Need Opinion on these Rocker Guards - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Opinion on these Rocker Guards

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-14-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
SteelBlueTJ
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

Need Opinion on these Rocker Guards

I am thinking of getting a set of sliders. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rockc...spagenameZWDVW

SteelBlueTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2005, 05:30 PM   #2
blackrubi

Check out the post on the group buy on the Rock-it man ones. Im not sure if its too late to get in on the action though. Maybe someone else can chime in.
blackrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2005, 06:16 PM   #3
Hunter9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrubi
Check out the post on the group buy on the Rock-it man ones. Im not sure if its too late to get in on the action though. Maybe someone else can chime in.
I think they may be taking orders through the end of the weekend.
RE 3.5 SF, 1" BL, 1" MML, 285/75/16 (33") MTRs, 16x8 MT Classic Locks, 4.10 gears, Lockrite Front, Warn Front and Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, Warn Diff Skids, Rock-it Man Rockers, Jeeperman Front Hoop, M8000, A to Z winch mount, Hella 500s, H4 Conversion

[COLOR="Red"]Former 3.07 Gears Club Member #1[/CENTER][/COLOR]
Hunter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

those don't seem terrible. there are others "name brand" ones that have more under body coverage though. those are $270 w/shipping.....for about $50 more from any other manufacturer, you could get more coverage.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 10:27 AM   #5
JJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

yeah they look good from the side, but doesnt seem to offer
much protection underneath. i think if your lookin in that price
range for rocker guards, you should consider the well known
name brands. personally im gonna go with AtoZ when i have the
funds for it.
JJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 11:14 AM   #6
03jeeper78

They don't offer much protection on the bottom at all. The thing that really bothers me is the way they're attached to the body mount and have a rock rail. If you drop that rail on a rock, there could be a lot of sheer force on that bolt. Rocker guards with rails also need to have a good number of attachments to the bottom of the tub to prevent bending in the side of the tub when you land on the rail. The mounting system that they are using would probably be fine if there was no rail, but the rail acts as a lever which trys to pull the bottom of the rocker guard down and away from the tub, and push the vertical section into the tub when you land on it. A lot more thought has to be given to the mounting system when a rail is put on a rocker guard.

Check out Shrockworks, AtoZ Fab, and Rock-It Man.
BSMCCEP Club Member #45
Stock: 4.0L I6:5-speed:3.07 gears:D35 with Trac-Loc:15x7 Ecco wheels:Dual Top Group
Mods: 30x9.5 BFG A-T T/A KO's:JKS Quicker disconnects:Rock-It Man rocker guards:Jeep Medic oil pan/tranny skid:Kilby steering skid:Warn D30 diff guard:C4x4 D35 diff guard:Rusty's radiator guard:Skid Row LCA skids:SilverStar headlights and fogs:Hidden Hitch class III receiver:Old Realistic 40ch CB:2' Firestik II:Arizona Rocky Road tailgate antenna mount
Next : Jeeperman rear bumper

'06 Candy Orange Honda Shadow Spirit 750
03jeeper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 11:33 AM   #7
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

^^^^ i see what you're saying, bout the body mount mounting part, but poison spyder has done ok with theirs under the same design.
Unread 08-15-2005, 11:41 AM   #8
03jeeper78

That's because PSC doesn't have a rail on theirs that I know of. The OEM Rubicon rocker guards mount the same way. There again, no rail.
BSMCCEP Club Member #45
Stock: 4.0L I6:5-speed:3.07 gears:D35 with Trac-Loc:15x7 Ecco wheels:Dual Top Group
Mods: 30x9.5 BFG A-T T/A KO's:JKS Quicker disconnects:Rock-It Man rocker guards:Jeep Medic oil pan/tranny skid:Kilby steering skid:Warn D30 diff guard:C4x4 D35 diff guard:Rusty's radiator guard:Skid Row LCA skids:SilverStar headlights and fogs:Hidden Hitch class III receiver:Old Realistic 40ch CB:2' Firestik II:Arizona Rocky Road tailgate antenna mount

Unread 08-15-2005, 12:55 PM   #9
Av Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrubi
You wont find any better rockers that rock-itman, Ive seen them in action and when the rocker came down on the rock it broke part of the rock ( The jeep was lifted and had to be pulled off, it wasnt a small one) and all there was done to the rocker was a scratch, 2nd to none coverage and also customer service
JC fab rockers and 1" seat lift
33"BFG MT's
Nth degree adjustable upper arm
Nth degree lower arms
Power trax front locker
Av Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 01:00 PM   #10
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Poison Spyder Customs

Unread 08-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #11
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itajeepthing
I am thinking of getting a set of sliders. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rockc...spagenameZWDVW
I think it's a stupid design. I also see no provision to make up for the 3/8's difference in body lift between where the rails mount and the rest of the body mounts.

If I sent you pucks for a body lift and the ones under the door were 3/8's of an inch thicker, you'd think I was an idiot engineer. Why would you intentionally do something that common sense tells you is wrong?

That exposed area is real susceptible to damage and collapses easily. It's a highly structural portion of the tub and in fact carries the body mounts and needs to be protected fiercely. Those don't.

Take a pass on those and get some that will better serve your needs.
mrblaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 01:38 PM   #12
JJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

TXST8tj... how nice of you to post your pink jeep, i always figured
you for being a lil on the side

j/k dude
and PSC rockers are nice!
for the record, i have no proof thats his jeep
JJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 01:52 PM   #13
03jeeper78

Well, I guess that's why PSC was never on my short list of rocker guard choices. IMHO, it's a bad design as are the e-bay ones in question.

Personally, I'd steer clear of anything that mounts to both the tub and the body mount or frame. I also steer clear of anything that has a rail and doesn't have obvious methods employed to counteract those forces (internal bracing, backing plates, extra bottom side attachments, etc).

That's just my own preference from a combination of gut feel, and a few semesters of college physics/statics classes. Other people have other preferences such as looks and price, which is why you have lots of different options for a rocker guard.
BSMCCEP Club Member #45

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.