Need Urgent Help - Pulley came off while driving - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Urgent Help - Pulley came off while driving

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-19-2014, 11:22 PM   #16
Bologna
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I looked at the surrounding hoses and I can't find a leak. And my reservoir is between the "add" and "full" line so I shouldn't have a hole in it. I guess I'll figure that out once it starts back up. I managed to get the power steering pump off, but I'm having trouble getting the pulley off the shaft - any suggestions? And how much power steering fluid should I get? The closest parts store is 30 minutes away so I'd like to only make one trip.

Also I loosened the belt tensioner pulley and it doesn't appear to be bent, but maybe it was just too tight? Any clues on how tight I should have it?

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate it

Manual Transmission
Bologna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #17
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bologna View Post
I looked at the surrounding hoses and I can't find a leak. And my reservoir is between the "add" and "full" line so I shouldn't have a hole in it. I guess I'll figure that out once it starts back up. I managed to get the power steering pump off, but I'm having trouble getting the pulley off the shaft - any suggestions? And how much power steering fluid should I get? The closest parts store is 30 minutes away so I'd like to only make one trip.
The steering will take a couple of quarts. The pulley is removed and reinstalled using a power steering pulley install and removal set. I don't believe you need it though because the new pumps generally can be bought with pulleys.

Quote:
Also I loosened the belt tensioner pulley and it doesn't appear to be bent, but maybe it was just too tight? Any clues on how tight I should have it?

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate it
If you have no way to gauge the belt tightness, put a new belt on and adjust it to the loose side a bit. You want to squeal for a second when you start the engine. Adjust it tighter in small increments until the squeal goes away.

It's too bad this is your daily driver. I could send you a pump, pulley, reservoir and hoses for the cost of shipping. I counted yesterday and I have 16 of them.
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #18
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

As far as the coolant, is it possible he simply overheated due to fan and water pump not turning, and spewed a little coolant out of the overflow bottle?
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #19
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxbicon View Post
As far as the coolant, is it possible he simply overheated due to fan and water pump not turning, and spewed a little coolant out of the overflow bottle?
That's entirely possible. If you look at the pics though, there is a green spot on the fins in one of the pics at about 11 o'clock and there is coolant on top of the radiator passenger side. It may have just sprayed out of the overflow, but it if did, it wound up in odd places for not having the fan spinning.
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #20
Bologna
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alright thanks for the help and coolant went everywhere - the hood was covered in it. Which bolt should I move for the tensioner though? The one on the pulley or the above it that moves it up and down?
Manual Transmission
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #21
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Alright thanks for the help and coolant went everywhere - the hood was covered in it. Which bolt should I move for the tensioner though? The one on the pulley or the above it that moves it up and down?
Only one is tightened to lock the pulley in place in the slot and that is the one on the front side of the pulley. You loosen it so the adjusting screw can move it up and down in the slot to change and tension the belt. You want the pulley bolt loose enough to let the pulley slide, but not so loose that it is letting the pulley tip over. When you get the belt adjusted, lock the bolt in the front of the pulley down to keep the tension correct. The adjuster should not be turned with the pulley bolt tight.
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #22
Bologna
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alright, sounds easy. Thanks for all your help. I'll keep you guys posted
Manual Transmission
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:58 AM   #23
auburnhunter
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I know there is an alternate routing for the serpentine belt, but I cannot remember if it deletes the A/C compressor or the P/S pump. You could put a new belt and idler pulley on it to just get it back on the road, and figure the rest out later. There might be a sticker on the fan shroud or the top of the grille showing the alternate routing.
Unread 01-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #24
Bologna
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The new pump I bought didn't come with the pulley or shaft so I guess I don't have to take mine apart after all.
Manual Transmission
Unread 01-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #25
Dave02TJ
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The new pump I bought didn't come with the pulley or shaft so I guess I don't have to take mine apart after all.
What? The new pump you have should have the shaft. It's just much shorter than I think you are imagining.
Dave02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #26
Bologna
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave02TJ View Post
What? The new pump you have should have the shaft. It's just much shorter than I think you are imagining.
Yes, that is my bad, it did have a shaft - just much shorter

I have my old pulley installed on the new power steering pump atm, now time to mount it to the jeep. Btw Autozone stole my power steering cap for the reservoir. They took my old one and the new one didn't come with one...
Manual Transmission
Unread 01-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #27
Bologna
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
If you have no way to gauge the belt tightness, put a new belt on and adjust it to the loose side a bit. You want to squeal for a second when you start the engine. Adjust it tighter in small increments until the squeal goes away.
I have the belt on and from the stretch from the power steering pump to the alt, I can turn the belt a little over 90 degrees, sound about right for tightness?

I'm going to flush the power steering fluid now and then attempt at starting it
Manual Transmission
Unread 01-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #28
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

That sounds loose. When I put in my York I lost my auto tensioner. Setting tension manually it seems much easier to leave it too loose than to end up too tight. Picking up a cheap tension gauge can be helpful.
Unread 01-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #29
Bologna
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just started it up and it started fine, no belt squeal, or noises, and most importantly no coolant leaking... I let it run for about 5 minutes and revved it up a couple times and turned the wheel a few times and all sounded good. Although since autozone stole my radiator cap, I have no clue as to how full my reservoir is to my power steering fluid - but I just filled it a little over 3/4.

I did not tighten my belt anymore than what I previously stated. Do you think I should?

Thanks to everyone that helped out, and a big shout out to Mr. Blaine - I appreciate everything
Manual Transmission
Unread 01-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #30
number40Fan
2014 JK Wrangler 

Go back and get your cap from the store.
number40Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.