Need help. Have shuddering when accelerating or under load. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help. Have shuddering when accelerating or under load.

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
KMacDiddy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Need help. Have shuddering when accelerating or under load.

First, some details about my TJ. It's a '05 Rubicon 6spd. I have about 53K miles on it (bought it used at 40K). I had a 3" lift, adj trackbar and 33's installed about 9mos ago.

About a week ago, the Jeep started "shuttering" while accelerating. This generally occurs at around 2,000-2500rpm. It happens in all gears although more prominently in 1 thru 4. And only when I'm trying to accelerate. It increases proportionately with the load on the engine.

The stuttering goes away with the clutch fully depressed or if I'm in neutral and coasting.

Right around the time the stuttering started I started hearing something "rattling" for lack of better words that seemed to be coming from the front end - like something was loose.

I've done some searching and have read things from changing the transmission fluid to problems with the U-joints (don't know what these are or what they do), to issues with the clutch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Love this forum.

KMacDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The clutch only causes it when you slipping it... starting from a stop. Once fully engaged... the clutch will have no affect. Pinion angle and u joints cause this... but I have also read some replacing the tranny mount and fixing their problem.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You may have any of a host of issues, is the Check Engine Light lit (CEL)?

If I had that issue, I would start with cleaning the throttle body, checking the condition of spark plugs, for lack of better terms basically a "tune up".

The rattling could be loose bolts somewhere, U-joints, etc. U-joints are the parts of the driveshaft that bend. They're shaped like a +.

Personally, I would look for a local Jeep club and go to a coffee night or similar event. They can at least point you in the right direction to get fixed up.
hustler905 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
KMacDiddy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905 View Post
You may have any of a host of issues, is the Check Engine Light lit (CEL)?

If I had that issue, I would start with cleaning the throttle body, checking the condition of spark plugs, for lack of better terms basically a "tune up".
No, the check engine light is not on.

I'll add to my orig post that the stutter/shaking is pretty violent. It shakes the whole dash. It feels like the stutter you get when a clutch is bad, but I honestly don't think it's that based on past experience with faultering clutches.
Unread 09-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So just to clarify:

Does the engine stutter/shake, or is it something in the driveline? Ie... when this happens is the engine running rough which is causing everything to shake, or does the engine run fine and it seems to be something else making the shaking?
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Shakes the whole dash... wow. Maybe even missing teeth on your ring gear.
Yea... you have a long list of possibilities.
How about in 4 HI? You can kick it in at a stop light just kick it out before turning into McDonnald's...

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
Unread 09-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Had this happen a while back. RMS was leaking down on the clutch and the clutch was slipping.

And it doesnt take a whole lot to shake the whole dash, plastic clips and all.
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
KMacDiddy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
Shakes the whole dash... wow. Maybe even missing teeth on your ring gear.
Yea... you have a long list of possibilities.
How about in 4 HI? You can kick it in at a stop light just kick it out before turning into McDonnald's...
I have not tried 4WD. If it went away in 4 HI (or didn't), what would that tell me?

And, maybe "violent" was a bit of an exaggeration. I just hate it because it was running great a week ago.
Unread 09-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you have a rear drivetrain problem... DS, u-joint, even ring and pinion... 4 HI would use the front to drive and any spot the rear would not apply force then reapply it ( pulse ) the front would continue to pull smoothly and you'd feel no vibes. Just a simple but not definite way to determine if the problem is after the TC or before...

Unread 09-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
tycal
1999 WJ 

probably a bad u-joint

sounds like a bad u-joint on the rear drive shaft. these are $12 parts at autozone, etc...

You can quickly diagnose it yourself by grabbing an 8mm wrench and remove the 4 small bolts holding the driveshaft to the axle. Tap the drive shaft forward with a hammer(gently)..it will move forward inside that rubber boot allowing you to move the driveshaft over to one side and pull it off. this is a 3 minute job, 10 min's if you've never done it before. that's it... put it in 4-Hi and take a drive.

If the shaking is gone, that was a 10 minute diagnosis. there are a hundred threads on replacing those joints with common tools. even if you have a shop replace them, you saved yourself some $$ on the diagnosis.

If you still have shaking, you've ruled out a common issue, learned how to remove/install a rear ds and started the "process of elimination" game i call, owning a jeep. good luck.
Unread 09-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #11
KMacDiddy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycal View Post
sounds like a bad u-joint on the rear drive shaft. these are $12 parts at autozone, etc...

You can quickly diagnose it yourself by grabbing an 8mm wrench and remove the 4 small bolts holding the driveshaft to the axle. Tap the drive shaft forward with a hammer(gently)..it will move forward inside that rubber boot allowing you to move the driveshaft over to one side and pull it off. this is a 3 minute job, 10 min's if you've never done it before. that's it... put it in 4-Hi and take a drive.

If the shaking is gone, that was a 10 minute diagnosis. there are a hundred threads on replacing those joints with common tools. even if you have a shop replace them, you saved yourself some $$ on the diagnosis.

If you still have shaking, you've ruled out a common issue, learned how to remove/install a rear ds and started the "process of elimination" game i call, owning a jeep. good luck.
This is great info, I really appreciate it.
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
KMacDiddy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

U-joint replacement

So, after some searching I'm left uncertain as to where I can buy a replacement u-joint for my '05 rubicon. According to Jerry Bransford, the u-joint in the rubicon is unique (combo of 1310 & 1330).

Another thread mentioned checking Autozone/Pep Boys and having them look up the u-joint for a 1978 Ford F250 Ranger XLT Camper Special. Does this work?

How much would a shop charge to replace the u-joints? I'm not mechanically retarded, it just usually takes me much longer to do this type of stuff and I'm afraid I'll get 1/2 way into it and get stuck with another problem and I don't have that kind of time this weekend.

Is the fact that mine is wearing out related to the lift I had installed? Will my lift and the increase in driveshaft angle continue to wear out the u-joint?

BTW, I haven't tried tycal's diagnosis yet (above), but I did drive my jeep in 4hi and the vibration was definitely subdued, but not gone altogether.
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:58 AM   #13
DerekM
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I shop should charge you less than $50 to change it out. U-joints will always wear out, it's part of regular maintenance. Having a lift does make them wear out faster.

Try doing it yourself first, then take it to a shop if you get stuck.
()_)-()_)-o-)_)
DerekM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 07:12 AM   #14
KMacDiddy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Fixed. It was the rear DS u-joint

First, I just want to thank everyone on here for their help in diagnosing the problem. (plus all the past threads on this issue)

The rear trunnion (sp?) was shot to sh*t. The needle bearing were ground to a fine dust in two of the caps. I replaced both the front and back trunnions while I had the rear DS off. The jeep runs like new (to me) again.

One note though (for anyone reading this in the future): the caps on my trunnions did not have inside or outside clips on them. They had injected plastic via two small ports that served as the clips. Basically had to heat the end caps and melt them out with a blow torch. The back trunnion only had two caps like that. The front had four.

Other than that, pretty straight forward. Thanks again.
Unread 10-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #15
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Trunnion = U joint?
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.