need help bad. might have to sell jeep :help: - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need help bad. might have to sell jeep :help:

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #61
SurfnSnow
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamwells8 View Post
as you can tell that my second response was not serious with the dancing carrots and pickles. it is a manual 99 sport tj. the last tune up was about a month ago. i drive the around the speed limit everywhere i go so i dont roll, i use 87 fule. BC jeep, the last joking message was not at you
And now we've reached the back-peddling part of the thread, where the OP posts that he was kidding, hopefully we can just fast forward to the point where he gets more butt-hurt and just eventually leaves.

SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #62
cerebrus
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPyle585 View Post
From one BAMA fan to another (graduated from UA in 07): If you're going to get on here and be a d!ck to everyone even though you're the one that started the thread by giving bad information, please leave anything related to Tuscaloosa or BAMA (the Roll Tide comment) out of posts. you're embarrassing the rest of us. maybe you should have gone to Auburn instead...
Don't be assing up Auburn with this guy. Send him to Tennessee.
cerebrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #63
BC Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

When you drive your Jeep, the Electronic Control Module (ECU) has TWO modes that it operates in. Open Loop and Closed loop. The Jeep starts up in OPEN LOOP and does NOT use the O2 sensor data when its cold and stays there until it warms up. For most cars, thats around 160 Deg. It also goes into open loop when you mash the accelerator pedal more than a specific percent. I think its 65% and or if the MAP signal goes very low (under high Load conditions). When your in open loop/ power enrichment mode, fuel efficiency is not at its best.

Once the engine is at operating temp and your at the proper part throttle, you use the O2 sensor data to control the AIR FUEL RATIO. The PCM uses the O2 sensor data to try to maintain an AFR of 14.7:1 Thats where the best fuel efficiency takes place.

Long Story short,, Try to keep your foot out of the throttle, take off slow and steady and try to minimize high load conditions (high speeds, heavy loads and high wind conditions)

Takes some accurate MPG calculations and see what you actually getting for fuel mileage.

If you want to scrimp on fuel, start coasting down hills, anticipating when traffic slows down and remove you foot from the accelerator so you don't have to use the brakes as much. Stat off slow and easy and stay out of open loop/power enrichment as much as possible.

Bill
BC Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #64
wtbb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K View Post
William... is that you?

LOL

Seriously you're going to defend this guy???

BTW running premium is a COMPLETE waste of money. I can give you a long 3 page read on why but in short, there is no extra POWER to be had in premium, it just means that it can handle a little more pressure prior to igniting which in a performance car can matter but in a very very basic motor like this .... no way in hell. You've been wasting your money so just start using 87. Some motors may ping due to well... horrible design imo but in that case you could mix 89/87 half half and be fine or just let it ping a little even.

So, save some money run 87 or 89 if the voices won't leave you alone.
LULZ, no I am not this William person. I was defending the part where he comes across obviously young and not sure on what he is doing. No big deal.
As for using premium, I never thought it gave me more power. It's a 4 cyl, there is no power...LOL. I use the premium because in my mind I might as well when Im going up on trails and beatin' the crap out of my motor. Im in no hurry to replace the motor yet but all the miles I have put on this Jeep have really been hard miles, alot of trails and mudding.
I don't mind wasting the money, the voices in my head leave me alone when I listen.
Im very interested in learning more from this forum about different topics to do with my own Wrangler. Im the only female in my circle of friends who wheel and don't like to appear as tho I know nothing. Im here to learn, not argue.
wtbb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #65
BC Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I own a couple high HP C5 & C6 corvettes. I once tried to defend the use of Higher Octane fuel in those cars when someone stated that they tried 87 Octane and didn't have an issue.
I was confronted by someone that had a SIGNIFICANT EDUCTION in chemistry and engineering and who did in depth studies in fuel for high horse power engines.

Come to find out, higher octane fueling for high compassion engines is not as critical in colder climates. Once the temp falls below a specific temp vs compression ratio, you can burn fuel with a octane rating MUCH lower than the rate recommended by the manufacture or what is required in higher temp condition.

I ran 87 octane in my 450 HP 2002 ZO6 Corvette when the outside temps were 33 Deg and guess what??? Using ECU monitoring software Its called a PCM "Power Train Control Module" in the C5 Platform) , I had ZERO Knock Retard even under high loads and near full throttle. NOTE! Full throttle in cold weather results in close to no traction so, engine loading is not at the maximum.

