Need help with Derale auxillary transmission cooler fitting size. - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-28-2012, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Punisher8738
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Grand Prairie
Posts: 452
Need help with Derale auxillary transmission cooler fitting size.

So today I finally had time to install the Derale auxillary trans cooler.

As I'm prepping it for install after doing a transmission pan dump and filter change I learn that Derale screwed up and sent me the wrong fitting size.

The 2 fittings that screw into the cooler portion are supposed to be 6AN o-ring bosses. They thread into the cooler just fine but the AN portion is too large for the included line fittings and inline switch housing.

Anyone here familiar with the fittings and know the correct size?

There are a couple performance shops around here and I'm hoping if I can get the correct size I can continue with the install.

Just a tad bitt annoyed with the lack of QC.

Here's a pic of the one of the fittings they included.

The fitting on the left in the pic is what I need. The transmission line threads correctly onto the switch housing on the right and the far left threads are correct to screw into the cooler. It's the middle threaded portion that's too big.

Attached Thumbnails
fitting.jpg  
Punisher8738 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 09-29-2012, 06:11 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 30,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher8738 View Post
So today I finally had time to install the Derale auxillary trans cooler.

As I'm prepping it for install after doing a transmission pan dump and filter change I learn that Derale screwed up and sent me the wrong fitting size.

The 2 fittings that screw into the cooler portion are supposed to be 6AN o-ring bosses. They thread into the cooler just fine but the AN portion is too large for the included line fittings and inline switch housing.

Anyone here familiar with the fittings and know the correct size?

There are a couple performance shops around here and I'm hoping if I can get the correct size I can continue with the install.

Just a tad bitt annoyed with the lack of QC.

Here's a pic of the one of the fittings they included.

The fitting on the left in the pic is what I need. The transmission line threads correctly onto the switch housing on the right and the far left threads are correct to screw into the cooler. It's the middle threaded portion that's too big.
You need -6 male flare on the end of the cooler fitting. The o-ring boss size is correct if it screws into the cooler.

If you have speed shops around, take both fittings with you and tell them you need the correct size o-ring boss on one end and the -6 male on the other.

Also, I doubt their QC is messed up, possible but not likely. They have a lot of part numbers and the only difference between some of them is both will have the exact same coolers and fans only one will have -8 male flares and the other will have -6 male flares.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is online now  
post #3 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Dan69
Member
 
Dan69's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Powder Springs
Posts: 219
Looks like they sent you the -8 AN instead of the -6 AN. Should be an easy switch for the right part, but I'm sure it's annoying when you are ready to do the install.
Dan69 is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Punisher8738
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Grand Prairie
Posts: 452
Yes it is along With me leaving 3 voicemails for a ”Mike” only to never receive a return call further pi$$es me off. So yes I will say they not only lack in QC but also customer service.
Punisher8738 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 04:37 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 30,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher8738 View Post
Yes it is along With me leaving 3 voicemails for a ”Mike” only to never receive a return call further pi$$es me off. So yes I will say they not only lack in QC but also customer service.
What is the part number on the kit you installed?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is online now  
post #6 of 9 Old 10-01-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Punisher8738
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Grand Prairie
Posts: 452
Its 20561 direct fit for wrangler.
Punisher8738 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 01-12-2013, 07:23 PM
gumby_144
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: hamilton
Posts: 327
I know this is a little late but recently installing the same kit on my jeep I ran into the same problem but after a couple attempts I got ahold of mike and they shipped the correct fittings and it went good after that
gumby_144 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Punisher8738
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Grand Prairie
Posts: 452
Same here.. only other issue I had was the thermostat switch wasn't working on my kit so I just bypassed it and wired it to a toggle. No biggie, may one day buy another thermostat but no rush.

Did you happen to order yours thru Amazon? I ended up buying the correct fittings thru Summit because I couldn't afford the wait. Eventually I got a return call and the correct part. So now I have a couple spares.
Punisher8738 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 AM
gumby_144
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: hamilton
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher8738 View Post
Same here.. only other issue I had was the thermostat switch wasn't working on my kit so I just bypassed it and wired it to a toggle. No biggie, may one day buy another thermostat but no rush.

Did you happen to order yours thru Amazon? I ended up buying the correct fittings thru Summit because I couldn't afford the wait. Eventually I got a return call and the correct part. So now I have a couple spares.
yeah i ordered mine through amazon arround christmas and had to wait on the parts till after the first of the year. but it was snowing here and I drive a company truck so had time to wait. I am going to finnish running lines and wires today and hopefully get it in for a tranny flush soon
gumby_144 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Keep your automatic transmission alive, review/installation of Derale's tranny cooler Jerry Bransford TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 503 Today 01:43 PM
Derale direct fit transmission cooler problem thriller954 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 12 08-17-2012 07:54 AM
Keep your automatic transmission alive, review/installation of Derale's tranny cooler Jerry Bransford YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 6 09-03-2011 03:17 PM
what size fitting for trans cooler lines emahan01 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 7 01-06-2010 09:41 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome