Need Urgent Help - Pulley came off while driving - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Urgent Help - Pulley came off while driving

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 01-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #46
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bologna View Post
Ok I will try that first, thanks
Before you get too carried away with anything, buy a battery terminal brush and clean the crap out of the terminals and posts. If they aren't shiny, keep at it until they are. I've seen many rigs with battery issues that had heavily corroded terminals in the contact area that prevented good charging, jumpstarting, and good starting in general.

Do that first.

Unread 01-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #47
Bologna
1998 TJ Wrangler 

They are clean. I jump started it today and nothing. I also attached the dmm while trying to start it and there was no voltage drop. I'm going to remove the starter tonight in this blizzard and get a new one from autozone tomorrow.
Manual Transmission
Bologna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:14 PM   #48
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

The tensioner pulley has two points of tightness you need to address. One is the long screw that moves it up and down in the slot and you should not turn that until you loosen the bolt in the front of the pulley. Once you make the adjustment, then you tighten that bolt back up to keep the pulley from wobbling and also to lock it in place in the slot.

If you are unsure it is a good part, add one of those to the list of things you need.

Also, be cautious of your belt tension. With that style of adjuster, you can easily get the belt too tight which will take out the new pump, idler, water pump, or anything with a bearing in it that it turned by the crank pulley.
I've found a good way to test tightness without a gauge. Find the part of the belt with the longest distance in between pulleys. Then you twist the belt if it twists a quarter of the way around it is good to go if it doesn't twist a quarter of the way around loosen it. My bet is that the belt was to tight in result it strained the p/s pully to the point of failure. Not saying its what happened just its a very likely hypothesis anyways hope you get it fixed
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #49
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:

That radiator is practically new....
Hopefully its covered under warranty try it and find out q little lie won't hurt nobody
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #50
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:

I have the belt on and from the stretch from the power steering pump to the alt, I can turn the belt a little over 90 degrees, sound about right for tightness?

I'm going to flush the power steering fluid now and then attempt at starting it
That's how mine is on my zj its been fine for a couple thousand miles. Don't See a need to buy a gauge when I'd hardly ever use it
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:24 PM   #51
Bologna
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with the belt tightness, it may have caused it. I had it on fairly tight beforehand.
Manual Transmission
Bologna is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.