shorts. It didnt work thew best cause I never plugged up the vents, but it did help.
luk4mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
default_user
It's a Roobicon

I have the Body Armor bumper that might work

And they sell tow bar brackets here http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...eepbumpers.htm
default_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Any front bumper with clevis mounting tabs and no protruding parts between them can be made to easily work. I have an ARB bumper and connect to the clevis mounts. An inexpensive Reese type colapsable tow bar is all that you need besides the connecting hardware. Click on the pic to see how I made mine work. Basically, the outer diameter of the tow bar end brackets slide into the clevis mount. A pipe that is sized to fit between the brackets is held in place and then a rod is inserted through one end and out the other. A simple spring clip holds the rod in place.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #4
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

this is what I did. You can do this to almost any bumper with clevis mounts...
I used a $50 Pitbull towbar and bent up some 1/4" plate. Use a good safety chain and you are good to go.(I did not use that whimpy chain that came with the tow bar)

bairy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.