need help bad. might have to sell jeep :help: - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > need help bad. might have to sell jeep :help:

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
williamwells8
1999 TJ Wrangler 

need help bad. might have to sell jeep :help:

ive got a really big problem. i have a 99 sport tj. I put a XHD bumper system with stinger on and then XRC 10 Smittybuilt winch on front. i have not gotten tires or lift yet but im getting them over the summer. when i drive from my house up to college i use about half a tank, its about 190 miles.
CORRECTION: i get a half a tank in 63 miles!!!!

Do i get terrible gas milage bc of how heavy it is in the front or what???

My dad is going to make me sell MY JEEP if i cant figure something out!!!!!!!!!!!

I am in such a

NEED HELP BAD

Last edited by williamwells8; 02-02-2011 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: made a error and caused hate mail
williamwells8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

im gonna go ahead and say thats probably part of the problem. try a tune up lately? or try taking that winch off for a few weeks and see if it gets better

The Build
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
Rob 99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The bumper/winch definitely won't help your MPG. If you bought the Jeep for good MPG you bought the wrong vehicle. The best MPG you're likely to squeeze out of your 99' is probably 19-20mpg.

07' WK Silver 5.7 QD2, Bilsteins & front strut plates.
Rob 99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
bmw91
2004 TJ Wrangler 

think about it, you're driving a jeep not a prius. if i got 190 miles on half a tank i'd be pretty happy

but for an actual answer: more weight = less mileage
bmw91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You got 190 miles out of half a tank and you think something is wrong? Most jeep owners would kill for that mileage. Do a search for mileage threads and you'll find people getting 190 out of a full tank.
Unread 02-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ummm, if you have a 19 gallon tank than that's really good gas mileage.... Why would your dad make you sell YOUR jeep?

Probably because he is paying for your gas still? Or still paying payments on the Jeep? If so then stop your *****ing because I have to pay for ALL my gas and I get a lot worse mileage than that.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with the guy above. LOL

I get about 215 miles on a tank with mine. Sometimes up to 220 or so. This is with a 4.0 motor and driving 90% highway at 65mph average.

My advice is drive 5-7mph slower than you do now and that'll help, take it easy off the line, it's not a race. Keep the rpms under 2200 as much as possible.

Furthermore are you running 87 octane? I do. Unless your motor pings there's no reason to run 89 or 91 etc.
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

Okay if your 18 and your parents are still paying for you car you got an issue. But in regards to your problem I get 120miles out of a half a tank make sure that parents understand thats only lilke 20 bucks in gas since is only a 19gal tank. But I would tune it up change the plugs, air filter, oil and see if that helps.
Cobra 29 CB, 4ft Firestick Antenna, Skid Row Evap Skid, Rockhard Engine Skid, Rockhard Tranny Skid, Mesh Grill Mod, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Front and Rear ARB Diff Covers, Smittybilt Rock Rails, KC 130Watt Long Range Lights, Delta Light Mounts, TorqFlo tranny cooler, Hood Louvers, Drake Hood Pins, AEV Snorkel, Smittybilt 10,000 Winch, Rockhard Shorty Bumper with KC 100watt Slim Light Driving Lights, JKS ACOS Front System, Breather Extensions.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Everyone keeps talking in the context of the 19 gallon tank, but wouldn't OP have the smaller tank? 190 miles on half of the smaller tank is per gallon mileage high enough that I have a hard time believing it, so I really don't understand OP thinking it is poor. That kind of mileage would be decent even for a non-jeep. Sounds like a Prius may be the only way to keep Dad happy.
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Everyone keeps talking in the context of the 19 gallon tank, but wouldn't OP have the smaller tank? 190 miles on half of the smaller tank is per gallon mileage high enough that I have a hard time believing it, so I really don't understand OP thinking it is poor. That kind of mileage would be decent even for a non-jeep. Sounds like a Prius may be the only way to keep Dad happy.
He has the 4.0L and I don't think the smaller tank was very common. I think the smaller tank was more common on the 2.5L, but I could be wrong.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #11
Chiles
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So your saying your getting 380 miles a tank? That's 20MPG! I'd KILL to have that.
Chiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
j_niko
2000 TJ Wrangler 

hell, 190 on a half a tank sounds good to me..........
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

what mpg did you get before the mods ? or how much gas did the same trip take before the mods ?
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
vibenation
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here is another way to look at it....

Ask Dad what mileage would make him happy, and then work from there.

If it is close to what the Jeep is actually getting (is fairly simple to figure out what you are getting, make a spreadsheet, fill in the amount added, miles traveled, etc..) offer to pay the difference and get Dad off your back.

If it is way lower than what he expects to see, get a beater with much better mileage and drive it back and forth when racking up tons of miles.

I waited a long time to get my Jeep, and have an old Camry for when the miles are many and the roads are paved. I am holding off on some of my mods so that I can buy a better Daily Driver (the Camry is solid but has 160K miles on it) to deal with the same issue. I pay for my Jeep, Gas, and everything else and have for many years since my college days, it gets expensive but just have to deal with it.

Instead of freaking out, work with Dad to find a solution or at least find out what his expectations are so you know what the actual issue is.
vibenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #15
lesterss

lol hell I could take off the top & doors and throw out the back seat and still not get 20mpg going downhill with a tailwind, how much you going to ask for yours it sounds like a dream machine.
lesterss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas milage , gas mileage increase , help needed , help please , mpg

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.