New Build and needing Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Build and needing Advice

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 02-11-2005, 10:25 PM   #1
Extreme_Jeep

New Build and needing Advice

I am working out the parts list for my local shop to put together a nice rig. After a ton of reading I came up with a parts list I think I am happy with. I live in South Carolina and will be hitting the trails up in NC and there is a bit of mudding that take place near where I live so that will also be an option in time. I am trying to be resonable in the cost and still want to get a really solid initial set-up. I can pick up the unlimited rubicon for about 24k (EP and current deals) and looks like about 10k in upgrades.

In reading some posts looks like K&N is not worth the money? Is there an alternative?

The Unlimited Rubicon doesnt have half doors as an option. What is my best bet for half doors vs. Safari Doors.

Anyone running a supercharger and has it been a good purchase or waste of money?

This is my initial list and again I am a newbie to Jeep Setups. I am very open to suggestions for things to change or things I am missing in my initial build.

Appreciate any help I receive.

Jeep Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Lime Green
Safari Doors Olympic Safari Doors (Powdercoat Lime Green)
Safari Door Accessory Olympic Safari Door Nets
Safari Door Accessory Olympic Safari Door Armpads
Suspension Lift Kit BDS 3" Suspension Lift Kit
(Powdercoat Arms and SPrings Lime Green)
Body Lift Kit BDS 2" Body Lift
Motor Lift Kit JKS (Currie) 1" Motor Mount Lift - Jeep 4.0L
Wheels CRAGAR 352 15X10 5X4.5 (All 5)
Wheel Center Caps CRAGAR CLOSED CENTER CAP
Tires 33X12.50R15LT GOODYEAR MT/R OWL
Lights KC HiLites 6" Round 150 watt Daylighter Kit
Differential Cover - Front Crane High Clearance Diff Cover - Dana 44
(Powdercoat Lime Green)
Differential Cover - Rear Crane High Clearance Diff Cover - Dana 44
(Powdercoat Lime Green)
Headers Banks Headers
Exhaust Banks Exhaust
Air Intake K&N FIPK Fuel Injection Performance Kit
Supercharger Kenne Belle Supercharger
Front Bumper Big Daddy Front Bumper
Rear Bumper Big Daddy Rear Bumper with Hitch and Tire Rack
Radiator Skid Plate Skid Row Raidator Skid Plate
Winch WARN 9k Magnum
Rock Sliders Shrockworks Rock Sliders
Mirror Relocation Bracket Warrior MIRROR RELOCATE BRACKET W/LIGHT
(Powdercoat Lime Green)
Door Entry Guards Bestop Entry Guards for Jeep Unlimited
Safari Bikini Top Bestop Safari Bikini Top for Jeep
Tow Hooks Warn Tow Hooks (Powdercoat Lime Green)

Looked nice and formatted when I typed it up. err

Extreme_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2005, 10:39 PM   #2
DLoweinc

nice list, looks expensive.

the K&N debate has been rampant through this forum for a while, there is an independent test that shows the performance of all the air filters. the one place where a k&n filter is better is if you are going to be going through water/mud that may get into the intake box. a paper (stock) filter could possibly collapse if it gets wet enough or covered in mud.

i have no clue about the Air Intake K&N FIPK Fuel Injection Performance Kit, probably won't gain you any performance, will just alter the sound of the engine/muffler.

i have seen 1 jeep with a super charger in it and in my opinion it would be cheaper and better offroad to just gear your axles lower (numerically higher) instead of buying a $5k supercharger plus all of the other parts that must be upgraded at the same time.

unless you want to tear it up on the road i don't see a need for a supercharger, jeeps are not made for speed.

i don't know what the warn tow hooks look like or how much it costs, but most people have very good peformance from a $10 black aftermarket 10,000lb tow hook from an auto store, 2 in the front and 2 in the rear should do you.

some things that you didn't touch that you may want to upgrade if you do go with a supercharger are the steering components. currie makes a great kit for that.

i may follow this up with more, but work is calling... gotta cut it short
Unread 02-11-2005, 10:47 PM   #3
camoTJ

crane covers are already green. (prolly dont need crane covers anyway)

and I would forget about powder coating the arms they will get mess up pretty quick

3" of lift is fine for 33's no need for 2" of body lift
camoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2005, 11:01 PM   #4
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would go with a 1" bl and MTRs may not be the best choice for mud, they will do okay in mud and great on most other terrian.

