Need some advice from jeepin vets - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need some advice from jeepin vets

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiIRON CROSS Jeep JK Front and Rear STUBBY BUMPERS IN STOCK

Unread 07-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
Fortmeier
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Need some advice from jeepin vets

A little brief history of what I currently run. 3.5" RE springs front and rear, 1" body lift, 1" mm lift, 35 general red letters, Highline fenders front, and upper and lower rough country short arms. Will be installing a UCF skid soon. This is a current daily driver and handles very well the the currie tie rod and drag link. a Few pictures below for the visual folk.

I've decided to lower it as the highline fenders have given me the opportunity to fit 37's with 2" coils and still have room to spare. The plan is to be low and capable for MOAB. Here's where I need advice. The CA's need replacing. Since I'm already spending the money for new ones I want to triangulate the rear and get rid of the track bar. I will be stretching down the road but not any time soon. Long arms are out of the question with 2" coils and the short arm geometry is not to my liking but works. Should I invest in manufacturing my own mid arms at this height? Or would you, yes you, stick with short arms? I'm an ME and have the capability to hash out a decent setup but need some advice as to whether it would be worth my time for the potential gain.

iwdbzom.jpg   kxuoe2o.jpg   2qfckys.jpg  
Fortmeier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

my set up is sort of similar to yours, but on an ljr.
3.5 re coils, 35" general grabber reds, all currie arms and trackbar, zj tire rod and drag link.

i sold my bfg km2 37s, to get my 35" grabbers.
i get mid arms work sweet, i understand wanting to ditch the rear track bar too.

i just wonder at 2" springs, will u gain enough, to make the funds laid out to do it, a good investment.
you will get better geometry, and flatter arm angles, assuming its done well.
i just dont see it as a game changer, in ride, flex, or geometry, when u run 2" springs.
at 4" or more, then yes mid arms would be the way to go.
imho, with 2" springs, the short arms will be more than good enough.

the 2" bds springs,
with your current fox shocks (with altered mounts to support their length),
quality short arms (savvy, currie, rockmen, clayton, metalcloak),
metalcloak track bars,
would work really well (imho).

u got a sweet looking jeep, congrats!
good luck, what ever u choose to do.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2015, 12:29 PM   #3
Fortmeier
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post

i just wonder at 2" springs, will u gain enough, to make the funds laid out to do it, a good investment.
you will get better geometry, and flatter arm angles, assuming its done well.
i just dont see it as a game changer, in ride, flex, or geometry, when u run 2" springs.
This was my initial thought but the fact that it will be my DD for a while makes me want the better ride quality on road. Thanks for the input though. Maybe I can just swap out the low hanging frame and axle mount brackets for low profile ones. That might make me a little more content with short arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
u got a sweet looking jeep, congrats!
Thank you sir
Unread 07-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice looking Jeep, well set up. My only comment has to do with your thoughts of going to 37" tires. Assuming your Rubicon is still running the standard Dana 44 axles, they're not really up to 37" tires. Your front Dana 44, with the exception of the center pumpkin, gears, and inner axle shaft, is all Dana 30 and not really up to anything larger than 35". My own Dana 44 axles are well built up with alloy inner/outer shafts, Warn hubs, CTM u-joints, stronger ball joints, bigger brakes, etc. but I'm still limiting them to 35" tires. It's reliable at 35", it wouldn't be if I went to 37's. Plus you'd need to beef up the brakes and depending on your existing axle ratio, regear to a lower axle ratio to go to the 37's.

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #5
DanielW
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice rig, I think I see it parked in Bodo Park most days. Jerry's got a point, I think he runs 4:88's with his 35's also. How is your power with the 35's and 4:11?
DanielW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
Fortmeier
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
My only comment has to do with your thoughts of going to 37" tires. .
My main reasoning behind 37's is if I decide to drop to 2" coils I'd like to gain clearance via tire size while staying low. But you also make a good point with the strength issue. The last thing I need is to bend axle housing and start wearing out parts faster than I can fund them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Nice looking Jeep, well set up

Last edited by Fortmeier; 07-08-2015 at 02:11 PM..
Unread 07-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #7
Fortmeier
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielW View Post
Nice rig, I think I see it parked in Bodo Park most days. Jerry's got a point, I think he runs 4:88's with his 35's also. How is your power with the 35's and 4:11?
That would be me. Honestly the power isn't too bad. I live up Florida and can maintain 45 easily uphill in 4th around 2500 rpm and can even shift to 5th if I want to save a buck or two. Once my skid get's shipped my next item on the list is re-gearing to 4:88. Are you the one who owns the black and red LJ parked at the building near the harley dealership?
Unread 07-07-2015, 03:55 PM   #8
DanielW
2006 LJ Wrangler 

No I have a white with black top LJ. My wife works up in Bodo, I pick her up for lunch some days. Is your jeep a automatic or manual...did not see that in your profile.
DanielW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #9
Fortmeier
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I might have seen yours drive by before. It's a 6 speed manual. Should have went auto. Crawling manual is a hassle to say the least.
Unread 07-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #10
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Be cautious when selecting a spring. The 2" springs are going to have a short free length in most cases and will unseat easily with shocks sized for most 3.5" lifts. Even the RE 3.5" springs are quite short by comparison to most in that lift height range. Those springs have one of the highest spring rates available for a TJ. It looks like they are unseating in one of your pics. That is a bad thing and results a loss of traction.

You may be well served trying something like a RC 2.5" spring which have very long free lengths vs most in the 2"-3" range. They aren't my favorite spring to use on a heavy rig, but you aren't looking to gain height, so they may be the right ticket.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2015, 08:05 AM   #11
Fortmeier
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the heads up. And good eye. They do in fact come unseated when stretched too far. I've been trying to address this problem but it seems the ultra stiff, as you mentioned high spring rate, RE coils need to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.