Need Help! Front End Rumble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Help! Front End Rumble

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 07-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
LarryT63
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Need Help! Front End Rumble

Hi, I'm new so please be gentle. I've own the jeep for about 2 months now and I'm loving it! Now for the the problem which seems like the start of a bad joke, but...

So I let my wife borrow my jeep to go over to her friend's 1 mile away...

(She says it started after making the last right turn on her friend's street)

Now....

Really bad front end shaking, not sure how describe it, but it feels like the whole front end is about to come off the jeep when driving 5-10 mph, seemed to settle a bit above that, but I didn't push it faster in the mile drive home. The front tires look fine, the alignment is fine (had a few previous issues with the front stabilizer bar not being tightened enough. I'm just trying to get a few ideas on what might be wrong before I take it to a shop.

Here's my list of mods, I bought my Jeep this way:

6` Fab Tech Suspension Lift,Sahara Edition,Complete Soft Top/Hard Top,Off road tires/15` deep dish wheels.Lots of extras,off road pkg,a Rare Find. ek motorsport Jeep Wrangler Sport Handles Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Long Arm System Rubicon Long Arms with Super-Flex spherical ball joints Replacement lift springs Rubicon express Shocks Extended bump stops Rubicon Longer front stainless steel brake lines mickeythompson tires wheels with bead lock wheels Classic II Track bar Drop Pitman Arm cross member Heavy duty tire carrier with tire mount and lug nuts Classic Rock Crawler Rear Bumper Rock Sliders Hi-Lift Jack HL484

I thank you in advance for any and all thoughts!

Larry

Last edited by LarryT63; 07-13-2010 at 11:52 AM..
LarryT63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to JF! Sounds like the infamous "Death Wobble"! First check the tightness of front trackbar at axle side.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

NOt at 5-10 mph it doesn't.

She didn't put it in 4wd did she?

Sounds more like loose lug nuts or a blown unit bearing. Perhaps a blown (totall) front Ujoint.

Larry - I'd start by putting the front axle on jack stands and spinning the tires, grabbing/shaking things, inspect everything.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
LarryT63
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nope she didn't put it in 4x4.

More details, my friend came over and added these notes:

There is a loud "bang" sound when you step on the accelerator not really stepping on it, just a normal start, but the harder you punch it, the louder the bang sound (I limped it home). It happens in both drive and second gear, not in reverse. Then the whole Jeep vibrates, so it wasn't just the front end.

His guess is it's the rear transfer case since it would still be in 2 wheel drive since 4x4 isn't engaged. He checked out the front suspension, everything is at least hand tight, nothing loose that he can shake. I know that when I had the Jeep checked out by my mechanic when I bought it, he said he couldn't align the rear right wheel, because the axle was "probably bent slightly" (so he said, "don't worry about it right now, just enjoy it") I haven't even had the chance to go off roading with it yet! I'm wondering if the trip from California moving out here and the total of about 1000 miles total I've put on the Jeep since I've owned it has caused that possible issue to make something go awry?

Now I have three questions for you guys

1. Does anything now conclude what it may be to you guys/gals?

2. How much could I be looking at in repairs?

3. Anyone know a reputable mechanic near Queen Creek, AZ to work on it?

thanks again!

Larry

P.S. I'm sorry I'm not mechanically more savy I haven't worked on a car since high school, and don't even own a good set of tools.
Unread 07-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
LarryT63
2004 TJ Wrangler 

anybody?
Unread 07-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Check your rear drive shaft for excessive rotational play and check your rear u joints. Should only be around 1/4 of a turn of play in the drive shaft.
alex_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #7
LarryT63
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Going to take it in on payday, I'm pretty sure it's the rear u-joint....

thank you all for your insight!

Larry
Unread 07-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #8
zu903
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i have the same issue but it happens when i hit a bump on the highway going about 70mph any ideas on how to fix it
zu903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 12:21 AM   #9
EODjeeper
2005 TJ Wrangler 

don't hit the bump. haha
EODjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tj , wrangler , dw , death , wobble , shake , steering , suspension

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.