New to forum. Tow Bar Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New to forum. Tow Bar Help

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 07-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
MisterMcD
1998 TJ Wrangler 

New to forum. Tow Bar Help

I am brand new to this forum and actually a brand new jeep owner. I bought a totally original 1998 Wrangler Sahara from the original owner. I already did some maintenance things to it. New brake job, new passenger side rear axel (owner disclosed that it was leaking oil so when the shop checked it out, they said it had worn a groove in it so I had it replaced) I also got new link pins and a serpentine belt) The shop where I took it said that was all i needed besides a coolant flush.
Anyways, I want to put on new tires without a lift and get a tow bar to put on the front of it so I can tow it behind my motorhome.

1. In Metric measurments, what is the largest tire I can put on it without a lift or adding washers?

2. What kind of tow bar should I get? The Blue Ox type are really expensive and the UHaul one I looked at today doesn't appear to be able to bolt on to the frame easily. I don't really have anyone who can fabricate a piece to weld on so I want to do something that is kind of meant for my vehicle. Anyone have an suggestions? What about a place to buy used base plates and arms?

Thank you very much for your help!

MisterMcD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here is some info for a bolt on tow bar:
Currie Enterprises CJ Axle Parts

Currie Enterprises CJ Axle Parts

Welcome!
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Take a look here. Another like post.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/tow-bar-1077158/
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Blue Ox & Roadmaster tow bars maybe expensive but after you buy one that's extendable you will never go back to a solid tow bar, the solid ones are just difficult to hook up.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
The Blue Ox & Roadmaster tow bars maybe expensive but after you buy one that's extendable you will never go back to a solid tow bar, the solid ones are just difficult to hook up.
True the extending arms and self locking features are nice to have. However I have found that on a Wrangler the solid arms are not that difficult to deal with. The Wrangler itself is light enough that you can move it my hand on level ground.
It is also a lot like backing up to hook up to a trailer, only you are going forward. Once you get the hang of it, It is no big deal.
If the budget is limited the basic tow bar will get the job done with money to spare.
Unread 07-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
True the extending arms and self locking features are nice to have. However I have found that on a Wrangler the solid arms are not that difficult to deal with. The Wrangler itself is light enough that you can move it my hand on level ground.
It is also a lot like backing up to hook up to a trailer, only you are going forward. Once you get the hang of it, It is no big deal.
If the budget is limited the basic tow bar will get the job done with money to spare.
I started out with a solid tow bar and after 4 years I upgraded to a user friendly one, I can hook up in under a minute, I could never do that with the previous tow bar.
I know exactly what it took to hook up and level ground is premium.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Level ground is premium with the hooking up any tow bar.
One of the nicest features I had found with the Roadmaster Blackhawk that I used to tow my F-250 was the ability to leave the tow bar connected and folded up on the back of the motor home. Where as you do need to remove the less expensive tow bar and store it somewhere until it is needed again. And the self centering and auto lock does make for a quick simple experiance. I don't disagree with how nice the high dollar units are to use.
However the original poster expressed that he was looking for a less expensive towing solution than the Roadmaster or Blue OX systems.

So if it is a matter of budget vs. convience....you can still buy the complete Currie tow bar and mounting bracket for less than just the vehicle mounting brackets needed for the Roadmaster or Blue OX units. And then it is another $500 for the tow bar itself.

Let's just hope the OP doesn't what to get into a discussion of Toad/Dinghy brakes. I like the Ready Brake set up for price and it's simple mechanics...however I have a Brake Buddy because the price was better than right.

Tags
tow , tow bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.