Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need Ideas - Power distribution, fuses, and Switch Panel

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jtice 
#1 ·
One of the things I want to get setup in my Jeep, is a nice power distribution block.
With a main power lead coming from the battery, to a splitter box, with a builtin fuse for each power channel.
Something like this maybe...
http://12voltguy.com/1wire12way.htm

I then want to run all my power needs from that distribution point,
and have a nice set of toggle switches on the dash to run all the things.

Main things I am wanting to run...
Lights, lots of them, front and rear offroad lights, fog lights, undercarriage crawler lights, interior LED lights.
Eventually the Winch controls.
Locker safety bypass switch.

Just looking for ideas on how to best go about setting this all up.
So that when I add things over time, I have a nice way of tapping into, and controlling the power.

Thanks.
~John

See less See more
#2 ·
To start, there is sPOD. He can set you up with a really nice switch center and relay block for at least 6 different electrical add-ons. Then there is the Painless Cirkit Boss, in both the 7 and 3 electrical add-on varieties. The 12 Volt guy has some cool stuff. There are quite a few boating places that offer up fuse panels and relay sets...even some airplane websites with cool stuff..

#3 ·
:eyebulge: WOW. The only thing I can think of is add relays in circuits that exceed 50% of the switch capacities. Geez, the copper alone should make it appreciate a small amount.
I once had a setup similar in another ride and liked it. Looked like a spaceship 'cause I had illuminated switches.:D
Pre-plan your routing too.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Thanks for the links guys, those will help alot.
I am not totally sure how I want to go about it yet.
Right now, I am thinking I will install a fuse block with 6 or 8 slots,
that will both split the power into 6 or 8 leads, and have a fuse for each.
Then I want to install a 6 to 8 switch panel in the center dash (where the ash tray should be)

I looked into the overhead switch panels,
and while I do like them, and think they would be easy to get to,
I can just see a wiring nightmare, getting 6 to 8 sets of wires up there and back down.

The switch panel wont be as hard, I have found some nice ones, like on 12voltguy.com
or I can simply make my own as I have in the past.
Seen here in my old Yota...

The power distribution and fusing is my main concern, I havnt really done that before.

"The Source" looks quite nice, and well thought out, but I think its a bit overkill for my needs, and a bit out of my price range :(

~John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.