Need help with my TJ when trying to 4wd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help with my TJ when trying to 4wd

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
2000TJWithPlow
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Need help with my TJ when trying to 4wd

when i try to go from 2h to 4h it keeps slipping and makes a horrible sound. Anyone else have this problem and howd you fix it?

2000TJWithPlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Fingers302
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Do you have a body lift? You may need to re-adjust your linkage under the tub. Or buy a Novak and just replace it.

"You can have things, or you can have kids, but you cant have kids and things because they will rat your sh*t!"

06 LJ Rubicon, OME HD springs, 2" spacers front, 1.5" spacer rear, Bilstein 5100s, Currie Anti-Rock on front, Currie control arms, 315/75 Coopers, UFC Ultra Clearance TT and Engine skids, in aluminum of course ;), bumpers and winch....Oh, and a pool ball shifter. That's good for at least 5 more hp....at the crank at least.

Support your local chapter of the Nam Knights Motorcycle Club

[QUOTE=sanmy1412;14062467]
I got home late last night and was just playing with it a bit .... took it out and it was noticeably stiffer ... my hand actually got tired from the effort[/QUOTE]
Fingers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
2000TJWithPlow
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers302 View Post
Do you have a body lift? You may need to re-adjust your linkage under the tub. Or buy a Novak and just replace it.
yeah i have a body lift and the linkage is kinda messed up also so if we fixed one itll fix the other?
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
roosr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

There is a set-screw on the transfer case side of the linkage. Place the linkage in 4LO after loosening that bolt. Make sure the transfer case is in 4LO. Then tighten the nut. That SHOULD get your issue resolved. Had a similar issue when putting on a transfer case drop kit. You MAY need to get a bracket that lowers the ball-joint style connection for the linkage mount that is on the driverside of the transmission well. You'll see what I'm talking about when you are under the jeep. but you might be able to get away with just an adjustment.
roosr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
2000TJWithPlow
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosr View Post
There is a set-screw on the transfer case side of the linkage. Place the linkage in 4LO after loosening that bolt. Make sure the transfer case is in 4LO. Then tighten the nut. That SHOULD get your issue resolved. Had a similar issue when putting on a transfer case drop kit. You MAY need to get a bracket that lowers the ball-joint style connection for the linkage mount that is on the driverside of the transmission well. You'll see what I'm talking about when you are under the jeep. but you might be able to get away with just an adjustment.
thanks a lot i will try that and hope it works

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.