JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   need help please (manual tranny shifting difficult when cold) (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/need-help-please-manual-tranny-shifting-difficult-when-cold-497517/)

chafalote 12-18-2007 09:35 PM

need help please (manual tranny shifting difficult when cold)

i just purchased a 2001 wrangler 2.5 with a 5 speed tranny,i just changed the clutch and components and changed the tranny lub. i live in el paso tx, the temp here does not get to cold. in the mornings i have a litle trouble engaiging the tranny in 2nd and 3rd, after about 15 minutes of driving the problem goes away, im puzzled.

BradyAds.com 12-18-2007 09:47 PM

Its the transfer case. It just needs to heat up a bit....Maybe? Mine does that as well, but I attribute it to the cold in Michigan.

chafalote 12-18-2007 11:18 PM

Thanks, hope both of us can get the problem resolved.

Savvy 12-18-2007 11:23 PM

Have you changed the tranny fluid lately? On my 2000, it shifted badly until I changed the fluid.

Death_Valley_TJ 12-19-2007 12:35 PM

The transfer case should have little to do with transmission shifting. What lube did you put in the transmission? Some recommend Red Line MT-90. It sounds like the transmission lube is slow to warm up.

DaOne 12-19-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death_Valley_TJ
The transfer case should have little to do with transmission shifting. What lube did you put in the transmission?

Agreed. I would make sure you have the right fluid in the tranny. Royal Purple seems to work pretty good. Also Amsoil...

CRAWLING 98 12-19-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chafalote
i just purchased a 2001 wrangler 2.5 with a 5 speed tranny, I just changed the clutch and components and changed the tranny lube. i live in el Paso Tx. the temp here does not get to cold. in the mornings i have a little trouble engaging the tranny in 2nd and 3rd, after about 15 minutes of driving the problem goes away, I'm puzzled.

Since you just had the clutch changed, try taking it back to the mechanic who changed it and ask him about the alignment for the shifter. the lubrication oil is probably just 90w gear oil and is the same weight that was in prior, so the oil is not it.

DaOne 12-19-2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4grey88
Since you just had the clutch changed, try taking it back to the mechanic who changed it and ask him about the alignment for the shifter. the lubrication oil is probably just 90w gear oil and is the same weight that was in prior, so the oil is not it.

I would think that if it was something such as the alignment for the shifter, the problem wouldn't go away after 15 minutes. Just my 2 cents...

Sahara01 12-19-2007 02:56 PM

I have known several people with shifting issues in their manuals...they changed to Amsoil MTF 5w-30, and the problem went away.

Let me verify what I posted above. I don't want someone to put the wrong fluid in their tranny. I will update and verify asap.

Dogman 12-19-2007 04:13 PM

That's pretty normal for cold mornings. You do want to verify that you have the correct fluid in it though. I can't remember if the 2001 had the AX-5 or the NV series - each require a different fluid.

06WranglerX 12-19-2007 04:25 PM

Normal, I have a ford probe i use to drive in the winter and i would have to allow it 10 min to warm up so the fluid wasn't so thick and i could actually get it from N to 1 or 2nd. On really cold days it would sometimes take 15 min, best advise i can give you, park it in the garage if you have access, or allow it 10 min to warm up. so the fluid isnt so thick.

Sahara01 12-19-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogman
That's pretty normal for cold mornings. You do want to verify that you have the correct fluid in it though. I can't remember if the 2001 had the AX-5 or the NV series - each require a different fluid.

NV3550 is what is listed for 2001, 2.5L, and 5 speed.

Ok, I see two different transmissions listed on the Amsoil site. The folks I know used Amsoil MTF 5w-30 in their NV3550's with great success.

Amsoil also show's a EX NV3550 which they recommend MTG 75w-90 fluid.

I'm personally not sure of the difference in the two listings for the transmissions ?

Anybody..if not I will contact Amsoil and find out...

Sahara01 12-19-2007 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahara01
NV3550 is what is listed for 2001, 2.5L, and 5 speed.

Ok, I see two different transmissions listed on the Amsoil site. The folks I know used Amsoil MTF 5w-30 in their NV3550's with great success.

Amsoil also show's a EX NV3550 which they recommend MTG 75w-90 fluid.

I'm personally not sure of the difference in the two listings for the transmissions ?

Anybody..if not I will contact Amsoil and find out...

Ok, EX means except the NV3550. it seems they may have used a AX-5 behind the 2.5, so ya have to find out what tranny you have for sure.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/nv3550.htm
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ax5.htm

djt283 12-19-2007 10:34 PM

Mine just started shifting pretty rough also now that it's getting cold. I changed the fluid to Royal Purple a couple of days ago based on reviews on this site and it works amazingly well. I doubted it would make a difference but it shifts much smoother and is much quieter. It even eliminated the roughness I had in neutral.

CRAWLING 98 12-19-2007 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaOne
I would think that if it was something such as the alignment for the shifter, the problem wouldn't go away after 15 minutes. Just my 2 cents...

Yes but the mechanic could have not aligned the tranny, linkage, and/or transfer case which might make it difficult to shift.

It did not do it prior to replacing the clutch --did it?

The time now is 04:52 AM.