Need some parts suggestions for '06 TJ salvage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need some parts suggestions for '06 TJ salvage

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 06-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
arwood229
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Need some parts suggestions for '06 TJ salvage

For starters, here's a pic of her since it's too large to upload (and I can't resize embedded images apparently?).

High hit to the front driver's side fender. We've got a new hood, fender, and some other parts. Everything is stock in it, and it's not getting lifted or anything (maybe later) because it serves as a DD. Here's the things I'm looking into:
  • Running boards/nerf bars/steps (No frame drilling, please!)
  • Rear window for stock soft top (or if it's cost effective, a new top?)
  • Some inexpensive but nice wheels for our summer tires (the current ones will be painted and put to work for winter wheels)
  • Some plastic or rubber floormats to combat mud, plus winter salt and sand
  • Any other suggestions of things that will be good to take care of while it's half apart already, since we don't really know the maintenance history of it

Obviously let me know if there are any questions! She's got about 70,000 miles.

arwood229 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

check the control arms and mounts on frame and axle to see if they are bent..
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
arwood229
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Drivers side one is snapped, actually, thankfully a guy not far from here just did an overhaul and was selling off a bunch of parts. Landed a bunch of odds and ends like that and the radiator overflow. I'm wondering more along the lines of how Subaru's need the timing belt replaced by 125,000 or it busts (been there, not fun). This TJ came from a salvage yard which looked it over and replaced the transfer case (it cracked). Don't worry, everyone, frame is straight as an arrow and no airbags deployed.
Unread 06-13-2014, 07:13 PM   #4
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Husky floor liners are nice. Fit well and dont slide around.
probably want factory steps if u dont wanna drill.
cheap no name soft tops start around 199 on ebay.
Check control arm mounts on frame and axle. They bend in accidents often.
check the transfer case, I have seen a couple crack in accidents.
change all the fluids.
tune it up.

congrats!
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
arwood229
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Darn, I was hoping there were some alternative steps, but that's okay. I'll definitely look into the Husky liners, thanks!
Unread 06-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

There are tons of alternative steps, most will require drilling though. Some mount to the body, some the frame.
perhaps you would like a rock slider with a step on it? Just a Thought.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
arwood229
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Drilling body panels is fine, but my dad (who holds an equal share in this) is very set against drilling holes in the frame because it weakens it. We have a pair of Rugged Ridge nerf bars, but since they bolt directly to the frame he's not interested in using them (stay tuned, they might end up in the classifieds here).
Unread 06-16-2014, 04:46 AM   #8
Jeepsr4me

Every TJ I owned had the side step holes and nutserts already installed. So finding a cheap set of side steps will be easy.
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
parts , salvage , suggestions , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.