Need a longer UCA... Lil help please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need a longer UCA... Lil help please

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 07-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
N757QQ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Need a longer UCA... Lil help please

So, I have my rear axle in, centered, solid. It is amazing going from 3.07:1 to 4.88:1 on 35s. I am very pleased with it.

My issue is that my adjustable UCAs (I have an AA SYE) are not long enough to get the axle pinion up where it belongs. I wish I had it welded at the angle it would be installed at, but it was not, and I cannot change it now. So, I have my adjustables all the way out & it is sitting level. My lowers are fixed, and I need longer uppers obviously, before my DS tears up, because it is binding & causing vibs.

My current ones are Rough Country adjustables. I need something that is significantly longer, both so I don't have it expanded all the way out, that makes me nervous (maybe my own lack of experience, but), and to get that pinion angled up about 20.

Any suggestions on should I just buy longer adjustable ends? is there such thing? I am hoping to replace them eventually with a long arm kit, but that's down the road a ways. If I have to buy new, what are some of the longer uppers to look at? I currently have my uppers sitting at 15.5" from middle of the bolt to middle of the bolt.

Unread 07-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
TheDragonfly
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Curries will go to 12.5-13.5"
Rokmen has onesthat will go 13.5 - 14.5"
Rokmen has a longer version which will go from 14.5-15.5"

You will need to shorten your lowers so the uppers wont need to be out that far. The 35s will make contact with the body at full bump with uppers that long.
TheDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Find a local weld shop and take your lower arms there. They can cut a piece out and weld it back together for somewhere around $30 or so. Have them add a tube inside to strengthen it. You could end up with the axle hitting the fuel tank if you stretch out the uppers too much.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonfly View Post

You will need to shorten your lowers so the uppers wont need to be out that far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N757QQ View Post
My lowers are fixed
Call up Rokmen.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Call up Rokmen.
If they don't have a fix, I would bet they do. Find out the thread size and search around. I went through this with my RE ones and lucky they sell a longer coupling that fixed me up.
re3768.jpg  
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
N757QQ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome, thanks guys for all the help. I'm sure I have a solid solution somewhere in there
Unread 07-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So, I have my rear axle in, centered, solid. It is amazing going from 3.07:1 to 4.88:1 on 35s. I am very pleased with it.

My issue is that my adjustable UCAs (I have an AA SYE) are not long enough to get the axle pinion up where it belongs. I wish I had it welded at the angle it would be installed at, but it was not, and I cannot change it now. So, I have my adjustables all the way out & it is sitting level. My lowers are fixed, and I need longer uppers obviously, before my DS tears up, because it is binding & causing vibs.

My current ones are Rough Country adjustables. I need something that is significantly longer, both so I don't have it expanded all the way out, that makes me nervous (maybe my own lack of experience, but), and to get that pinion angled up about 20.

Any suggestions on should I just buy longer adjustable ends? is there such thing? I am hoping to replace them eventually with a long arm kit, but that's down the road a ways. If I have to buy new, what are some of the longer uppers to look at? I currently have my uppers sitting at 15.5" from middle of the bolt to middle of the bolt.
Where are the tires centered? We just installed a new rear axle in the Savvy Unlimited and it's looking like we may have to cut a bit off the Currie uppers because we have them adjusted in all the way and still need a bit more to go.

Of course, that's with the axle on the bumpstops with the springs yanked out and the 35" MT/R just kissing the rear of the wheel well.
Unread 07-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
N757QQ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

mrblaine,

I am going to try to do exactly what you describe in your post today, to see what needs to be done with the bump stops, as well as check where the tires are at full travel in both directions.

To answer your question, the tires are centered in the wheel well at ride height, but I am not sure about where they are through the range of suspension travel. The guy who did all but the gears, as far as getting it in the Jeep didn't mention much specific to this other than saying that my upper control arms are adjusted fully out as long as they will go.

I am about to go check the rest out this morning, and I will post back on exactly what I see. I will get some pictures as well if I can. Sorry for not having more information available, late last night & this morning are my first times back home with all my tools, so that I can have a look. Not that I have some extensive knowledge of anything mechanical, but... so I can better ask for help I guess.

Thanks for your time, everyone.
Unread 07-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
N757QQ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the delay. I have been rather busy the last few days.

Here are a few pictures of the DS where I am about 90% sure it is binding & causing the vibes. I also have a picture of the wheels in the well, and can get more of the axle or specific stuff as needed.

Also, I got stuck working overtime for both of my days off, so I did not yet get a chance to work on pulling the springs to see where everything as the suspension travels. If it matters, I am planning to get my gas tank up as soon as I can, so that might help some with the axle hitting it. But I am not moving it into the cab, so I am not sure how much room I will get from the change.
ds-bind.jpg   ds-bind2.jpg   ds-bind3.jpg   jeep.jpg  
Unread 07-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think people will want a nice from the side shot of the driveshaft/differential to transfer case image. Not so much a close up, just as good of a side perspective to see how your angle is.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It looks like you're concerning yourself with the t-case end of the driveshaft. You need to set the axle end.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
N757QQ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Gotcha. Will try to get a better pic. The only reason I took the ones I did of that end is that I am sure the axle isn't angled as it should be, and that is where the issue is occurring, since it is binding there. I gather though that it may not be in my best interest to go with an even longer UCA where I may hit the tank on up travel, and if I go with shorter LCAs I'll lose wheelbase, and potentially cause other issues?

Let me see if I can get some light & a better pic.

edit: here is the pic. Little blurry, but I had to hold the camera steady for about 10sec while it captured. Again, I know it is the drive line angle, the issue is how to fix it since my UCAs are maxed out full length. My lowers are fixed unless I buy new & shorten them, or lengthen the uppers. Also, I know a MML would help a touch here as well.
ds-angle.jpg  

Last edited by N757QQ; 07-05-2010 at 08:53 PM..
N757QQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #13
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Gotcha. Will try to get a better pic. The only reason I took the ones I did of that end is that I am sure the axle isn't angled as it should be, and that is where the issue is occurring, since it is binding there. I gather though that it may not be in my best interest to go with an even longer UCA where I may hit the tank on up travel, and if I go with shorter LCAs I'll lose wheelbase, and potentially cause other issues?

Before the internet made such a huge deal over wheelbase, the rest of us just made stuff clear at full stuff and went wheeling.

If you are truly concerned over an inch or so of wheelbase, sell your rig and go buy an Unlimited or a Toyota P/U.
Unread 07-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
N757QQ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Fair enough. It is not so much a concern, as it is that this is my intro into off roading. Before this Jeep, I had no concept, other than hillbilly mudding.

So, I should be good with adjustable lowers & losing a touch of wheel base?

Thanks again for the help.
Unread 07-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #15
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

edit: here is the pic. Little blurry, but I had to hold the camera steady for about 10sec while it captured. Again, I know it is the drive line angle, the issue is how to fix it since my UCAs are maxed out full length. My lowers are fixed unless I buy new & shorten them, or lengthen the uppers. Also, I know a MML would help a touch here as well.
That is a very poor pinion angle...

Tags
uca , tj , upper control arm , control arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.