need info for gear swap, starting point - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need info for gear swap, starting point

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 09-13-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

need info for gear swap, starting point

i cant find the info i need and ive searched for 2 days..i just got 4.56 gears for my 97 tj.got detroit lockers and everything but master install kit.
will the master kit give me a starting point as far as the shims go??
when i remove the gears in have now will the shims be put in the same place on the new ring and pinion as a starting point to start setting it all up?

i have all the tools,magnetic dial indicators,calipers,depth gauges etc and know how to use them but this will be the first time in 20 yrs since ive done a gear swap but shouldnt have a problem..

just not finding the info id like to see..if anyone can help,,your appreciated

johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
YJ_Aaron
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes the shims under the inner race will be a good starting point. A lot of gears will give you a +/- and then so many ten thousandths to change from that point. I always find that gets me within 2 or 3 changes of shims.

Remember when you change the shims on the pinion, the shims to set backlash won't be correct. I always make the old bearings setup bearings by honing them out so they slide on and off the carrier.

http://ozarksjeepthing.com/c/index.php
YJ_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.