New AA SYE--Now output shaft seal leaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New AA SYE--Now output shaft seal leaking

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 06-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
moparjunkee
1997 TJ Wrangler 

New AA SYE--Now output shaft seal leaking

So I finally got around to installing my AA SYE kit and had a front XJ DS shortened and balance. Got it all together and wow what a difference. I can't believe how much smoother than trying to get by without it. I also did a shifter relocation bracket while I was in there. So I drove it about 20 miles and then crawled under it to adjust my TC linkage and noticed a small amount of ATF on the output seal. I can't really tell if it is coming from the rubber part that the yoke rides on or if it is coming from the pressed fit in between the seal and the SYE housing.

I think I have read this exact same problem thread but I did a search and nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions what might be the problem? I got to thinking that maybe it was just what was left over from me maybe being sloppy when I pre oiled the seal in installation.

Anything would be great.

Thanks

Unread 06-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
crusty1007

take the rear driveline off the output yoke and feel around the nut. See if you are getting any kind of ATF seeping from there.

If so, then the easiest way to fix that is to remove the yoke nut. Pull the yoke off.
remove the black rubber star washer.
Using some cleaner, clean the output shaft splines and the splines in the yoke.
Take the yoke and put the u-joint side down on the table so the splined end is facing up.
Use some rtv silicone and run a large bead around the inside of the splines.
now slide the yoke back on the output shaft just far enough to get the nut started.
If you need a new nut I can get you 1. Otherwise use some loc-tite on the original nut.
Use the nut to pull the yoke up tight wich will smash the silicone throughout the splines and behind the nut.
Torque the nut to 150 Ft/lbs
use a paint pen to draw a line through the yoke nut & output shaft so you can glance @ it and make sure it hasnt moved.

If its leaking around the seal PM your PH# and I can get you setup with the pieces you need.
crusty1007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
ROUGHSHOD
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same thing happen after installing the AA SYE. For a couple consecutive mornings, there'd be a drop of fluid at the output. It was such a small amount, I decided to just keep my eye on it. Resolved in 3 days or so and has been fine since.
ROUGHSHOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
kizer

Look at this and see if this is the same area you are having a leak at. However I still haven't taken any new photos, but instead of placing RTV on the splines place them inside the yoke. The reason is you do not want to push RTV back into your Transfercase, which applying on the splines might. Placing the RTV inside the yoke will cause the RTV to want to stay near the nut.

http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/leak231/

I'll correct the info on that page while Im thinking about it.
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
crusty1007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizer View Post
but instead of placing RTV on the splines place them inside the yoke. The reason is you do not want to push RTV back into your Transfercase, which applying on the splines might. Placing the RTV inside the yoke will cause the RTV to want to stay near the nut.
Yes put the silicone in the Splines IN THE YOKE towards the t-case side . this causes the silicone to be pushed towards the nut side of the yoke/shaft. Then by using the nut to pull the yoke up it compresses the silicone. throw the star washer away if it is damaged.
crusty1007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Resurrecting this thread...

Anybody got a part number for that output seal?
thejafe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, looks like I found it on Stu's site: Chicago Rawhide 18662
thejafe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.