Need some help (shuddering) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need some help (shuddering)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 04-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
BlackJeepin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Need some help (shuddering)

While at a stop light, or a drivethrough or wherever, my jeep likes to surge and shudder. The rpms go from 500 to 250 then to 700, its a weird problem. When i go to take off after said problem it boggs down and acts like it wants to die, then it stutters more, then it goes. I get a CEL after putting gas in it.
Does anyone know what might be going on here, i have a 99 wrangler with an automatic transmission

Black Jeep Club member #126

Quote:
Now you have the best of both worlds. A relationship that won't be universally mocked and scorned and hot cousin sex. And that's important.
Taken from another website, hell of a convo
BlackJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
badoosh27
2001 TJ Wrangler 

run some seafoam through it and it should clean all that crap out and smooth it out. search seafoam on here, theres tons of threads of how to use it. sorry, im too lazy to explain it right now...

[url]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634280[/url]
badoosh27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

o...oo...oohh k..k..k..kkay....II II III'llll t.t...t....ttt...ttry to hhhehhehhelllppp.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
badoosh27
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i see what you did there...

[url]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2634280[/url]
badoosh27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
jeeptinker78
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Check your trouble codes. Mine was doing the same thing. Ended up being bad O2 sensors.
jeeptinker78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
o...oo...oohh k..k..k..kkay....II II III'llll t.t...t....ttt...ttry to hhhehhehhelllppp.
Th th th th aaaaaaaats fuu fnn fnn ffffuny.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
BlackJeepin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses...o2 sensor is highly likely, mine have never been replaced, 83,000 miles.
I am also gonna run the seafoam through it to
Black Jeep Club member #126

Quote:
Now you have the best of both worlds. A relationship that won't be universally mocked and scorned and hot cousin sex. And that's important.
Taken from another website, hell of a convo
BlackJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Silver04TJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mine was doing about the same thing. CEL throwing P121,122,123 codes. When I would pull out and give it gas it would bog down then all of a sudden take off. Changed the TPS and it runs fine now.
33x12.5x15 Cepek Fun Country II!!
M8000 Warn Winch with in cab controls
And the accessory every Jeep should have...DIRT/MUD!
Silver04TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A bad 02 sensor isn't likely to cause anything worse than the engine to run too rich which makes it run more sluggishly with poorer fuel economy. RPMs that are eratic or surging are more commonly caused by a dirty IAC (idle air controller) which can be cleaned, or a dirty TPS (throttle position sensor) which cannot be cleaned, only replaced.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
MrRandyRhoads
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to bump this older thread, but I have a possible solution to the CEL after filling up. When I first got my Jeep, I would get a CEL after every fill up so I called the dealership thinking something was wrong. One of the techs asked me how many times the gas cap clicked when I screwed it back on. They told me that if you screw it on too tightly or leave it too loose, the pressure (or lack thereof) will cause the CEL.

To remedy this problem, screw the cap on until it clicks 3 times...no more, no less. I thought it was utter crap until I tried it, and sure enough, I haven't had a CEL since.
MrRandyRhoads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can't get the gas cap on too tight, it ratchets once it gets to the correct tightness. The OBD system check depends on that gas gap being absolutely air tight so getting on "too tight" (impossible to do) won't cause a CEL. 3 clicks, 10 clicks... all the same. Mine probably clicks 8-10 times when I spin it down quickly after filling up.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badoosh27 View Post
run some seafoam through it and it should clean all that crap out and smooth it out. search seafoam on here, theres tons of threads of how to use it. sorry, im too lazy to explain it right now...
I don't think Sea Foam will help. Not saying it won't, but I think it's a bad sensor. I would pull all of the sensors in the intake area out and wipe them down with some isopropyl alcohol. If that doesn't fix it, I would replace the IAC and MAF sensors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
You can't get the gas cap on too tight, it ratchets once it gets to the correct tightness. The OBD system check depends on that gas gap being absolutely air tight so getting on "too tight" (impossible to do) won't cause a CEL. 3 clicks, 10 clicks... all the same. Mine probably clicks 8-10 times when I spin it down quickly after filling up.
Agreed. Urban legends.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.