Need Smoother Ride - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Smoother Ride

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 11-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #1
GA TJ

Need Smoother Ride

Ive had my jeep for 3 years now with Rancho 5000s and MT baja claws, i dont think the ride can get any worse and rougher. Its time for new tires and shocks. Any suggestions on a good soft shock that will smooth the ride out a little bit?

thanks

RE 3.5 Coils. 1.25 BL, 1"MML, All Teraflex arms,trac bars, and sway bars, Currie SYE/CV. Jeep Medic Belly up and engine skid, 33x12.50 MT Claws :(
GA TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #2
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I personally like the James duff shocks $35 a piece. great at slow speeds and at high speeds. What tires are you going to? ATs MTs TSL style?

James duff designed these shocks after racing numerous years in his bronco including the baja 1000 and other places. I met him at a ECBR run when I went with a friend of mine. Really nice guy.

http://www.jamesduff.com/eb/suspension_components.html
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Like ProComp's ES-3000 shock, Rancho's R5000 shock has a reputation for being extremely stiff, too stiff for a Wrangler. I'd go with OME (Old Man Emu) or perhaps Doetsch Tech DT-3000 shocks. Most hydraulic shocks ride ok (the ES-3000 and R5000 being two notable exceptions) with a few gas charged shocks like the OME and special Wrangler-only Bilstein 5100 also riding well... but most other gas-charged shocks are just plain too stiff.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
AustinJeep

Hmmm I'm running OME shocks with the stock Rubi springs and don't care for the ride much. I'm told it would ride much better with different springs though
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...A/IMG_1994.jpg
AustinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2006, 04:10 AM   #5
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

my DT 3000's are smoother than my superlift, but still kind of a rough ride. i've heard the 8000's are a little better. i've ridden on OME's in a rubi, and it was night and day, but my lift is about 1.5" higher, so i xfer more shock via the control arms. people have said that the RE monotube are comparable to the OME's.
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

Brew what you drink, drink what you brew

USN Hull number 54
Poor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2006, 06:48 AM   #6
Vinman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Question for the rough riding crew:
What air pressure are you running in your tires?

I run about 23-24 psi in my 35" MT/R's and can really notice a difference in ride by going just one psi higher.

Vince
Vinman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2006, 07:20 AM   #7
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I put a set of Skyjacker 7000 Hydro shocks on last weekend. The packaging they came in makes me wonder if they are rebadged Rancho 7000s. Other than the box, they have no manufacture identification on them at all. They are towards the lower end of the price range. I've never owned a "normal" car, I've spent my years in vehicles and bikes with pretty stiff suspensions so I'm probably not as sensitive to ride quality as others are but they give me a pretty good ride.

I have to agree about tire pressure being an issue. Many people I've seen complain about a hard ride had their tires over inflated. Several at the PSI (max PSI for Max load) shown on the sidewall. When the pressure was set at a reasonable PSI the ride magically went from bone jarring to smooth.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2006, 08:14 AM   #8
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ome for a smooth ride.

Gone - 2000 Sport, 1987 YJ, 1997 SE
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2006, 08:21 AM   #9
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

i am running 26 psi in mine. i could probably take it down a couple, but i'm afraid to under-inflate it. i can't find any place flat for a chalk test in frickin belgium.
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

USN Hull number 54
Unread 11-08-2006, 08:36 AM   #10
dieselcrackel
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I installed the procomp MX6 adj shocks. They ride better then stock shocks. I hear most of procomp shocks but I can't complain about MX6's. I don't know if it because they are inverted or is it because I can adjust them to suit my needs
dieselcrackel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2006, 08:40 AM   #11
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDegenerate
i am running 26 psi in mine. i could probably take it down a couple, but i'm afraid to under-inflate it. i can't find any place flat for a chalk test in frickin belgium.
Belgium doesn't have parking lots?

There is a math process that will do the same thing as the chalk method for you.
On the sidewall of the tire you will find the max load/pressure of the tire.

For an example Iíll use a tire rated at 2270 lbs @ 50 psi and a vehicle that weighs 4850 lbs.

Step 1 - Multiply the max load times 4. This is the maximum weight your four tires can safely carry.
2270 lbs * 4 = 9080 lbs

Step 2 - Divide the weight of the vehicle (placard on driverís door jam) by the number you got in the first step. This is the percent of the max load you are actually carrying on the tires.
4850/9080 = 53%

Step 3 - Multiply the psi stated on the tire for max load by the percentage you got in step 2. This will give you an optimal pressure for you tire on the road.
50 psi * 53% = 27 psi

The chalk test and the math approach will usually give you very close answers.

These methods give you a start point for getting the psi that will give you even tire wear. Start at that point and go up/down a few lbs to get what you want. A few pounds more gives you better mpg. A few pounds down softens the ride more.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2006, 08:40 AM   #12
DrMani
Live to Cut

2002 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on the MX-6 shocks. I had Procomp ES-3000, rough ride. Night and day difference in ride.

No autopsy, no foul.
DrMani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2006, 10:07 AM   #13
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm
Belgium doesn't have parking lots?

There is a math process that will do the same thing as the chalk method for you.
On the sidewall of the tire you will find the max load/pressure of the tire.

For an example Iíll use a tire rated at 2270 lbs @ 50 psi and a vehicle that weighs 4850 lbs.

Step 1 - Multiply the max load times 4. This is the maximum weight your four tires can safely carry.
2270 lbs * 4 = 9080 lbs

Step 2 - Divide the weight of the vehicle (placard on driverís door jam) by the number you got in the first step. This is the percent of the max load you are actually carrying on the tires.
4850/9080 = 53%

Step 3 - Multiply the psi stated on the tire for max load by the percentage you got in step 2. This will give you an optimal pressure for you tire on the road.
50 psi * 53% = 27 psi

The chalk test and the math approach will usually give you very close answers.

These methods give you a start point for getting the psi that will give you even tire wear. Start at that point and go up/down a few lbs to get what you want. A few pounds more gives you better mpg. A few pounds down softens the ride more.
belgium has parking lots. and highways too. that's not my problem. i can't find a flat one i guess i'll have to do the math. thanks for that, i never even thought of it...
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

USN Hull number 54
Unread 11-08-2006, 10:32 AM   #14
Blu-Jacket
2009 JK Wrangler 

I switched from stock to OME's and it made a big improvement in ride quality.
Blu-Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2006, 10:56 AM   #15
Ichabod1960
Have Jeep, Will Travel

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDegenerate
I just can't resist. If your looking for flat just drive up to Holland. I remember lots of very flat land from my visit to Eindhoven in 97.

Seriously though, the math route works really well. The hard part is getting an accurate weight on the Jeep. A visit to the truck stop may be in your future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
There's a great lower division class called "Writing for Effective Communications so you don't go through the rest of your life confusing everyone who reads what you write 101" at Washington State University. I highly recommend it.
Ichabod1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.