Need help with Derale auxillary transmission cooler fitting size. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need help with Derale auxillary transmission cooler fitting size.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo

Unread 09-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Punisher8738
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Need help with Derale auxillary transmission cooler fitting size.

So today I finally had time to install the Derale auxillary trans cooler.

As I'm prepping it for install after doing a transmission pan dump and filter change I learn that Derale screwed up and sent me the wrong fitting size.

The 2 fittings that screw into the cooler portion are supposed to be 6AN o-ring bosses. They thread into the cooler just fine but the AN portion is too large for the included line fittings and inline switch housing.

Anyone here familiar with the fittings and know the correct size?

There are a couple performance shops around here and I'm hoping if I can get the correct size I can continue with the install.

Just a tad bitt annoyed with the lack of QC.

Here's a pic of the one of the fittings they included.

The fitting on the left in the pic is what I need. The transmission line threads correctly onto the switch housing on the right and the far left threads are correct to screw into the cooler. It's the middle threaded portion that's too big.

fitting.jpg  
Punisher8738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher8738 View Post
So today I finally had time to install the Derale auxillary trans cooler.

As I'm prepping it for install after doing a transmission pan dump and filter change I learn that Derale screwed up and sent me the wrong fitting size.

The 2 fittings that screw into the cooler portion are supposed to be 6AN o-ring bosses. They thread into the cooler just fine but the AN portion is too large for the included line fittings and inline switch housing.

Anyone here familiar with the fittings and know the correct size?

There are a couple performance shops around here and I'm hoping if I can get the correct size I can continue with the install.

Just a tad bitt annoyed with the lack of QC.

Here's a pic of the one of the fittings they included.

The fitting on the left in the pic is what I need. The transmission line threads correctly onto the switch housing on the right and the far left threads are correct to screw into the cooler. It's the middle threaded portion that's too big.
You need -6 male flare on the end of the cooler fitting. The o-ring boss size is correct if it screws into the cooler.

If you have speed shops around, take both fittings with you and tell them you need the correct size o-ring boss on one end and the -6 male on the other.

Also, I doubt their QC is messed up, possible but not likely. They have a lot of part numbers and the only difference between some of them is both will have the exact same coolers and fans only one will have -8 male flares and the other will have -6 male flares.
Unread 09-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Dan69
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like they sent you the -8 AN instead of the -6 AN. Should be an easy switch for the right part, but I'm sure it's annoying when you are ready to do the install.
Dan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
Punisher8738
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yes it is along With me leaving 3 voicemails for a ”Mike” only to never receive a return call further pi$$es me off. So yes I will say they not only lack in QC but also customer service.
Unread 10-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes it is along With me leaving 3 voicemails for a ”Mike” only to never receive a return call further pi$$es me off. So yes I will say they not only lack in QC but also customer service.
What is the part number on the kit you installed?
Unread 10-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
Punisher8738
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Its 20561 direct fit for wrangler.
Unread 01-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
gumby_144
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I know this is a little late but recently installing the same kit on my jeep I ran into the same problem but after a couple attempts I got ahold of mike and they shipped the correct fittings and it went good after that
gumby_144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
Punisher8738
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Same here.. only other issue I had was the thermostat switch wasn't working on my kit so I just bypassed it and wired it to a toggle. No biggie, may one day buy another thermostat but no rush.

Did you happen to order yours thru Amazon? I ended up buying the correct fittings thru Summit because I couldn't afford the wait. Eventually I got a return call and the correct part. So now I have a couple spares.
Unread 01-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
gumby_144
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Same here.. only other issue I had was the thermostat switch wasn't working on my kit so I just bypassed it and wired it to a toggle. No biggie, may one day buy another thermostat but no rush.

Did you happen to order yours thru Amazon? I ended up buying the correct fittings thru Summit because I couldn't afford the wait. Eventually I got a return call and the correct part. So now I have a couple spares.
yeah i ordered mine through amazon arround christmas and had to wait on the parts till after the first of the year. but it was snowing here and I drive a company truck so had time to wait. I am going to finnish running lines and wires today and hopefully get it in for a tranny flush soon
gumby_144 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.