Need help with replacement brake pads and rotors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help with replacement brake pads and rotors

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-25-2006, 06:16 PM   #1
bshwckr

Need help with replacement brake pads and rotors

I need to do a brake job on my rig and was wondering if anyone had any advice - need replacement brake pads and rotors. OEM worked well but they are pricey. Are there any aftermarket ones that provide equal or better performance like semi-metallic, carbon, ceramic?

I have had problems in the past with some "semi-metallic" aftermarket pads and I would like to avoid performance issues. The jeep is a 2003 TJ.

Any advice for a novice?

Thanks!

bshwckr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
woody-77
Vulcan FTW

2007 FSJ Cherokee 

I think Jerry recommended a brand of pad to use...can't remember which it was....anyone....anyone?????

Quote:
Thread deleted by Jerry Bransford
Reason: This was beyond human decency... posting about someone's girlfriend is ****ed up.
woody-77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
Rule303
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard Hawk Pads and powerslot rotors are good. Don't know if you'd want a slotted rotor on an offroad vehicle though.
Rule303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 06:53 PM   #4
woody-77
Vulcan FTW

2007 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky05
I've heard Hawk Pads and powerslot rotors are good. Don't know if you'd want a slotted rotor on an offroad vehicle though.

I wouldn't think you would want to put slotted rotors on a TJ unless you are only going to drive on pavement.

Quote:
Thread deleted by Jerry Bransford
Reason: This was beyond human decency... posting about someone's girlfriend is ****ed up.
woody-77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
JoeyBuck

There is a factory technical service bulliton out on the brake compound on TJ's. See if you can talk your local repair shop out of a copy of it.
Having owned a automotive service center for 25 years now, I would only put factory brake parts on your Jeep.
We have tried various aftermarket pads and they just will not work as well.
JoeyBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 06:57 PM   #6
fried_gold

Best advice I can give you is to make sure you get the correct rotors. Take the old rotor in and make sure it's exactly the same size as the new one. They changed them and there's about 1/8 inch difference, but the computers aren't always right either. For example, my 2001 uses 2000 model rotors and the "correct" 01 rotors won't work (musta had some leftover 00 axles when they made mine). I like Performance Friction pads and I think that's what Jerry recommends too, or maybe it's someone else.
fried_gold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 07:01 PM   #7
fried_gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBuck
There is a factory technical service bulliton out on the brake compound on TJ's. See if you can talk your local repair shop out of a copy of it.
Having owned a automotive service center for 25 years now, I would only put factory brake parts on your Jeep.
We have tried various aftermarket pads and they just will not work as well.
You can get all TSBs here: http://www.alldata.com/recall/make
fried_gold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
gregmondro

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody-77
I wouldn't think you would want to put slotted rotors on a TJ unless you are only going to drive on pavement.
Slotted are fine

You might have troubles with cross drilled ones (getting mud in them) on an offroad vehicle though. But even then I doubt it.

I'd recommend some Powerstop (about 50 a rotor) or some Powerslot ($189ish for both front rotors) slotted rotors for the front if you just want to upgrade the rotors.

Hawk or Performance Fricton Carbon Metallic pads would compliment these nicely.
99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, Rear D44 w/ Detroit SoftLocker and a RockCrusher Diff Cover, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Goferit Tie Rod Flip Insert, Optima Red Top and a few other goodies...
FiveZeroFive
XJ 8.25 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion For Sale!
gregmondro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 09:16 PM   #9
daveg13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody-77
I think Jerry recommended a brand of pad to use...can't remember which it was....anyone....anyone?????
Performance Friction
Unread 07-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #10
FutureJK

x2 on making sure you get the right rotors, i had the same problem, 1/8 of an inch difference
Unread 07-26-2006, 01:45 AM   #11
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Aren't you guys following the Big Brakes thread?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ghlight=brakes

http://www.clavicle3.com

http://www.jeepwest.com
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.