Need Ideas - Power distribution, fuses, and Switch Panel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Ideas - Power distribution, fuses, and Switch Panel

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #1
jtice
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Need Ideas - Power distribution, fuses, and Switch Panel

One of the things I want to get setup in my Jeep, is a nice power distribution block.
With a main power lead coming from the battery, to a splitter box, with a builtin fuse for each power channel.
Something like this maybe...
http://12voltguy.com/1wire12way.htm

I then want to run all my power needs from that distribution point,
and have a nice set of toggle switches on the dash to run all the things.

Main things I am wanting to run...
Lights, lots of them, front and rear offroad lights, fog lights, undercarriage crawler lights, interior LED lights.
Eventually the Winch controls.
Locker safety bypass switch.

Just looking for ideas on how to best go about setting this all up.
So that when I add things over time, I have a nice way of tapping into, and controlling the power.

Thanks.
~John

Unread 02-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Heyduke
2006 TJ Wrangler 

To start, there is sPOD. He can set you up with a really nice switch center and relay block for at least 6 different electrical add-ons. Then there is the Painless Cirkit Boss, in both the 7 and 3 electrical add-on varieties. The 12 Volt guy has some cool stuff. There are quite a few boating places that offer up fuse panels and relay sets...even some airplane websites with cool stuff..
Heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
Jerky bump
2003 TJ Wrangler 

WOW. The only thing I can think of is add relays in circuits that exceed 50% of the switch capacities. Geez, the copper alone should make it appreciate a small amount.
I once had a setup similar in another ride and liked it. Looked like a spaceship 'cause I had illuminated switches.
Pre-plan your routing too.
I use FRAM filters too!
Jerky bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
kizer

This is what I have in my TJ. http://www.4x4s-pod.com/purchase.html
Scroll down a bit until you see "The Source" Up above that are available switch panels that literally screw right into your windsheild header. I've been running the setup since its came out and its not failed me yet.
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'll take a pic of my setup if I remember when I get home but it revolves around this:

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/196977482msk.htm

It's not waterproof though - if you're gonna be doing lots of water driving perhaps one of the more splashproof blocks here will do

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Rel...Fuse_Boxes.asp
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
jtice
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the links guys, those will help alot.
I am not totally sure how I want to go about it yet.
Right now, I am thinking I will install a fuse block with 6 or 8 slots,
that will both split the power into 6 or 8 leads, and have a fuse for each.
Then I want to install a 6 to 8 switch panel in the center dash (where the ash tray should be)

I looked into the overhead switch panels,
and while I do like them, and think they would be easy to get to,
I can just see a wiring nightmare, getting 6 to 8 sets of wires up there and back down.

The switch panel wont be as hard, I have found some nice ones, like on 12voltguy.com
or I can simply make my own as I have in the past.
Seen here in my old Yota...

The power distribution and fusing is my main concern, I havnt really done that before.

"The Source" looks quite nice, and well thought out, but I think its a bit overkill for my needs, and a bit out of my price range

~John

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.