Need to pass inspection? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need to pass inspection?

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 05-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Bear6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Need to pass inspection?

What's up everyone! I just bought my first vehicle. A 2001 60th Anniversary Edition Wrangler. The Jeep came with a ton of mods and a lot of after market parts. It has a 4" skyjacker suspension lift and a 1 inch body lift. Sitting on 35's. I took it to the shop down the street from me last week to have it inspected and it failed. The guy came back and told me 1. The wheels are "too big" 2. It needs a tail pipe and 3. The day lighter fog lights were too high. I'm not really worried about the pipe or the lights because thoes are easy fixes. I did some research and couldn't find any maximum tire size limits in Maryland. I called the local Jeep specially shop and asked them about it. They told me the wheels are fine as long as they are covered by the fenders. Then the dude goes on to tell me that it can't have more then 1 lift kit on it to pass! I can't really find any info about it or any rules about having more than one lift. Someone help me out and point me in the right way to go to get this worked out so I can pass inspection. Give me some good shop recommendations around Baltimore Md area! I want to get this thing on the road!

Bear6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
0blcktj6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Might want to try the MD local section of this forum, I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction of a Jeep friendly shop.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/v...ck-now-908246/
0blcktj6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Krikkit
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, but you picked the wrong state to live in if wanted to go around and do something crazy like buy a used car. Maryland has the toughest inspection laws.

What we have done in the past is just borrow some smaller wheels and tires off another truck to get passed that fender rule. My friends and I have put lifted rigs through inspection no problem. I think there is a max frame height, which the small tires will solve too.
Krikkit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Bear6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You're telling me. MD is the worst when it comes to jeeps. I'm just going to throw new fenders on it. I'm more worried about having 2 lift kits and not passing because of that. Stupid laws!
Bear6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Bane7962

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Bout the only good part of MD inspection laws is that we only have to do it once. Then it's just emissions every two years. Basically don't have a CEL on and you're good there
Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be something simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought.

When my Jeep stops making strange noises, I become concerned. That usually means I have to go back and find whatever fell off.
Bane7962 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Jrob05

2006 TJ Wrangler 

So a suspension lift and body lift are two lift kits? That sucks.
Jrob05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
body lift , lift , rules , suspension lift , wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.