needing inexpensive hard top remover plans - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > needing inexpensive hard top remover plans

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 03-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Corys2000tj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

needing inexpensive hard top remover plans

Its about time to pull the hard top off. I am looking for any pics/ideas/links of hard top remover/pulley/storage so i can pull the top on and off on own..

Corys2000tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
Alex74012
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i always get someone to help me
and i cant stress enough on the 2 people part,if you drop it say byby to your glass
Unread 03-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corys2000tj View Post
Its about time to pull the hard top off. I am looking for any pics/ideas/links of hard top remover/pulley/storage so i can pull the top on and off on own..
a beer and a buddy.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have done my unlimited alone a few times... but my paint paid the price one of those times... If your serious I would just get a cheap handcrank, like a hardware store version of a hand cranked windlass... attach it to the wall in your garage, put a pulley or a stout eye bolt into a beam directly above it, and then three more in, two above the rear quarter panels and one above your windshield. Run 3 lines from the windlass through the first eye, then one to each of the three other eyes, and down to the Jeep... find or make a few wide, flat hooks, tie them on the ropes, and then crank that puppy up! should be easy enough if you have the room in the garage.

Personnaly I just switch to the soft top once the weather gets warm enough for top down driving so I only need to make 2 switches a year, most its ever cost me was a couple beers.
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here, this is what I was talking about for mounting on the wall... when I was a kid my dad and grandpa rigged up a 8' x 8' platform in the garage with train tracks on it, real simple design that just does the job. If you plan on leaving the top up there for extended periods of time you might want to put 4 more eybolts up, two on either side, and use a couple of straps as a safety in case the winch lets go.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_23063_23063
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

If you have a garage you just need 4 eye hooks to anchor on the ceiling and 4 tie downs 1 for each corner of hardtop.I've had this setup for 7 years and it's cheap and works great.You can remove it by yourself easily this way and then just drive out.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
MFortie

1998 TJ Wrangler 

There's a post over on JU of a 2x4 construction 'lift' on casters that looks pretty cool. I'm going to build one myself to pull my top by my lonesome...
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
firemedickip
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Like goldenjeeptj, I have the 4 eyebolt and camstrap setup. works beautifully.
I got my idea from this website: Jeep Hard Top Storage
firemedickip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #9
chubbena
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
If you have a garage you just need 4 eye hooks to anchor on the ceiling and 4 tie downs 1 for each corner of hardtop.I've had this setup for 7 years and it's cheap and works great.You can remove it by yourself easily this way and then just drive out.
How do you lower it back on the Jeep?
chubbena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
Corys2000tj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i am actully wanting to build a pulley type/hoist so I can pull it on and off by myself
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
If you have a garage, X2, but only 3 tie-downs are really needed. Just loop the front one from side to side to carry the minimal weight of the front of the roof.

Parts required: 4 eye bolts, 3 ratchet straps, ceiling.

Here's some pics of what I did. Not the greatest, but it gives a good idea. 4 eye bolts in the ceiling, about 1-2" wider than the roof. The rear corners are looped underneath so that the weight of the roof and the bottom edges of the roof are actually sitting on the strap and not the hook. The hook is put through the bolt-down holes from the top and spun so that they won't go anywhere (it'll be self explanatory if/when you do it). The front just loops one strap from side to side using eye bolts in the ceiling.

In the pics, you see a bunch of strap at the middle rear. That's just extra strap. My rear window stayed closed with ravity, but as extra precaution, I ended up tying those straps around the rear window to ensure that it didn't open.

As a result, this turned the on or off process into a one man, 5 minute "chore" with a well lined up parking job. That includes unscrewing or screwing and tightening the roof bolts to the tub.

PM me if you have any questions.

VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
kaybone
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Here's the one I made a while back that has gotten me through six seasons now. It has always worked great!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my...e-info-143727/
Gun Metal Blue Jeep Club Member #99

Last edited by kaybone; 03-17-2010 at 01:55 PM..
kaybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
srfnfly227
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I made a lift system for mine last spring. I love it. It does take some extra work since the top goes above the garage door, but I only use it twice a year anyway. Here are some pics of how I did it. After the PVC 90, the ropes all come down to a hand winch. It works great.

srfnfly227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #14
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I bought the manual Lange hardtop lift from Quadratec. It took a few attempts to get it to hang level. I'm very pleased with it and it takes just a few minutes to remove and then lower it back on.

I did add a few extra straps to it since I leave the hardtop off a lot over the summer and my wife parks under it. Just for added security.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corys2000tj View Post
i am actully wanting to build a pulley type/hoist so I can pull it on and off by myself
i made mine. cost under $200, including the HF hoist, and beer i bought my friend to teach me to weld. the specs and pics are linked in my build thread...
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.