Need help....Stock brakes w/36's - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help....Stock brakes w/36's

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #16
Farmkid
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How much do they cost and where can I order them?

Farmkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #17
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmkid View Post
How much do they cost and where can I order them?
PM mrblaine, he sells them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #18
EricRollerSkate
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have just mounted a set of 36" iroks yesterday. I still have the stock brakes but recently installed new pads and had the rotors turned. What is the best upgrade without dumping a lot of money into it. Can I swap to a different pad and notice a improvement help please.
Super 35 + 36's = awesome!! I beat mine senseless, and I sail over every obstacle with tons of clearance.

Why wear a flip flop on your left foot, and a steel toe on the right?
EricRollerSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #19
garybattles
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The pads are $95 shipped. A combo of pads and Centric premium rotors are $225 plus shipping, I believe. PM Mr. Blaine for specifics and to order. Reports from a small group of testers on here say that the Black Magic Pads are equal to or better (most said better) than the yellow stuff and are cheaper to boot. I'm putting mine on tomorrow. And who wouldn't want some magic stuff on their Jeep?
Unread 10-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #20
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Please either help me out or don't say anything.
Your stock brakes are NOT strong enough for 36s. period. nothing you do will improve them enough to stop the vehicle adequately enough. You're risking the safety of yourself, and everyone on the road with you.

Either buy smaller tires or buy bigger brakes. You can band-aid it with replacement pads, fancy rotors, fancy brake lines, etc, but the bottom line is the stock brakes are poorly designed.

I run a Vanco 15" wheel Big Brake Kit on 33s and it stops better than bone stock with 30s. And I did it on a budget. I used to run the stock Centric/EBC combo.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #21
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
What's "a lot of money" to you for reliable brakes?
Said another way, what's your budget for this project?
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #22
dling
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just adding, I did rear rubi axle swap and saw no improvement in 4 wheel discs. Was thinking about adding a proportioning valve but everyone I know that has done showed minimal improvements. As always with braking, the front is whats doing the majority of the work.

On another note, I am not having any problem with 35's being difficult to stop. Sometime old spongy lines might make you have a less than responsive pedal. Maybe try upgrading to braided cable brake lines. Don't be afraid to re-bleed either, a little air will make a huge difference.
dling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #23
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

Either buy smaller tires or buy bigger brakes. You can band-aid it with replacement pads, fancy rotors, fancy brake lines, etc, but the bottom line is the stock brakes are poorly designed.
The stock brakes are perfectly fine for the stock weight of the vehicle and 31" tires. After that, you're on your own.
Unread 10-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #24
lilcobrar
1998 XJ Cherokee 

A friend of mine that I wheel with has a 97 on 37" MT/R's with stock brakes and it's been his daily driver rain or shines for the past 2-3 years without any issues.
lilcobrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #25
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcobrar View Post
A friend of mine that I wheel with has a 97 on 37" MT/R's with stock brakes and it's been his daily driver rain or shines for the past 2-3 years without any issues.
and when he cant get it stopped you will stop preaching this. Especially when he says, "i knew i should have done something with my brakes, they totally sucked."

I jsut ordered centric premium rotors and Black magic pads from mrblaine, I know that i need a vanco BBK, but im kind of waiting on new knuckles.
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #26
garybattles
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Has he had to make any emergency stops? With 32's, stock brakes and ABS, I've had some pretty close calls with idiot drivers that cut in front of me without signaling, make left hand turns at intersections in front of me or run stop lights (California must have 90% of the worst drivers in the country). In some of these circumstances, I've avoided collisions by a matter of inches. And I am a pretty conservative / defensive driver. Would not have avoided many of them with any larger tires. I'm putting on magic pads and Centric rotors tomorrow. I'd say your friend is very lucky or that you guys have much better drivers back there.
Unread 10-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #27
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcobrar View Post
So it's your recommendation that anyone with a TJ and the stock system can bolt on 37's and be just fine?
Unread 10-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #28
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

There IS an intermedaite place between Vanco big brake setup with the new pads and 'good rotors and great pads on the stock setup'.

It's a WJ knuckle conversion, with great pads.

Cost is pretty much the same as Vanco. Only real advantage is in the steering upgrade possibilities that come along with it. HOWEVER... large amounts of fabrication, rersearch, and welding is required.

The only real solution to braking issues with large tires is bigger brakes. Vanco is perhaps the most cost effective approach.

OP... did you seriously think bolting on really big tires and breaking out a sawzall to make them sort of clear was a real solution???

Big tires, lifted Jeeps are WAY more expensive than almost any parts manufacturer is willing to admit. Even the Genright 'complete' kits at around 8 grand don't address issues like steering setups that actually work, or braking issues. They also don't include the nearly 10 grand of axle upgrades needed to effectively use really large tires, like 37+ that are used anywhere but a mall parking lot.

Big tires, done right, are FREAKING EXPENSIVE. Deal with it, or don't go there.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #29
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
Big tires, done right, are FREAKING EXPENSIVE. Deal with it, or don't go there.
This should be a banner on page 1 of the forum.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #30
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

OK, so front brake upgrades are adequately detailed. I currently have 33" tires with 35" in the future. I have PM'd mrblaine and ordered the Black Magic/Centric combo, and have to say he was a pleasure to deal with and highly recommended.

What can I do about the stock drum brakes on my Dana 35 in the back? Is a new set of shoes and decent adjustment/bleed as good as it gets?
hustler905 is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.