Need help! new to this! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help! new to this!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #1
ciuhatjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Need help! new to this!

Im going to be honest. I recently got my Jeep Wrangler 1998 TJ and I am looking to put on a 4 in lift and 18s XD Wheels or Fuel Offroad on 33s Duratracs. I was looking at the 4.25 Zone or the Rough Country 4 in lift kits. The problem with the lift kits is that I have to idea what else i need. For example, track bars and so on. Also, If anyone knows a good place that has good prices on these things? The jeep will be 80% on road.

Thanks

ciuhatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
408jeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would get the zone 4.25" kit if I were you. Everything you need comes with kit but you will need to drill a new hole for the front trackbar unless you buy an aftermarket one then you would not need to drill that hole.
408jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #3
nmtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do some searching on the forum about what it takes to run a 4" lift properly. For 33s you could run a 2" suspension lift and 1" body lift.

For a 4" suspension lift you may need the following, adjustable front and rear trackbar, rear tb bracket, adjustable control arms, sye kit, cv driveshaft, extended brake lines, etc...

Take a look at the MetalCloak TJ Lite 3.5 complete kit http://www.metalcloak.com/TJ-LJ-Wran...ARB-p/7160.htm. I would consider this everything you need excluding sye and cv drive shaft. Not saying you should buy the kit, but note all the different components. Mix and match brands to your liking.

You may want to reconsider 18" wheels once you see the price difference between tires for 15" and 18" wheels.
nmtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciuhatjeep View Post
Im going to be honest. I recently got my Jeep Wrangler 1998 TJ and I am looking to put on a 4 in lift and 18s XD Wheels or Fuel Offroad on 33s Duratracs. I was looking at the 4.25 Zone or the Rough Country 4 in lift kits. The problem with the lift kits is that I have to idea what else i need. For example, track bars and so on. Also, If anyone knows a good place that has good prices on these things? The jeep will be 80% on road.

Thanks
While I agree that there are a few other modifications you need to run a 4" suspension lift, that is what makes the Zone 4.25" Combo Kit so nice! It has a smaller suspension lift and includes a Motor Mount Lift so you can avoid drive line vibes. But when you combine that suspension lift with the Body Lift, you end up with enough lift to run 33's without issue. I would get an adjustable front track bar to avoid drilling the axle side bracket, but it isn't necessary.

I would choose this lift over the Rough Country for you for the above reasons.

Make sure you get proper back spacing on the rims to avoid rubbing. You'll want 3.75" or so to clear everything.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like a quote!

-Ryan
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
Dave02TJ
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciuhatjeep View Post

Thanks
You could easily spend $1,000 more trying to run 18's. No way I would do that, unless I was rich and even then, I don't think I would.

For that 1,000 dollars I'd be looking at Savvy or Metalcloak control arms to have an excellent platform to start building from.

I think I'm just saying I wouldn't put all my money into wheels and tires and then skimp on what counts. I'm not saying wheels and tires don't count, just that If I could run the 15" version of whatever and save a grand, thats what I'd do.
Dave02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.