need help. Overheated, replaced parts, still overheating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need help. Overheated, replaced parts, still overheating

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
NICU
2011 WK 

need help. Overheated, replaced parts, still overheating

overheated on the highway the otherday. while driving notice the heat climb to 260 right after that within seconds trying to get over to the breakdown lane (heavy traffic) my radiator blew. pulled over turned the engine off. got tow home. put in new t-stat (thought that was the problem)new radiator flushed and filled radiator and new cap.burpped the system.

still overheats while driving and have no heat at all . oh ya change the oil too just changed it days before this happend. please help

NICU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
-ShockWave-
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Let it idle for longer in your driveway, to see if there is more air in the system, if that does not work.. disconnect the heater core hoses, try to run a garden hose through the core to check if it is blocked. If it is not blocked inspect water pump.
Unread 02-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
NICU
2011 WK 

i have heat at idle and waterpump shaft was tight
Unread 02-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
NICU
2011 WK 

bump
Unread 02-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
JealousDad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I bet a lot of people are thinking head gasket
JealousDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
NICU
2011 WK 

ya i was thinking maybe it was that but oil looked clean and coolent had no oil in either
Unread 02-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So you have heat when idling but not driving?
No heat could be air in the system or a blocked core as stated above.
Could be the fins rotted off the pump impeller.
Could be the spring is gone in the lower radiator hose allowing it to collapse while driving.
Unread 02-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
chainbrain2002
1997 TJ Wrangler 

only real thing that can blow a rad is a catastrophic head gasket leak at high speed. it caused the coolant chambers to severely over pressurize causing the tank to pop. looks like its time to do a head gasket job. oh and when you have the head off do yourself a favor and take it to a machine shop and have them magnaflux it to check for cracks.
chainbrain2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
NICU
2011 WK 

spring is good on lower hose and it still runs great. might just replace the water pump it a few years old.if its a head gasket problem and the head is cracked what should i do?
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here are some things you could check for a cracked head.
When cold open your radiator cap then start the engine. When it reaches temp and the thermo opens you might see a continuous stream of small bubbles coming out.
Check your exhaust. If it looks like a continuous white smoke(steam) it's likely you have a head gasket issue.
Compression tests can show leaking head gaskets.
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
chainbrain2002
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with that. Also after the engine gets fully warmed up with rad cap on. Go to exhaust and sniff the fumes from it. If it smells sweet other then regular same thing. If so take to shop and have them perform a cylinder leakdown test. That will show where the leakage is coming from. If this is the case. Head gasket time. If head is cracked. Replace with non 301 head.
Unread 02-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
NICU
2011 WK 

ok no bubbles when cap off and running up to temp and no white smoke coming out of exhaust
Unread 02-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #13
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainbrain2002 View Post
only real thing that can blow a rad is a catastrophic head gasket leak at high speed. it caused the coolant chambers to severely over pressurize causing the tank to pop. looks like its time to do a head gasket job. oh and when you have the head off do yourself a favor and take it to a machine shop and have them magnaflux it to check for cracks.
Not really, 260° liquid water is under tremendous pressure. It will easily split these plastic tank rads.

Are you getting coolant flow at the rad?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 03:41 AM   #14
kaiter

looks like its time to do a head gasket job. oh and when you have the head off do yourself a favor and take it to a machine shop and have them magnaflux it to check for cracks.
kaiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
NICU
2011 WK 

Just changed out the water pump and clutch fan that should do the trick because I thought the pump was good but it turned out it was no good. I just got back from south Carolina so I had no time till today to mess around with it. That's for all the help everyone

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.