need help. new jeep, shudder on takeoff?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need help. new jeep, shudder on takeoff??

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
majkowskid
2005 TJ Wrangler 

need help. new jeep, shudder on takeoff??

hello! i'm new, just bought a 2005 TJ with 8000 miles (yes, 8000)

it's pretty close to stock, except for 31" tires.
when i give it a bit of gas on takeoff, not squeeling tires, not a slug, inbetween, the truck seems to vibrate a bit at takeoff. only way i can describe it is like if you had a clutch slipping... but this is an automatic. feels like it's coming from the backend.

any ideas? is this normal? the jeep has nice bumpers and such, and i bought it from a dealership, but they didn't know what else had been done to it. i have read that people with a tru-trac locker in the rear sometimes experience this... is this true? any input??

majkowskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
AlTheKillerr

ive had the same problem for almost two years now. so far everyone that ive taken it to have not been able to figure out what it is. atleast i think its the same thing as what you are talking about. i just try to avoid that sweet spot where it makes the jeep shutter
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
ITCS_USN_RET
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is there a lift of any sort? Mine does this as well - but mine is due to having just put on a lift without doing the transfer case drop. I'll be installing the TC Drop in a few weeks.

Next | CB w/Firestick | Steering Skid | Nth Degree Quick Disconnects | -(O||||||O)-
ITCS_USN_RET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
Red_
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Does it feel like the whole Jeep is shaking, kinda bucking back and forth? If so mine does it, the cause is the tranny mount. If it gets any kind of oil on it it softens up, so under certain conditions when taking off, it'll cause the t-case to bounce up and down a bit. New mount helps till it gets oily again
Red_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

mine does the same thing but only after I lifted it. I put a teraflex 3 in lift with a transfer case drop and I assume is is the rear drive shaft vibrating. Only does it up to about 1500 rpm then no more jitters.
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Jerky bump
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Mine does this "(walking?)"/shudder kind of a thing on moderate-hard acceleration. It did it from new and I just passed it off as "A JEEP THING". 96000 km and no trouble yet
Jerky bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #7
Kiwi Jeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by majkowskid
hello! i'm new, just bought a 2005 TJ with 8000 miles (yes, 8000)

it's pretty close to stock, except for 31" tires.
when i give it a bit of gas on takeoff, not squeeling tires, not a slug, inbetween, the truck seems to vibrate a bit at takeoff. only way i can describe it is like if you had a clutch slipping... but this is an automatic. feels like it's coming from the backend.

any ideas? is this normal? the jeep has nice bumpers and such, and i bought it from a dealership, but they didn't know what else had been done to it. i have read that people with a tru-trac locker in the rear sometimes experience this... is this true? any input??
I get that too. My understanding is that its caused by the axle wrap under power, which is compounded by the lift (more pressure on the driveshaft and mounts) and higher side wall on bigger tyres (i.e. more flexing capacity in the tyre). It doesn't happen when I have a full tank of gas or some load (heavy tool box) in the back.
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
majkowskid
2005 TJ Wrangler 

wow, i can't believe that a lift would do that.

what's weird is that i'm not sure if mine is lifted. it has RCD shocks front and back, so i figured it did. can anyone tell by my pictures?

majkowskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #9
cbeas
2009 JK Wrangler 

Mine does this 1st gear shudder too. It started after I installed the lift. I have assumed that my rear pinion angle is out of whack. Anyone know how to fix it other than adjustable control arms? If that's the only way....do I need uppers & lowers or will just the uppers do the trick?
Unread 01-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
Slugger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Your pictures look like maybe a 2 inch spacer lift judging by the gap between the tires and fenders.If it was stock those 31's would take up more space.You have an X which has a D35 rear axle which are not prone to vibes,but your auto trans kinda offsets that issue.On such a new vehicle talk to a dealer about possible warranty issue on the driveline,but don't commit to any repair work until you feel comfortable with dealers explanation. Congrats on nice looking Jeep
Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
o2tj

2001 XJ Cherokee 

chek this out! when you get the jeep to temp, put the parking brake on! shift the trans into nutral, check your fluid! bet its a little low. You check the fluid this way in most jeep trans.
o2tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
klimb2xs
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Kiwi - It is not axle wrap. Axle wrap is common in a leaf spring suspension. With our coil springs and 4 control arms you will not notice axle wrap. But you wil see 1-2* of pinion movement during suspension cycling.
klimb2xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #13
AlTheKillerr

mine was doing this way before i had a lift. also my tranny mount was recently replaced and it still does this. also i had my tranny flushed not long ago and i checked the fluid level and its fine. it was more common back when i had smaller tires and no lift than it is now. but then agian i figured out when it would do it so i aviod that.
Unread 01-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #14
Kiwi Jeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimb2xs
Kiwi - It is not axle wrap. Axle wrap is common in a leaf spring suspension. With our coil springs and 4 control arms you will not notice axle wrap. But you wil see 1-2* of pinion movement during suspension cycling.
Alright then, I have taken my rear driveshaft off and its gone. So it is related to the rear section of the driveline.

PS: I am doing the sye this weekend and a new driveshaft, lets see if this problem comes back or gets resolved.
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #15
AlTheKillerr

that would be nice to know. make sure to post the results

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.