Need HVAC vacuum line help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need HVAC vacuum line help

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 10-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #1
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Need HVAC vacuum line help

The vacuum line going into the firewall that controls the vent positioning broke up near the firewall in my 97. What's left of it snaps like twigs when handled. I have ordered the entire vacuum line assembly to replace it all.

My question is this: unless I missed the section in the FSM, I cannot see where and how to replace the firewall port (the wee tube that splits off and goes right in by the AC tubes...). Can this be done without removing the entire dashboard?

JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You might have to pull the dash back on that side to get up in there to replace the whole line up to the control panel. When I did my heater core and had to pull the dash out to get to all, I noticed the small vac line running thru to panel. Unless you can get your hands up in there with dash in place might be hard to do.
JWebber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I was afraid of that. That's partially why I didn't replace that aging line years ago. I fixed it out in the bush this weekend with some small engine gas tubing over what pieces were left and didn't snap instantly, but it's only a matter of time before the remaining plastic line fractures.
Unread 10-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I see, so the rest of the line going into the fire wall is brittle as well, past the tee fitting correct?
JWebber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, correct. I'm pretty sure its safe to assume the entire line is nearing the end of its useful life.

Surely someone else up here has put eyes on that fitting as it goes into the firewall and comes out inside somewhere........
Unread 10-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
trickydick
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you see the vacuum connector to the right of the fuse block, the vacuum line for your hvac controls runs through the fire wall inside a big rubber plug thingy with two hard line for the heat or A/C, do yourself a massive favor here and just drill a hole a couple of inches above the "big rubber plug thingy" and jump a new line to the back of that vacuum connector.
trickydick is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. The 97 looks a good bit different, but your suggestion of drilling a new hole is interesting. I'm just going to have to get up in there and have a good look this weekend. What I can't see in initial poking around is where the bundle of colored vacuum lines terminate, it disappears behind a bracket or something, I presume into a transition connector that splits between the duct controls and the blend door controls

It just stuns me nobody up here with a 97-99 yr model has had to deal with this.....
Unread 10-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I finally found the part (I think). Arrives tomorrow. Seems there are two separate pieces. The engine bay part, and the inside part. 4864997AB inside and 55037393AE outside. As soon as the inside part arrives, I should get some idea of how it passes through the firewall, and if there is anything but a grommet between. If it's just a grommet, I should be able to lube it up and pass it through from inside, I hope....
Unread 10-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, I replaced the outside, there were several places that were "crispy". The part I really needed though, was a part of the inside kit. Here's where it got tricky - to replace the entire inside kit, you need to remove the dash. So, I took the piece that broke off off the inside kit and just used that. It goes through the firewall, just pushes straight through. Inside, you have to remove the fuse block, and then you can access where the vacuum source line hooks into it's other half via a simple sleeve. I'll save the rest of the kit for when I have my heater core replaced.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.