Need help fast. Gauges dead. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help fast. Gauges dead.

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 01-11-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
BABrax
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Need help fast. Gauges dead.

I have a 99 TJ and have always had the problem with the gauges dropping in and out while driving, and i got around to cleaning the clusters about 3 weeks ago. seemed to have fixed the problem until yesterday i Went out to drive it and the gauges are all dead. None of them work. the Mph, RPM, Fuel, Oil, Battery, Temp, and Tach all are flatlined and won't work. All the lights behind the gauges work and the seatbelt light is on but none of the gauges work.

Things i have tried to fix it
Removed the cluster and clean it
check a few random grounds
checked every fuse, none of them were blown. (If there are specific ones i should recheck let me know i could have missed one.)

Please help, need it fixed by today or early tomorrow, have to drive it fort a few hours and with the MPG i don't want to run out of gas. Thank you!

BABrax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem, it was a bad wire somewhere in the dash, causing it to short out. ( I did the same, cleaned the conenctors, jiggled the wires, checked as much of the wiring as i could and couldn't find the problem) None of the gauges worked, speed, fuel, oil pressure, nothing except the odometer. I Had to bring it to a shop.

Carry a full jerry can with you untill you can get it to a shop that specializes in electronics
fang_x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
BABrax
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fang_x View Post
I had the same problem, it was a bad wire somewhere in the dash, causing it to short out. ( I did the same, cleaned the conenctors, jiggled the wires, checked as much of the wiring as i could and couldn't find the problem) None of the gauges worked, speed, fuel, oil pressure, nothing except the odometer. I Had to bring it to a shop.

Carry a full jerry can with you untill you can get it to a shop that specializes in electronics
Thank you for the speedy response, that is looking more and more like what i am going to have to do.. Hopefully someone out there has a quick fix
Unread 01-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
Pat-54

Same thing happens to me. I just slap the dash twice and it comes back on. There is a connector as you know in the bottom right part of the dash, give that a push. Try putting dielectric grease on the connections. But finding the bugs in electrical is gonna be a PITA
Pat-54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #5
BABrax
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-54 View Post
Same thing happens to me. I just slap the dash twice and it comes back on. There is a connector as you know in the bottom right part of the dash, give that a push. Try putting dielectric grease on the connections. But finding the bugs in electrical is gonna be a PITA
Yeah i mean its always had the problem where they all drop out while driving and i just slap it a few times and they come back alive but now they won't come alive at all. Thanks for the advice
Unread 01-12-2014, 12:52 AM   #6
Jeeper5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

There is a technical bulletin on this issue. My local dealer took care of this for me. Think it involves cutting and splicing together a new connection. But dealer fixed this technical bulletin for me on it and never had problem since. At my cost of course.
Unread 01-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
Pat-54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper5
There is a technical bulletin on this issue. My local dealer took care of this for me. Think it involves cutting and splicing together a new connection. But dealer fixed this technical bulletin for me on it and never had problem since. At my cost of course.
Where would this connection be that you'd have to reconnect?
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
Jeeper5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry. There is a technical service bulletin but I don't have specifics on it. My dealer knew about it and corrected it, that's all I know. Has something to do with the connectors on the back of the gauges. More would periodically go out while I was driving into it was fixed. Sorry I don't have specifics, maybe someone on here knows more?
Unread 01-13-2014, 12:17 AM   #9
BABrax
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper5 View Post
Sorry. There is a technical service bulletin but I don't have specifics on it. My dealer knew about it and corrected it, that's all I know. Has something to do with the connectors on the back of the gauges. More would periodically go out while I was driving into it was fixed. Sorry I don't have specifics, maybe someone on here knows more?
Hopefully! at the moment I'm driving with a speedometer on my phone and filling up like every other day!
Unread 01-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
Pat-54

Even if you don't have gauges going your odometer should still work (unlike mine when the cluster goes out). Just set it on trip mode and watch it. I can get like 4-5 days on a tank depending on how much I drive. But even so, the chime for low gas should ring when the cluster is out
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #11
tomsrancho
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My '99 doesn't chime. A smartphone GPS is a good substitute for a dash odometer, then get an OBDII reader, and you almost don't need gauges.
tomsrancho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:35 AM   #12
bigman7878
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mine went out and it ended up being the "iod" fuse under the hood. Maybe check that for a good connection.
bigman7878 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
BABrax
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-54 View Post
Even if you don't have gauges going your odometer should still work (unlike mine when the cluster goes out). Just set it on trip mode and watch it. I can get like 4-5 days on a tank depending on how much I drive. But even so, the chime for low gas should ring when the cluster is out
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsrancho View Post
My '99 doesn't chime. A smartphone GPS is a good substitute for a dash odometer, then get an OBDII reader, and you almost don't need gauges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman7878 View Post
Mine went out and it ended up being the "iod" fuse under the hood. Maybe check that for a good connection.
My odometer doesn't work on trip or just regularly, so that's doesn't work.

My 99 does chime when it runs out of gas though.

And do you know what fuse # it is?
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #14
bigman7878
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Its labeled iod just a small 10 amp fuse I believe. I can check when I'm home.
bigman7878 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #15
BABrax
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman7878 View Post
Its labeled iod just a small 10 amp fuse I believe. I can check when I'm home.
Alright, thank you!

Tags
dead , gauges , help please , technical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.