need help please (manual tranny shifting difficult when cold) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need help please (manual tranny shifting difficult when cold)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 12-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
chafalote
2001 TJ Wrangler 

need help please (manual tranny shifting difficult when cold)

i just purchased a 2001 wrangler 2.5 with a 5 speed tranny,i just changed the clutch and components and changed the tranny lub. i live in el paso tx, the temp here does not get to cold. in the mornings i have a litle trouble engaiging the tranny in 2nd and 3rd, after about 15 minutes of driving the problem goes away, im puzzled.

chafalote is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
BradyAds.com
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Its the transfer case. It just needs to heat up a bit....Maybe? Mine does that as well, but I attribute it to the cold in Michigan.
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:18 PM   #3
chafalote
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, hope both of us can get the problem resolved.
chafalote is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Have you changed the tranny fluid lately? On my 2000, it shifted badly until I changed the fluid.

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
Death_Valley_TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The transfer case should have little to do with transmission shifting. What lube did you put in the transmission? Some recommend Red Line MT-90. It sounds like the transmission lube is slow to warm up.
Death_Valley_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
DaOne
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Valley_TJ
The transfer case should have little to do with transmission shifting. What lube did you put in the transmission?
Agreed. I would make sure you have the right fluid in the tranny. Royal Purple seems to work pretty good. Also Amsoil...

I miss my Jeep. On the hunt for a replacement.
DaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #7
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chafalote
i just purchased a 2001 wrangler 2.5 with a 5 speed tranny, I just changed the clutch and components and changed the tranny lube. i live in el Paso Tx. the temp here does not get to cold. in the mornings i have a little trouble engaging the tranny in 2nd and 3rd, after about 15 minutes of driving the problem goes away, I'm puzzled.
Since you just had the clutch changed, try taking it back to the mechanic who changed it and ask him about the alignment for the shifter. the lubrication oil is probably just 90w gear oil and is the same weight that was in prior, so the oil is not it.
Unread 12-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
DaOne
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4grey88
Since you just had the clutch changed, try taking it back to the mechanic who changed it and ask him about the alignment for the shifter. the lubrication oil is probably just 90w gear oil and is the same weight that was in prior, so the oil is not it.
I would think that if it was something such as the alignment for the shifter, the problem wouldn't go away after 15 minutes. Just my 2 cents...

I miss my Jeep. On the hunt for a replacement.
DaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
Sahara01
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have known several people with shifting issues in their manuals...they changed to Amsoil MTF 5w-30, and the problem went away.

Let me verify what I posted above. I don't want someone to put the wrong fluid in their tranny. I will update and verify asap.
Shortbus Offroad Team #242
sponsored by
www.rockkrawler.com, GOODYEAR TIRES, http://www.browndogoffroad.com/ , Solid Axle Industries, Genright,

Last edited by Sahara01; 12-19-2007 at 03:33 PM..
Sahara01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 03:13 PM   #10
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's pretty normal for cold mornings. You do want to verify that you have the correct fluid in it though. I can't remember if the 2001 had the AX-5 or the NV series - each require a different fluid.
Unread 12-19-2007, 03:25 PM   #11
06WranglerX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Normal, I have a ford probe i use to drive in the winter and i would have to allow it 10 min to warm up so the fluid wasn't so thick and i could actually get it from N to 1 or 2nd. On really cold days it would sometimes take 15 min, best advise i can give you, park it in the garage if you have access, or allow it 10 min to warm up. so the fluid isnt so thick.

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #12
Sahara01
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman
That's pretty normal for cold mornings. You do want to verify that you have the correct fluid in it though. I can't remember if the 2001 had the AX-5 or the NV series - each require a different fluid.
NV3550 is what is listed for 2001, 2.5L, and 5 speed.

Ok, I see two different transmissions listed on the Amsoil site. The folks I know used Amsoil MTF 5w-30 in their NV3550's with great success.

Amsoil also show's a EX NV3550 which they recommend MTG 75w-90 fluid.

I'm personally not sure of the difference in the two listings for the transmissions ?

Anybody..if not I will contact Amsoil and find out...
sponsored by
www.rockkrawler.com, GOODYEAR TIRES, http://www.browndogoffroad.com/ , Solid Axle Industries, Genright,

Last edited by Sahara01; 12-19-2007 at 03:43 PM..
Unread 12-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #13
Sahara01
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara01
NV3550 is what is listed for 2001, 2.5L, and 5 speed.

Ok, I see two different transmissions listed on the Amsoil site. The folks I know used Amsoil MTF 5w-30 in their NV3550's with great success.

Amsoil also show's a EX NV3550 which they recommend MTG 75w-90 fluid.

I'm personally not sure of the difference in the two listings for the transmissions ?

Anybody..if not I will contact Amsoil and find out...
Ok, EX means except the NV3550. it seems they may have used a AX-5 behind the 2.5, so ya have to find out what tranny you have for sure.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/nv3550.htm
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ax5.htm
sponsored by
Unread 12-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #14
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mine just started shifting pretty rough also now that it's getting cold. I changed the fluid to Royal Purple a couple of days ago based on reviews on this site and it works amazingly well. I doubted it would make a difference but it shifts much smoother and is much quieter. It even eliminated the roughness I had in neutral.
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 10:30 PM   #15
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOne
I would think that if it was something such as the alignment for the shifter, the problem wouldn't go away after 15 minutes. Just my 2 cents...
Yes but the mechanic could have not aligned the tranny, linkage, and/or transfer case which might make it difficult to shift.

It did not do it prior to replacing the clutch --did it?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.