DO NOT try this when the outside temps are above 45- 50 deg in a performance engine. I would also not do this if I was tracking the car for maximum effort using drag radials.

So, our Jeeps in cold weather would be fine using any low octane fuel in colder climates regardless what we do to them or with them. Don't waste your cash on hight octane fuel in colder weather. Save your cash for other more important wheeling things.

BC
BC Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #66
wtbb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think my mentality for the premium usage comes from owning my big mudder. A 1978 Step-side with a built big block. My husband had me only using premium and then race fuel when I did the drag races.

Im going to use your guy's advice and try to memorize BC's post to mess with my husband about my 'supposed' knowledge on the subject....hahahaa.
wtbb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #67
MidnightRider
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
You got 190 miles out of half a tank and you think something is wrong? Most jeep owners would kill for that mileage. Do a search for mileage threads and you'll find people getting 190 out of a full tank.
i am one of those people but its a jeep. i know people who would love to be driving one be glad ya got it
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #68
chrisjsmith4
2012 JK Wrangler 

Will,

Obviously you are a little young, no need to get upset taking a little heat. It fuels the fire. CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM .. Sounds like your dad wants you to step up and so some initiative so the Jeep can be yours. The first question I have is why put money into something that isn't yours. i.e. bumpers, winch, lift and tires. If your really worried about MPG by a beater honda to go back and forth. Give your dad a payment plan or some kind of plan to make that jeep yours. Realize you can't have everything all at once.

My $0.02
chrisjsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #69
Chad184
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I get 240 a tank with a 4.0. Comes out to about 18 miles a gallon without the fuel light coming on. only mod I have are 9.5X30 tires - not really a mod. that's with the hard top. Soft top gets a tad better.
Chad184 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #70
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

LMAO at the OP.

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #71
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamwells8 View Post
the jeep is my dad but i drive it. he lets me drive it and i pay for the gas and the insurance when i have the money for it. im saving up to but it from him but it is his jeep
You can't afford a Jeep.
Get a job, move out, pay all your own bills while driving a 30+ mpg beater, and THEN buy a Jeep.

Jeeps get crappy mileage, modded or not. Deal with it.

As long as you live at home and Daddy pays any part of your insurance or gas, STFU. You'll do what he tells you, and if you're not a complete loser crybaby, you'll be grateful he helps you out at all.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #72
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah... and note... no smiley faces or dancing banannas. Serious reply to a waste of time post.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #73
williamwells8
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPyle585 View Post
From one BAMA fan to another (graduated from UA in 07): If you're going to get on here and be a d!ck to everyone even though you're the one that started the thread by giving bad information, please leave anything related to Tuscaloosa or BAMA (the Roll Tide comment) out of posts. you're embarrassing the rest of us. maybe you should have gone to Auburn instead...
haha that was a good one but nope im an ALABAMA FAN. roll tide. thanks for all the helpful advice who actually tried to help
williamwells8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #74
williamwells8
1999 TJ Wrangler 

this is the most replies ive ever gotten on a thread, keep it up
Unread 02-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #75
williamwells8
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjsmith4 View Post
Will,

Obviously you are a little young, no need to get upset taking a little heat. It fuels the fire. CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM .. Sounds like your dad wants you to step up and so some initiative so the Jeep can be yours. The first question I have is why put money into something that isn't yours. i.e. bumpers, winch, lift and tires. If your really worried about MPG by a beater honda to go back and forth. Give your dad a payment plan or some kind of plan to make that jeep yours. Realize you can't have everything all at once.

My $0.02
the point for putting money into a car i dont have is so i dont drive around with a stock jeep. jeeps are made for fun, off-roading, and for adding things to it.

i honestly dont care if yall say some comments mean toward me. i think it pretty funny yall getting all mad at be because my dad did something with his life and made a lot of money and not making me pay for all the insurance when i don't have the money for it.

i honestly dont care bout the gas milage, im paying for the gas. my dad just wanting me to find anyway ways i can get better gas milage but that did not work.

Tags
gas milage , gas mileage increase , help needed , help please , mpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.