New Buyer: Eager To Learn: Advice and Suggestions Appreciated! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Buyer: Eager To Learn: Advice and Suggestions Appreciated!

USA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and AxleFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availab

Unread 03-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
NewJeepAddict

New Buyer: Eager To Learn: Advice and Suggestions Appreciated!

I am headin to Alaska to work for some good money and come back to Washington and buy a Jeep, something I've always wanted to do. I have pretty much settled on a Wrangler Unlimited and I have a few decisions to make. I live deep in the country and will be offroading probably 50% of the time. I want the big tires, rollbars, bumpers etc. I also want a rugged, powerful stereo system to go along with my outdoor adventures.

1st of all. What year is a good year, specific model? I will probably be buying used and I'm looking for a good deal but I will have money.

2nd. Should I look for something already lifted? Already with large tires(31-33)? Or is it better to do it myself. I am pretty mechanically inclined.

3rd. Anyone know a good, compatible stereo system? Subwoofer etc. Is there much room for that in a Jeep?

I've never owned one before but I'm eager to learn and have been eating this up. I want to learn! Any and all advice related to my specific questions, buying a jeep, etc.

As many and detailed of answers as you can give are much appreciated!

NewJeepAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

1. If you want the an an Unlimited (LJ) you are limited to 2004-2006 as those were the only years they were made.

2. It depends on how much money you have and if you want to do it yourself. You will save money by finding an already lifted Jeep, but you never know what the previous owner did and it can even be hard to figure out what brand of parts are on the Jeep. If you mechanically inclined and have some money I would start stock and do it yourself.

3. The electrical/audio section of the forum can be of better help here, but your going to have to do it custom. Your going to have to find a place for an amp, and might want to look at marine audio stuff.

Great thing about the LJ is they come standard with the D44 and your axles can handle 35s right out of the gate. However you will want to look at some steering and brake upgrades.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
NewJeepAddict

Thanks! Hmmm... so what if I'm looking at more 90's models. What would you reccomend?
NewJeepAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
GPO_Reckless
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I Mob in a 97 TJ, i love my rig. havent done a whole lot to it thoug. i have a 2" Rough Country lift thats on it. looking to change it to a OME lift. as for the sub. its a tricky thing unless you just remove your rear seat, which if you use it to off road makes it eays. if you use yours as a daily driver like i do as of now. Get a 10" ported box, and you can make the box yourself if need be so it fits behind the rear seat. thats what i did to mine. when i go camping and wheeling i take my seat out so i have it mounted down so it doesnt move. I took out the Stock radio and added a Pioneer deck with a USB port in the front and rear so its easier to use multipul set ups.

B-rossman
GPO_Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
ff33
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The Tj unlimiteds aka the lj's were only produced 2004-2006 so those are your options for years. Out of those years the rubicon was only produced in 2005-2006. I believe that the 04's only came with an automatic transmission if that matters to you as well. If you don't care about the rubicon options or the automatic transmission I would go for the 04 since they don't seem to have the fearful oil pump drive assembly failures that several 05-06 owners have had, other than that possible problem and the already listed differences I believe everything else is the same.

I personally like buying vehicles stock, that way you know what's done to it and you know it's done right as you build it. Sorry can't help you on the stereo, that's about the last thing I would ever put money into.
Unread 03-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeepAddict View Post
Thanks! Hmmm... so what if I'm looking at more 90's models. What would you reccomend?
The TJ ranges from 1997-2006 and all have a wheelbase of 93.4 inches. Between 2004 and 2006 they made the Unlimited Version (LJ) which had an increased wheelbase of 103.4 inches.

Do some reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...ations-452871/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...embers-722109/
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice , new buyer , speaker , stereo , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.