Need a lift for my DD 05 LJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need a lift for my DD 05 LJ

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
slim163

Need a lift for my DD 05 LJ

Ok, first post. I recently acquired a 2005 LJ Automatic with a 4.0. It currently has an unknown mild body lift with 33s, but there is no other mods to the Jeep at all. I want to start from scratch, and my preference would be to put 35 12.5s on it, and I'm really interested in having a great road vehicle that is suitable for the highway, but has the capacity to have fun off road.
I want to do it right the first time, and not buy junk, so the question is where do I start, and what would be on my shopping list for the lift (i.e. do i need brake lines, cv, sye, etc.?) Trying to make things simple for me to understand, because I have no experience, but the capacity to learn. Thanks.

slim163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Use the search function and you will find a ton of info that will keep you reading for days. But yes you will need to upgrade the brakes, steering and a few other items. It won't be cheap.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

there are many ways to get to 35's, the constants are upgraded brakes, steering, gears.

then it goes to type of lift and how you'll stuff the tires under it

SL
SL+BL
Flat fenders/high-lined fenders

almost everything has pros and cons, thats where reading build threads, reviews, and searching through this forum helps save a lot of money and gets you a quality rig
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
slim163

Definitely doing my share of reading. Thanks. dont like the look of the body lifts. Just looking for some simple to understand what to get opinions.
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim163 View Post
Definitely doing my share of reading. Thanks. not Just looking for some simple to understand what to get opinions.
excellent, once you get an idea of how you want to do it, make a plan. read some more, then after throwing away that plan, make another one.

ask questions along the way to help guide your plan and your build. just about anything you can think about doing to a jeep has been done 100 times, and we get the benefit of learning from others mistakes

and the more info you have in your profile the better, it helps others when answering your questions
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
slim163

I will do that thanks
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
BimotaBruce

2005 LJ Wrangler 

We've got the same Jeep, and I've been through the same thing. Happy to help with photos (PM me) or anything else I've learned.

After a bit of experimentation, I've ended up piecing together a Currie kit. You just can't go wrong with their stuff (or some permutations of it available from Savvy Off Road).

It fits, it works (street & trail), & it's high quality.

Good luck....the LJ's a great starting platform!
MetalCloak Overlines, 4" Currie springs & CA's, 1" BL, Rancho 9000's, 35" MTR's, D44's w/ARB's & 4.27's, RCV & Superior Axles, 241 TC, UCF TummyTuck, GenRight mini-boatside sliders DirtWorx bumpers, OR Fab sportcage, Viair OBA, Savvy GTS
BimotaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
slim163

Thanks ill look into that one
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/i-...-my-tj-751873/
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
tyvanwie
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Edit: never mind. Not gonna bother.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.