Need some experienced ears: Clutch Area Noise (VIDEO) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need some experienced ears: Clutch Area Noise (VIDEO)

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
ericshere03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Need some experienced ears: Clutch Area Noise (VIDEO)

Ok, So I bee tracking this noise a while, It not the belt drive (sound exists with no belt), Not the OPDA (changed out already).. But the noise seems to be coming from the bellhousing area. It makes the sound idling speed only, in gear clutch in, in gear idling, idling clutch out in neutral. Sound only happens when its cold, when the jeep warms up the sound is gone. The sound goes away with anything above idle. the sound is worse with the tranny in gear and light pressure on the clutch pedal, pedal all the way down and there is a slight throwout bearing sound, different (as there is with the clutch out).

WHAT IS IT???

Opinions?

Here is a clip this time is makes noise a few seconds after pressing the clutch, Like i said, same noise happens with clutch out at idle, and in gear at idle... does the TO bearing have any preassure on it when the clutch pedal is out, i know you USED TO adjust you clutch slave cylinder rod for this on older cars...

Unread 01-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

glazed flywheel? idk.
1997 TJ - 4.25 lift, 4.88, D30 w/ Detroit, D44 w/ Superior'ed Detroit and 33 spline shafts, Currie track bar, Warn XD9000i, Currie Tire Carrier, full armor and tube fenders, full custom trunk, Tom Woods shafts, AA SYE, Currie control arms, and Rigid lights. BIG BLACK is my baby.
LiveAndLearn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
ericshere03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveAndLearn View Post
glazed flywheel? idk.
Never thought of that, I doubt it, my clutch and transmission feel great, despite all the NSG370 bashing I hear, It not as smooth as the AX15, but the syncros are faster acting, thats for sure...
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
thekid320

The new jks have problems with the throw out bearing so far mine has been good but it sounds like what everyone else who has had problems with the them has explained but I'm just going off of what I have heard

JK - only 33s for now until she is paid off
thekid320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Is the noise with the clutch pushed in? Or does it do it sitting in neutral with the clutch out?
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
ericshere03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Both, clutch in, clutch out, in gear clutch in, in gear clutch out... It worse in neutral with slight pressure on clutch pedal...
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
ericshere03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshere03 View Post
Both, clutch in, clutch out, in gear clutch in, in gear clutch out... It worse in neutral with slight pressure on clutch pedal...
I will add, the the pitch ever so slightly changes in each case as does the volume... But its the same sound from the same place...
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm at a loss.

Usual culprits are throwout bearing, pilot bearing, input shaft bearing.

But, I can't think of any of them that would be rotating under all the above conditions.
Unread 01-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
thekid320

^x2 normally the throw outs will squeal while under load correct?

JK - only 33s for now until she is paid off
thekid320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
ericshere03
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp View Post
I'm at a loss.

Usual culprits are throwout bearing, pilot bearing, input shaft bearing.

But, I can't think of any of them that would be rotating under all the above conditions.

BINGO!!! My thoughts exactly, only thing I can think of is that the throw out bearing is still riding on the pressure plate springs when off the clutch... And with full pressure the bearing spins but slips and causes the screetching ... And when pulled back its essentially seized but there is little pressure on it ... I'll report after clutch job, could take me a while ...
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
jagriffinsf
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the same sound

I have the same sound that comes under various conditions with the clutch. What did you find out?

Thanks,
jagriffinsf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely throw out bearing

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...121_093047.mp4

This was mine I found the throw out bearing was garbage. Lots if play in the cage and also the shift fork was binding on the input shaft collar. That kept the bearing against the release forks.

Sorry I'm on my phone if someone can fix that link please feel free.

Tags
clutch , jeep , nsg370 , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.