Need towing power after bigger tires and lift kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need towing power after bigger tires and lift kit

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
michaelmeyers31
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Need towing power after bigger tires and lift kit

I just installed a lift kit and bigger tires on my 04 Jeep wrangler sport. I lost way too much pulling power. I need to pull a 5x8 trailer hauling a 4 wheeler at minimum. I was told to change out both front and rear gears but I would be spending more on gas and will lose top end. I can sacrafice this but I would rather not. I do not want a crap load of torque or pulling power just enough to get me up a hill without gearing down my 5 spd. Any ideers would greatly be appreciated. Yes I said ideers. Thanks for yer help.

michaelmeyers31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Gears, gears, gears.

Did I mention gears?
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
xxxflhrci

You need to regear. You gas mileage won't suffer any more than it already is and you won't loose any top end unless you gear waayy to low.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmeyers31
I just installed a lift kit and bigger tires on my 04 Jeep wrangler sport. I lost way too much pulling power. I need to pull a 5x8 trailer hauling a 4 wheeler at minimum. I was told to change out both front and rear gears but I would be spending more on gas and will lose top end. I can sacrafice this but I would rather not. I do not want a crap load of torque or pulling power just enough to get me up a hill without gearing down my 5 spd. Any ideers would greatly be appreciated. Yes I said ideers. Thanks for yer help.
Nothing in this world is free. If you want towing power, you have two choices, smaller tires or lower gears.

You're not the first to make this mistake, there's lots of folks out their trying to set up expedition style rigs who want to tow adventure style trailer only to discover that 35" tires suck for the task at hand.

Gear down or get smaller tires or, don't tow.
Unread 01-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
billbanshee

listing your tire size and gears would help
warn 9000i
billbanshee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
michaelmeyers31
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have 33s with factory gears dana 44 rear and dana 30 front I believe is what I was told. So I guess your saying to regear? So how much do I gear down? Also this may sound stupid but how much of a difference would a programmer make if any? I know this has been asked before but how much am I going to pay and do you have any suggestions as to who can do the work if a chain? I know 4wheelparts has the gear package at $450-$856. Thanks guys for your help.
Unread 01-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Fill in your profile so we know more about your Jeep. Manual or Auto, what year?

Your stock gears are 3.73 if you have a D44. If you have a manual you will want to get 4.56 gears (or maybe even 4.88 if you do lots of towing). 4.56 gears would net you over 20% more pulling power at all RPMs, basicly the equivilant of 40-50 lbs more torque at the engine depending on RPM, for all RPMs.

Those programmers are not going to do squat for what you want. You might get a couple more HP at very high RPM, which won't be usefull. Regear for usable power.

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #8
robncar
Lets hear it for Gravity!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have 33s with factory gears dana 44 rear and dana 30 front I believe is what I was told. So I guess your saying to regear? So how much do I gear down? Also this may sound stupid but how much of a difference would a programmer make if any? I know this has been asked before but how much am I going to pay and do you have any suggestions as to who can do the work if a chain? I know 4wheelparts has the gear package at $450-$856. Thanks guys for your help.
If you fill out your profile, it'll make it easier for folks to answer your inquiries without further questions.

Now, I'll assume you have the 6 cylinder because you have the D44. For the 6 cylinder, 5-speed manual, and 33's, I'd recommend 4.56 gears.

The install price varies nationally but $1,200 total for both ends is a good ballpark.

Your mileage should not be too bad after re-gear. If you think about it, you're now out of your engine sweet spot and are likely pressing down on the throttle more to make up for the high gearing. When you re-gear, your RPM's will move back into the engine powerband and you won't be pressing down as far on the gas pedal. I'm not saying your mileage will improve but it shouldn't get too much worse either.

Oh yeah, when you get your power back, a smile will come to your face too.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
michaelmeyers31
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds great guys. Sorry about the profile, its been a while since I have been on here. I will do that and get a pic on here as well. So i guess I am going to regear. I especially like getting that smile on my face part. It may hurt a little when pulling out the wallet but actually $1200 isn't as bad as I thought. I purchased the jeep just for some mud slinging on the weekends with no intent on pulling a trailer but I no longer have my truck so now I have to use the jeep. So it wasnt a mistake fixin up the jeep just bad luck my truck no longer runs. Thanks again guys for your help. Anyone looking to make some xtra cash installing some gears?
Unread 01-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #10
robncar
Lets hear it for Gravity!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Anyone looking to make some xtra cash installing some gears?
Gears are a job best left to a professional that does them every day, for a living. Find a shop that you feel comfortable with and check into thier reputation before they touch your rig. Some folks will suggest you get both the parts and the install at the same shop, just so there is no finger pointing afterward. I was likely lucky, I shopped for my best price online and then shopped around for installation. Just my 0.02...
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #11
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

use the search function...you'll find out you need new gears.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2008, 10:15 PM   #12
Lawrence
2004 TJ Wrangler 

As others have mentioned, regear and be amazed at how much fun the Jeep is to drive again.

I would add to mrlaine's comment that towing an adventure style trailer with 35" sucks, that towing that kind of weight with no transmission temperature gauge is beyond moronic. Yet, some folks see no problem with it. So, with the towing you are planning on doing, be kind to your transmission and add a transmission temperature gauge.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 07:54 AM   #13
BigGillyStyle

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I spent around $1000 on an AEM cold air intake (with throttle body spacer), RE 62mm throttle body, and a Banks catback exhaust. While I enjoy the very slight performance (and mileage) gains and the change in exhaust sound, even I am going to tell you to regear. You'll spend $200-$300 more than the components I listed, but it'll make way more of a difference. I've got a 4L/5Spd and am going to 33s in March and have already planned on going from 3.73 to 4.56.
Rocky Mountain Edition Club, Member #3
BigGillyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 08:05 AM   #14
Ozzy817284
2001 TJ Wrangler 

MORE POWER!! put in a supercharger or turbo (insert Tim Allen grunt here)
Ozzy817284 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #15
Whipper Snapper
2004 LJ Wrangler 

How about HYPERTECH performance tuning?

RE 5.5 lift, ARB 4.88 lockers, 35's, skids/armor/recovery & the usual female in tow.

C'ya on the trail.....
Whipper Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.