need a smoother ride - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need a smoother ride

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-19-2004, 07:36 AM   #1
rogasm
2002 TJ Wrangler 

need a smoother ride

allright guys, this is getting rediculous. every little bump/crack in the road that i go over makes my whole jeep BOUNCE!!! not to mention the death wobble that i get at 42-50 mph. i have to get this worked out. any suggestions? steering stabilizers? i have a 2"BB and 31" tires. i just rotated my tires, which helped. thanks for everyone's help.

rogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2004, 07:38 AM   #2
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Tighten the bolts on the track bar. Have you done an alignment? What shocks are your running? How much air are you running in the tires?

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2004, 07:51 AM   #3
StealthTJ

With regards to smoothing the ride out, your two biggest things (setup as your Jeep is) are the tire pressure, and the shocks.
As was already asked,
- What tire pressure are you running
- What shocks are you running.

The DW is smothing else.
A steering stabilizer (or lack of one), will neither cause, nor prevent, death wobble.

Fred
[b]Misc[/b] - Tera 2wd lo.
[b]Tires[/b] - 35x12.50 MT/R's siped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
[b]Recovery[/b] - Warn XD9000i
StealthTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2004, 09:11 AM   #4
rogasm
2002 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for your help guys, i am not sure what pressure my tires are at right now, will check at lunch. still have stock shocks and it's probably a smart move to get some new ones. any suggestions?
rogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2004, 09:44 AM   #5
BSoDAlptraum

depends how much you are looking to spend...but i hear OME shocks are pretty good, and not too too pricey.

-Jeff
Unread 08-19-2004, 07:51 PM   #6
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogasm
thanks for your help guys, i am not sure what pressure my tires are at right now, will check at lunch. still have stock shocks and it's probably a smart move to get some new ones. any suggestions?

Try balancing your tires. I was getting some bad wobble at about 45 mph and having the fronts balanced fixed that. Since you are running the factory springs and shocks, it's probably the tire pressure.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2004, 07:27 AM   #7
JeepinJohnny

I'm having the same issues after my BB install. It came with new shocks, D3000 or something like that. I lowered my tire pressure from 40 (shop pumped the up) to 30. That helped some, but the ride is still harsh & jarring. Will a different shock or different spring help? I drive 95% on-road.

I am going to lower the tranny this weekend to eliminate the vibration from the driveshaft.

I have a hard time with keeping the tires balanced. I just had them balanced along with an alignment last week, and the death wobble has come back strong 2 days afterwards. I've had them rebalanced 3 times since April, and each time, they needed it.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket seat that is built to absorb some of the jolts and soften the ride for the driver?
JeepinJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2004, 09:27 AM   #8
uglyprimate

eat more cheeseburgers and put more padding on your butt
uglyprimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2004, 09:27 AM   #9
Seapahn

Mine rides like a cadillac on rx9000 shocks on the softest settings (9 firmness settings on each). Now I have the fronts at 1 and rears at 3 since I put the hard top back on. I do have a long arm lift though but the shocks are very nice.
Seapahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2004, 07:01 PM   #10
btolle

I put OME springs and shocks on my 04 and it made the ride much smoother.

Good shocks make a big difference.

I have heard complaints about the DT3000's being rough riders.

I also considered the Edlebrock's but the cost almost as much as OME's.

Bill Tolle
04 Sahara
04 Liberty
btolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2004, 05:58 PM   #11
04JeepTJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Rancho RS9000X - $90 each but you can flip 'em to the softest setting when you want to and think you're in a Caddy...
Unread 08-21-2004, 06:08 PM   #12
ChristopherJ
Resident Physician

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Which are better, old man emu or the Rancho RS9000X? Not taking into account the price difference, which provides the smoothest ride plus longest travel?
ChristopherJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.