Need help, jeep misfiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help, jeep misfiring

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
cyrdg3
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Need help, jeep misfiring

I have a 99 TJ with a 2.5. I have recently put in a 4.0 Throttle body, a new muffler, high out put coil with Splitfire wires and E3 plugs gapped at .045(thats what the coil instructions said I should gap them at). I have 31 in Xterrains and stock gearing. I have nooooooooo power, and now my jeep is misfiring. I checked the distributer and was unable to locate any cracks and it looks relatively new. The things I think it might be are A). the plug wires don't actually have boots like the stock ones, they just sit on top of the prongs coming out of the distributer???? B) catalytic converter, but it seems more like an electrical problem. Also, I can hear an arcing sound when I listen with the hood open. I need some serious help. I am running out of patience and money, and not exactly enjoying my new jeep like I want to be. Also....I can't get the error codes from my jeep using any of the turn key on-off three times methods, or the hold down the odometer for five seconds and then turn on the key. So the next thing is to go someplace and get it tested, does VIP or Advance auto do that? Thanks for you help.

cyrdg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
cyrdg3
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just to note, I was looking at my order from Qtech and found out that I have wires for a 2.5 XJ not a TJ. What would be the negative affects of this, if any?
Unread 05-23-2006, 11:16 PM   #3
amiller
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Me personally, i would go back to the stock specifications and check your firing order. Also...I would get rid of anything that had the SPLITFIRE name on it. I've never heard of anything running better on splitfires. ( wires, plugs...you name it)

do you see any sparks jumping to the block from your wires? I've seen sparks burn through the spark plug boot and fire off to the block. Have you checked all connections? Firing order?
amiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2006, 04:14 AM   #4
firemanwh

If it helps - Autozone will read codes for free. Best of luck to a speedy fix.
firemanwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
thesherm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiller
Me personally, i would go back to the stock specifications and check your firing order. Also...I would get rid of anything that had the SPLITFIRE name on it. I've never heard of anything running better on splitfires. ( wires, plugs...you name it)

do you see any sparks jumping to the block from your wires? I've seen sparks burn through the spark plug boot and fire off to the block. Have you checked all connections? Firing order?
x2 firing order
Unfortunately you are one of those poor misguided folks that believes leaving the gear shift lever in one slot or another is an indication of control.

Come go for a ride and I'll be glad to demonstrate the difference between what you perceive incorrectly as "control" and what control actually is.

Pick a different reason because that one is both lame and stupid to perpetuate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Pardon me for damaging your precious reputation. It's not that I disagree, that would be a difference of opinion. This isn't subjective, it's objective, you are just wrong. If you make that statement, you are misguided. It is that simple.
thesherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2006, 10:20 AM   #6
cyrdg3
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So, I checked my spark plugs, and one looked like this
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2106015726

So I went and bought champion plugs and standard wires. I installed them and still heard some arcing so I removed the aftermarket coil also. Now it runs great. I can actually do 75 now. I wish I had read this forum before I dropped the money on that aftermarket crap. Now lets see if Qtec gives me my money back(probably not)

Thanks
Unread 05-27-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not to rain on your parade, but if you spark plug comes out looking lke that, and it was new when you put it in, you've got some serious issues. But if its straightened out now, then just chalk that down to lessons learned.

I'd just leave it alone now. Most of that aftermarket crap is marketing hype - they just slap some pretty colors on there, give it a fancy box and charge 2x the price....a 2.5L is 2.5L and it'll always be that way.
bryris is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.