Need Help With Death Wobbles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Need Help With Death Wobbles

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
TrevorJordan
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Need Help With Death Wobbles

I have a '06 TJ and everytime I hit a bump in the road it rattles almost out of control. This is not however the first time I've had this problem with my Jeep. 2 years ago I had this same problem (only worse) since it was still under warrenty I took it in and after 3 visits it was taken care of, but not for good. I jsut got my tires ballanced and rotated, and that eliminated half the shaking, I need some suggestions on how to take care of the rest of it.

TrevorJordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
tulman22
2005 TJ Wrangler 

is your jeep lifted?
tulman22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
xantasm
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Had the same problem in my mother's 06 TJ X and tried taking it to the dealer numerous times only to have them replace the steering stabilizer twice cause they are not interested in actually admitting Jeep Wrangler front ends are prone to DW. I replaced the track bar with an adjustable Teraflex one, got a skyjacker steering stabilizer, and took it to an alignment shop so they could set it with their laser alignment machine. Havent had a problem like that since. I did all the repairs and work on my mothers cause she was dealing with chemotherapy so I was driving it around alot and experienced the DW for myself and it was very bad considering it was a less than two years old Jeep at the time. I even took it to the dealership with her and got into a royal argument with them because after two OEM steering stabilizer replacements by the dealer, they tried to say it was it was the roads in Tucson where we lived and that the tires were out of balance and that she needed of all things a new steering stablizer (x3) put in by them for the second time. Since I thought they were full of it but wanted to make sure I took it to the alignment shop, they checked the balance of the wheels and tires, checked for any noticable slack in the control arms or steering system and being only two years old they couldnt find anything wrong with it after I put the adj track bar and skyjacker steering stabilizer in it. On a different note I did have a 6" lifted 98 XJ in the family that we discovered the DW was coming from a combination of bad control arm bushings, a cheap adjustable trackbar, and wheel bearing hubs, although I cant say if one caused the rest or not. I hope you get some good help with, I know how frustrating it can be and is a very big disapointment from a newer vehicle. Im sure you'll get some others posting here that might have better or other ideas on how to look for the problem and track down whats causing it. Just passing on what worked for me.
Unread 06-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
TrevorJordan
2006 TJ Wrangler 

No it's not Lifted
Unread 06-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
TrevorJordan
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advise xantasm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.