If you have the $$ do a super charger, hp and mud go well together.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2005, 11:03 PM   #5
dirtgrip
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Will it be a stick or auto? Drop the 2in body lift.Kenne Bell supercharger runs $4000-might spend this elsewhere.Maybe consider Currie HD steering,lockout hubs,wider flares for 10in wheels,belly-up tcase skid.
Unread 02-11-2005, 11:21 PM   #6
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Btw those Goodyear MT/R's dont stand for mud terrain, they stand for Maximum Traction / Reinforced. They're mainly rock crawlers, but should do well in mud. BFGs will do well too. There's also a debate on whether to run 15x8 wheels or 15x10 wheels on a 12.50" wide tire. 15x8 gives a little extra bulge and that's what I would use, but plenty of others use the 15x10's and get by fine. Remember steel wheels bend more easily than alloys, which is why I'd recommend an inexpensive set of Alloy wheels instead (my opinion, another debated topic). I personally wouldnt get the supercharger, gear ratios are the way to gain a little extra performance. You should be fine as far as gearing goes if you get an automatic, but you'll probably need an expensive ($1200 for parts and labor, trust me you want gears professionally installed) gear swap if you choose a manual.

I'm starting to get the idea that you like lime green huh? Another idea would be to get new seats or seat covers. See if you can get those in lime green too. I think that'd look pretty sweet. I dunno how green wheels would look, but if you buy some unpainted wheels (try US Wheel or Stockton) you could paint them yourself for not much money. Some people disagree on whether a 2" body lift is a good idea. I tend to side with the people that say "go no bigger than an inch or so on the body lift" (Btw, never do a 3" BL) A 1 or 1.25" body lift should work well enough though.

I'd recommend a Currie heavy duty steering system. I dont think I see it on the list, but you probably need a Slip Yoke Eliminator and CV Driveshaft combo. Check the Tom Wood site, they arent too bad. Keeps you from using a transfer case lowering kit and losing some ground clearance. Last off, I'd Herculine or Rhino Line that floor. I dunno about the cheaper roll-on's like Herculiner, but Rhino Liner will custom dye any color for you. Tough as nails, too. Could have yourself a perfectly matched lime green floor too. If that particular suspension lift doesnt already come with them, go ahead and get some front and rear adjustable upper control arms to help with the pinion angles. Hope some of these ideas help. Above all, I'd get the SYE/CV Driveshaft combo first, that's pretty much a neccesity.
MattTheMudder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2005, 11:45 PM   #7
Spartan302

Go for a 1" BL instead of 2". Ditch the exhaust, supercharger and k&n and do a hemi conversion. I'm just saying that because I want one. I'm good at spending other peoples money.

But really the exhaust and supercharger money could be spent better elsewhere (like a better lift).

Keith
Spartan302 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2005, 12:31 AM   #8
camoTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSahara99
Btw those Goodyear MT/R's dont stand for mud terrain, they stand for Maximum Traction / Reinforced. They're mainly rock crawlers, but should do well in mud.
MTR's suck in the mud...I forgot to say this eairlier get some BFG's or somethign I would NOT want MTR's if I was gonna run mud.

also you should install the crap yourself, learn something have some fun and save some money
camoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2005, 12:52 AM   #9
DLoweinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSahara99
...but you probably need a Slip Yoke Eliminator and CV Driveshaft combo. Check the Tom Wood site, they arent too bad....
I thought the rubicons already came with a rear CV driveshaft??
Unread 02-12-2005, 03:10 PM   #10
Extreme_Jeep

This is great and is exactly what I need. The Jeep color is kinda important to me and my plan is to have mainly Lime Green and Black. This is a third car and meant to be a family fun car that will be garage kept. The Jeep is a automatic Rubicon and has 4.11 gears with Dana 44 front and rear with air lockers. Mudding will come down the road a little bit after I get it broken in a bit and some scratches from the trail.

Although I can turn a wrench, I am trying to support my local 4x4 shop wich is the only one for a 100+ mile radius and the trail runs/camping trip are out of their shop. I am pretty sure I can get a decent price for labor and parts especially for bolt ons.

The plan is to email a pretty solid list up to my brother who works for the Jeep Engineering back in Detroit. He said he will run the list by his co-workers who also have some nice rigs.

Changes:
I am still undecided about the K&N Air FIlter / Intake

Dropping the S/C

Adding the Currie HD Steering

The Crane covers look unpainted, but if there green that is great. What about Poison Spider?

CHanging the 2" Body lift to a 1" ( BDS smallest is 2") so I need some suggestions

I went with Black wheels for the color scheme mainly. Should I powdercoat or paint some alloys black?

Tires - Still totally open to suggestion

Still gonna powdercoat the arms since we are planning on doing a few pieces at once.

My shop does a Palmetto Coat (think its the same as Rhyno) and gonna check on a price

Got to wait for the engine to quit on me but I did look into the 5.7 Hemi, trans, and wiring harness on ebay and is about the same as the S/C

Anybody come across some half doors in a junk yard. That is what I really want for my Jeep. I have been trying to research whether they would fit on the Unlimited Rubicon since they are not offered from factory.
Extreme_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2005, 03:29 PM   #11
Negative6

i am a noob so my ideas may not mean anything... but here is my fav bumpers (the ones i want)

Smittybilt Rock Crawler Series

They look really good (in my opinion)

And i know alot of ppl put the optima blue top deep cycle battery in there jeeps
Negative6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2005, 03:54 PM   #12
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative6
i am a noob so my ideas may not mean anything... but here is my fav bumpers (the ones i want)

Smittybilt Rock Crawler Series

They look really good (in my opinion)

And i know alot of ppl put the optima blue top deep cycle battery in there jeeps
ideas is what this place is about, no matter ho wlong you have been here.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2005, 03:59 PM   #13
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Jeep
Got to wait for the engine to quit on me
That 4.0L will never quit on you. I've known people that have tried to break em and cant

I would personally stick with the 4.0L, there are a whole bunch of other things to upgrade when you swap an engine. Parts would probably be more expensive and harder to get, especially on the trail. I'm not sure about the 5.7L's reliability but few engines out there can touch the bulletproof 4.0L I6 Hafta be careful about engine swaps, some can overheat on the trail. The power would be cool, but the 4.0L is no slouch and I would spend the large HEMI bill on other parts. I'd also recommend a M.O.R.E body lift. The half doors would probably fit on the Unlimited, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I've been trying to find some half doors at a junkyard too. $1200 for new doors is too rich for me
MattTheMudder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2005, 04:07 PM   #14
nwjeepguy

Ditch the 2" body lift and and look at Daystar's one inch kit. Look around on here for bumper ideas. I personally like the ARB Bullbar but then that's just me. The Rubicon already has the SYE so don't worry about it. Tires, well if its not going to be a daily driver, you can run as aggressive as you want unless you want to try to avoid the noise. So BFGoodrich MT's would work, a louder option would be Swamper SSR's. Though I've talked to some guys locally that really like the Wrangler MT/R so I doubt you'll go wrong with whichever one of those you choose. One thing I would add is an Nth Degree Tummy Tuck Skid Plate. Also, ditch the K&N simply so you don't have an open access to the air filter. The open element will be way too exposed to the muck. Just find yourself a Baldwin or AC Delco replacement. The Supercharger is going to be your call, pricey yes, but I can see where someone with an Unlimited might want one considering the weight of the vehicle. just keep the boost at sane levels. And whatever Optima battery you want to use would work fine, though a yellow or blue top deep with the winch would probably be a good choice. Both are dual purpose batteries so they can be used as start batteries to.
Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio
nwjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2005, 04:08 PM   #15
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
ideas is what this place is about, no matter ho wlong you have been here.
A new bumper you may not have come accross is the RoadArmor one, it's a high price tag but worth a look at IMO. It's features include an integrated winch mount, integrated steering box skid, light mounts that don't block the radiator, and a bow-like front end that should in theory push things under the Jeep rather than come smacking into them. The flat face of the bumper is actually higher than the chassis rails.

Pictures are here, although I'm missing two of the lights and a roller fairlead, they're on their way to me in the Middle East.

Click here for more pictures

As for the Hemi, i've heard it's not an easy bolt in and you should probably talk to American Expedition Vehicles as so far I think they're the only ones that have one working near perfect. Research the posts by a character called "Bumpy" on JeepsUnlimited or Rubicon Owners Forum, he has the first customer 5.7L Hemi from AEV, and also is quite knowledgeable on the subject.

There was another guy with a white TJ who did his own drivetrain swap from a Dodge, think it went ok but I don't know what issues he came accross.

Personally, I would want AEV to do the work, the problem is the price.

Your list seems pretty good though, although I would prefer to have factory half doors over the Safari doors. The advantage to the Safari ones is you can see through them, but add some upper halves to the factory doors and a soft top and you can seal yourself from the elements when your full doors and hard top are back at the house.

And if your brother works at Jeep Engineering, tell him if he had anything to do with the Jeep Hurricane, then I really admire his work and wish they would build that thing. The drivetrain / steering on that is phenomenal.
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.