JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Need some experienced ears: Clutch Area Noise (VIDEO) (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/need-some-experienced-ears-clutch-area-noise-video-1464417/)

ericshere03 01-15-2013 10:41 PM

Need some experienced ears: Clutch Area Noise (VIDEO)

Ok, So I bee tracking this noise a while, It not the belt drive (sound exists with no belt), Not the OPDA (changed out already).. But the noise seems to be coming from the bellhousing area. It makes the sound idling speed only, in gear clutch in, in gear idling, idling clutch out in neutral. Sound only happens when its cold, when the jeep warms up the sound is gone. The sound goes away with anything above idle. the sound is worse with the tranny in gear and light pressure on the clutch pedal, pedal all the way down and there is a slight throwout bearing sound, different (as there is with the clutch out).

WHAT IS IT???

Opinions?

Here is a clip this time is makes noise a few seconds after pressing the clutch, Like i said, same noise happens with clutch out at idle, and in gear at idle... does the TO bearing have any preassure on it when the clutch pedal is out, i know you USED TO adjust you clutch slave cylinder rod for this on older cars...

LiveAndLearn 01-15-2013 10:42 PM

glazed flywheel? idk.

ericshere03 01-15-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveAndLearn (Post 14797785)
glazed flywheel? idk.

Never thought of that, I doubt it, my clutch and transmission feel great, despite all the NSG370 bashing I hear, It not as smooth as the AX15, but the syncros are faster acting, thats for sure...

thekid320 01-15-2013 11:42 PM

The new jks have problems with the throw out bearing so far mine has been good but it sounds like what everyone else who has had problems with the them has explained but I'm just going off of what I have heard

jkp 01-16-2013 02:27 PM

Is the noise with the clutch pushed in? Or does it do it sitting in neutral with the clutch out?

ericshere03 01-16-2013 02:29 PM

Both, clutch in, clutch out, in gear clutch in, in gear clutch out... It worse in neutral with slight pressure on clutch pedal...

ericshere03 01-16-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericshere03 (Post 14800812)
Both, clutch in, clutch out, in gear clutch in, in gear clutch out... It worse in neutral with slight pressure on clutch pedal...

I will add, the the pitch ever so slightly changes in each case as does the volume... But its the same sound from the same place...

jkp 01-16-2013 02:45 PM

I'm at a loss.

Usual culprits are throwout bearing, pilot bearing, input shaft bearing.

But, I can't think of any of them that would be rotating under all the above conditions.

thekid320 01-16-2013 02:47 PM

^x2 normally the throw outs will squeal while under load correct?

ericshere03 01-16-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkp (Post 14800888)
I'm at a loss.

Usual culprits are throwout bearing, pilot bearing, input shaft bearing.

But, I can't think of any of them that would be rotating under all the above conditions.

BINGO!!! My thoughts exactly, only thing I can think of is that the throw out bearing is still riding on the pressure plate springs when off the clutch... And with full pressure the bearing spins but slips and causes the screetching ... And when pulled back its essentially seized but there is little pressure on it ... I'll report after clutch job, could take me a while ...

jagriffinsf 06-02-2013 10:19 AM

I've got the same sound

I have the same sound that comes under various conditions with the clutch. What did you find out?

Thanks,

tjsean0308 06-02-2013 10:37 AM

Definitely throw out bearing

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...121_093047.mp4

This was mine I found the throw out bearing was garbage. Lots if play in the cage and also the shift fork was binding on the input shaft collar. That kept the bearing against the release forks.

Sorry I'm on my phone if someone can fix that link please feel free.

The time now is 08:10 AM.