Need longer bumpstops, and shock travel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need longer bumpstops, and shock travel?

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 09-10-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Need longer bumpstops, and shock travel?

I welded on new rear shock brackets and now have 4.25" of up travel with the shock and 5.25" before the bump stop bottoms out.

Anyone know if the front upper bump stops are longer than the rears? I don't have my stock ones here.

Are there any junk yard or other jeep bump stops that are longer and would work?

Second part of the post, after I welded on my new brackets I now have 9" of total travel, 4.25" up and 4.75" droop. Is that a reasonable amount? I haven't had them bottom out yet and I would notice it with my shocks being the current bump stop. Yes I do realize this would have been one of those excellent before hand questions

Last edited by Scotch740; 09-11-2008 at 01:40 PM..
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Dang no responses? Anyone have a stock front bump stop sitting around they could measure? Or measure ones on a jeep? Id appreciate the help
Unread 09-11-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
97casteeltj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch740 View Post
Dang no responses? Anyone have a stock front bump stop sitting around they could measure? Or measure ones on a jeep? Id appreciate the help
do you want the measurement of the stock bumpstop (the part that patrudes) or the black stock spacer?? i'm at work right now but i believe i have both at home.

-John
Unread 09-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Interested in the black rubber piece the gets pressed into the front cup. The part that protrudes and makes contact with the bottom spacer.

Thanks
Unread 09-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
97casteeltj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch740 View Post
Interested in the black rubber piece the gets pressed into the front cup. The part that protrudes and makes contact with the bottom spacer.

Thanks
alright, i will measure that later, hopefully someone can get to it before i can, but i should be a few hours at the least.
Unread 09-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You could put a spacer under the bumpstop cup and attach it with a longer bolt.

4.25" of uptravel is plenty.

Is it the shock that is limiting your down travel? I would think you would have a little more overall travel with the shocks that you can use on a 4.5" RE kit.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
You could put a spacer under the bumpstop cup and attach it with a longer bolt.

4.25" of uptravel is plenty.

Is it the shock that is limiting your down travel? I would think you would have a little more overall travel with the shocks that you can use on a 4.5" RE kit.
OK I may give that a try if I can't get something else to work. My tools and materials are really limited here at school, don't even have a drill. Which is why I was hoping the front ones would work and I could just get them mailed to me or pick up someone elses stockers they replaced.

Those are the shock that came with the lift. I though 9" of travel seamed a little short. I haven't had a chance to flex it out to the max yet but what else would limit the travel?

So I just went and measured them at ride height and looked up the specs on REs site. They have the shock lenghts as 15.375-24.875 My length was 19.875. I swear I measured 9" of travel not 9.5" as they advertise, with the shock off the jeep. So I have 4.5" up and 5" down according to their specs.

97casteeltj, don't worry about measuring them, they are going to be too short. I will either be adding a spacer or getting the RE extended bump stops.

Last edited by Scotch740; 09-11-2008 at 01:29 PM..
Unread 09-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The stock rear sway bar can limit flex a little on certain setups.

Those RE shocks are a little short on the extended side. Many other shocks that are 15-16" compressed are 26" or more extended.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.